Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djdsas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Trending on twitter right now!
Send your message to apple!
Please let your message be heard
Tweet:
#weWantAnOpenIOS
Started by @pod2g

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
Trending on twitter right now!
Send your message to apple!
Please let your message be heard
Tweet:
#weWantAnOpenIOS
Started by @pod2g

yeah.. would be cool if they actually added larger SDK / API . Wishful thinking.. but anything is possible.

Anyone who wants to help
http://twitition.com/mdinc
email tcook@apple.com
enhancement requests @ http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

and let your followers know to do the same if you have twitter.
https://twitter.com/sloppycarlson/status/286870506613919746

32800195.jpg

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
It will result nothing, but I did it anyways...

yeah like i said wishful thinking..but wont hurt to try. Apple would rather have a closed control $ystem..and have brilliant minds do their security research for them for free with every jailbreak.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
yeah like i said wishful thinking..but wont hurt to try. Apple would rather have a closed control $ystem..and have brilliant minds do their security research for them for free with every jailbreak.

True story. But let's hope for the best, we'll find that pigs can fly after all :p

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
This goes all the way back to Steve Jobs and I don't know if you can disagree with Steve Jobs as he became a billionaire and completely turned Apple around from bankruptcy to arguably the most succesful company in America. Apple has over 100 billion in cash.

Steve Jobs believed that he was smarter than the customer and he knew what the customer wanted better than they did. I do think there is some truth to this. I think 98% of iPhone users don't really want to bother with tweaking the fonts on their phone and changing the calculator icon. I care about that stuff but I am in the minority.

Anyways what scares me about this is that Pod2G is starting this. Is this a sign that they've thrown in the towell on the idea of jailbreaking iOS 6?

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Well you know... it was just the other day that pod2g tweeted about his intentions toward getting back to work on JB'ing in a few days, after he completes some app related work.

So, while his tweets this morning might suggest a lack of confidence in a new exploit, he might also simply wish for an easier way, to avoid all this JB work going forward.

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
That's what Im affraid too.
Its like saying ok you won, please make iOS open.

nahh I dont believe its about skills.. i think him, planetbeing or any other of the devs on that level can do it..a while back planetbeing said they almost had a fully functional tether..they had 3 of the 4 needed or something like that. they just havent had the time outside of their lives. They have jobs. Not sure about planetbeing but pod2g has kids too.

we need more young talent that still lives at home with their parents ;)

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Whatever.

If iOS 6 isn't jailbroken by the time the new iHardware drops and iOS 7 is released without any external customization, I'm jumping ship. Period.

And with that, likely will be my Apple-centric gadget mindset. Apple is seriously pissing me off with their arrogance here.

ACardAttack

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Whatever.

If iOS 6 isn't jailbroken by the time the new iHardware drops and iOS 7 is released without any external customization, I'm jumping ship. Period.

And with that, likely will be my Apple-centric gadget mindset. Apple is seriously pissing me off with their arrogance here.
I'm in the same boat as you...I'm on 4s at the moment, but he battery has become horrible so when I need a new one and there hasnt been a jailbreak for anything on iOS6, hello galaxy IV (or what ever is the top android then)

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
So, while his tweets this morning might suggest a lack of confidence in a new exploit, he might also simply wish for an easier way, to avoid all this JB work going forward.

I kind of figure it's the latter. While I'm sure a lot of these guys enjoy messing around in the underpinnings of iOS (otherwise they wouldn't be doing it), I have to think they'd rather Apple just open the thing up so they can spend their time on something more permanent.

They put in all this work, and then Apple fixes the bug in a month or so and it's back to square one. It has to be frustrating.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
I kind of figure it's the latter. While I'm sure a lot of these guys enjoy messing around in the underpinnings of iOS (otherwise they wouldn't be doing it), I have to think they'd rather Apple just open the thing up so they can spend their time on something more permanent.

They put in all this work, and then Apple fixes the bug in a month or so and it's back to square one. It has to be frustrating.

I agree with you... personally I think pod2g could play a part in a releasable JB for 6.1 if he wanted, that is to say, his skill level... and those of the rest of the dev team is plenty skilled enough to do.

But, if apple just loosened the apron straps a bit and let us customize grids/icons/dock/lock screen/notification center/widgets/etc. then a JB would be almost worthless.

Sure it's nice have root access and making changes to the core file structure, but with the proper dev tools most anything imagined could be accomplished without a true JB.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Hell, I'd be happy if Apple just copied BiteSMS and allowed alternative browsers. If it weren't for BiteSMS and Browser Changer/Nitrous, I'd have little reason to jailbreak.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
How many people here would buy a developer account for themselves if Apple allowed devs to have root access?

Why would a dev have root access to make apps if they can't then go and sell the app/tweak to the normal public. ;)

By the time iOS is open it will have morphed into an OSX device. We are getting close power & battery wise and win surface has shown us it is possible now.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
yeah.. would be cool if they actually added larger SDK / API . Wishful thinking.. but anything is possible.

Anyone who wants to help
http://twitition.com/mdinc
email tcook@apple.com
enhancement requests @ http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

and let your followers know to do the same if you have twitter.
https://twitter.com/sloppycarlson/status/286870506613919746

Basically people are now spamming Apple's feedback site...

Will it even do something? Its not like its going to help Apple. lol

It'll probably make it worst as now all the actual feedback is piled with a bunch of jailbreak feedback.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I'm in the same boat as you...I'm on 4s at the moment, but he battery has become horrible so when I need a new one and there hasnt been a jailbreak for anything on iOS6, hello galaxy IV (or what ever is the top android then)

You realize the battery on practically any Android phone is absolutely rubbish, especially if you install any hacks beyond stock. Anything cool, the stuff that people drool over Android about, sucks up a ton of battery.

Not to mention with a good number of downsides, particularly regarding the whole Marketplace and device fragmentation, there's a good chance you'll be complaining on an Android forum about wanting your iPhone back.

Don't get me wrong, I had an Android for a while and loved it (used as an interim phone after my 3g broke and before my contract was up). The hacks were really cool (and I REALLY miss the whole Nandroid backup system), but they had a seriously detrimental effect on the battery life.

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
Basically people are now spamming Apple's feedback site...

Will it even do something? Its not like its going to help Apple. lol

It'll probably make it worst as now all the actual feedback is piled with a bunch of jailbreak feedback.

you're right..apple doesnt have the manpower or money to check the allllll these enchantment requests... :rolleyes:

They dont implement but a few..and the few they do.. it takes some time between ios releases.. im sure they wont have a problem getting trough them..

and to all the nay sayers that this is sad and admitting defeat..

"This is false in many ways. Firstly, the jailbreak is being developed in the underground, and is just not ready for a public release."

https://twitter.com/pod2g/status/287132376667144193
https://twitter.com/pod2g/status/287132568262959104

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.