Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Or you could also consider going with this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Which I also believe uses the same LCD panel as the ACD.

Thanks for posting that. I recently went to Microcenter to look at a bunch of screens and must have missed that one. Interesting specs. And correct me if I'm wrong but the ACD is actually not wide color gamut is it? For me it's out of the question anyway because of the glossy screen but just wanted to confirm that.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Can anyone confirm this. I would not be able to hook two of these up to the Mini for a 2 monitor setup at native res correct?

I read on this thread that it is basically the same as the ACD. Also some of the reviewers on the Microcenter link mention that. I guess you wouldn't be able to know for 100% unless you tore it down and got part numbers?

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
I read on this thread that it is basically the same as the ACD. Also some of the reviewers on the Microcenter link mention that. I guess you wouldn't be able to know for 100% unless you tore it down and got part numbers?

What I was thinking is two monitor setup via DP and HDMI as I know the Display is not thunderbolt compatible. HDMI from what I've read is 1080p only. Just wanting to confirm this is still the case with the new 2012 iMac.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
The Auria EQ276W 27" IPS LED monitor for $399 at microcenter.
is a good monitor. and works with mac mini 2012.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Pros:
- Cheap
- Supports 2560x1440 @ 27" 60hz
- Has DP, HDMI, DL-DVI, VGA and 2x3W Speakers.
- Has warranty iirc, and MC return/exchange/refund policy (which is awesome). If it's bad, just exchange.

Cons:
- The DisplayPort plug on the monitor is backwards. Makes it VERY HARD to remove a DP plug if you've plugged it in.
- Has a gloss coating, because of the way they did construction there is a chance dust maybe behind the coating leading to stuck like pixels.
- Panels are Grade A or A-, NOT A+. So don't expect perfection.
- Stand is terrible. But you can get a replacement from monoprice or amazon.

Hey Milkmandan, Can you confirm you only get 1080p using HDMI with 2012 Mac Mini?

Last edited:

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Ok, looks like I got my answer.

No go for native 1440p on HDMI in OSX even on 2012 Mac Mini but works fine on Windows/Bootcamp. You can get 1440p to work on OSX over HDMI using SwitchResX but running at 40Hz which is ok for most apps, but probably not for gaming which is fine with me (I would use it for working with 2D apps).

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
that is interesting, if i were going korean monoprice is best place I have seen so far to buy. I bought the apple TB today because I was scared of the build quality, hassles with adapters, returns, not being able to see one firsthand, etc with the Korean monitors. I am afraid apple will update the TB soon and I hope it is before my 30 day return period ends with BestBuy. I am still gonna keep my eyes open for 30 days for an NEC.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
How do I check for dead/stuck pixels or light bleed on my new apple thunderbolt, I assume I change the desktop to a solid color and look for dead stuck pixels?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
The Dell U2711 is on sale today at the Dell SMB website for $649 plus free shipping..

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...1225267-VUzJLlYEEeK5VKYqsUvgHA0_yvtN3_eKL_0_0

I have this, it's a great monitor that I use with pc's and macs (via dual link dvi)

BUT!

The DisplayPort functionality is faulty on ALL u2711's, its existed for ages and Dell have never fixed it. Google it, lots of people had problem and there's no 100% reliable fix. In a nutshell, it loses signal, you cycle inputs, it sometimes comes back.....then it loses signal again (power saving mode).

As such I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS MONITOR for use purely with a Mac mini. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

bradbear

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
I have this, it's a great monitor that I use with pc's and macs (via dual link dvi)

BUT!

The DisplayPort functionality is faulty on ALL u2711's, its existed for ages and Dell have never fixed it. Google it, lots of people had problem and there's no 100% reliable fix. In a nutshell, it loses signal, you cycle inputs, it sometimes comes back.....then it loses signal again (power saving mode).

As such I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS MONITOR for use purely with a Mac mini. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

I have a Dell UltraSharp U2713H that I purchased for $589 and I have to say it has been perfect. (Price is currently $849. Wait for a sale)
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=ussoho1&l=en&s=soho&~topic=ultrasharp_monitor.
The anti glare coating is spot on and running the mini display port to display port has worked perfectly. My personal experience is you wont be disappointed. (Pic. Sorry about quality was taken with iphone 4.)

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 169

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I have a Dell UltraSharp U2713H that I purchased for $589 and I have to say it has been perfect.

Im sure the u2731H is very good. I'm just saying, do NOT buy the u2711 linked above, it has known issues with the DisplayPort. It's a great monitor, but the DP doesn't play nice.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Re: my previous posts about the Dell u2711, a miracle has happened!

I had endless problems using my old umbp with it over DP years ago. Googling confirmed lots of people with a variety of pc's/macs had similar problems with the DisplayPort, and a visit to Dell support forums showed they were aware and no fix is ever coming.

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd try my new mini with it over DP (instead of the flakey dual link dvi adaptor I already owned) and a month later I can safely say it works perfectly!!! I'm really surprised, and I haven't a clue why it works perfectly where it didn't previously. I'm even using the same mdp-dp cable I used originally. I'm delighted because otherwise it's been a great purchase, had it for years, (used it mainly with my pc previously) and now it's seamless using it with both pc and mac.

That said, I'd be reluctant to recommend anyone buy one now unless it's massively reduced. Better to buy a newer model for safety's sake.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
Whats the major difference in the 2 Apple monitors? I know the Thunderbolt connection but visually is there any difference? Are they glossy screens like the (previous) imacs? What other 27 " is comparable? Some of the ones I see mentioned in this thread seemed to be priced at about the same cost as a refurb Apple . Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.