Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
the iPhone 4 is $450 off contract. Samsung has android phones as low as $80 off contract.

So, what's your point?

The Lamborghini Aventador is $397,500. Nissan has the Versa Sedan as low as $10,990.

The only thing that really counts is not sales dollars, but the total net profit each is making.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Amazing how Google and Samsung have kept (and gained) their share. Truly a force to be reckoned with..

True.

But when you combine options, more capabilities without jail breaking, simplicity, and is it really surprising that android is ruining the market?

Apple stopped innovating - at least on the phone front. Everything they are now calling "New" has already been done before them (panoramic camera, pictures while shooting video, front facing camera, video chatting over the network etc) had been done first.

Plus ios has essentially remained unchanged from phone to phone and had gotten stale.

I used to adore my iPhones until I got my galaxy s 3.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
True.

But when you combine options, more capabilities without jail breaking, simplicity, and is it really surprising that android is ruining the market?

Apple stopped innovating - at least on the phone front. Everything they are now calling "New" has already been done before them (panoramic camera, pictures while shooting video, front facing camera, video chatting over the network etc) had been done first.

Plus ios has essentially remained unchanged from phone to phone and had gotten stale.

I used to adore my iPhones until I got my galaxy s 3.

And some people still like the iPhone... I'm hearing estimates of 50 million boring iPhones sold this quarter.

Frankly... I'm glad both platforms exist.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
And some people still like the iPhone... I'm hearing estimates of 50 million boring iPhones sold this quarter.

Frankly... I'm glad both platforms exist.

The more the better for consumers, it's competition that forces companies to better themselves.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
That's a lot lower than I thought... Most anyone I see walking around on their phone has an iPhone.
I'm seeing the opposite. Just about everybody I know has an Android. I have both, so when I pull out my iPhone, I sometimes get, "Wait, you still have an iPhone? I thought you were using an Android now." The trend I noticed used to be that iPhones were more commonly seen (by me, not any sort of fact) being used by girls and younger people/teens.

What always amazes me is how many tablets I see. I fly somewhere a few times a month, and I always see a ton of iPads, Galaxy Tabs, and Mac laptops on my flights. I've seen a huge drop in PC laptops for sure, but they're replaced by tablets and Kindles. I used to see full sized iPads, but I've actually not seen them for at least four flights now. I think the smaller tablets are really taking over, or people are leaving the bigger tablets in their homes.

This is all my own observation and opinion, so feel free to tell me I'm, "like, toadally wrong, mang."

imacintosh.0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Always does, people trying to justify market share... like it really matters for them which sides get the market share...

I think the only ones championing a company successes should be investors. Any one else just comes across a little strange.

That being said: GO APPL!

*own 100 measly shares

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
This is all my own observation and opinion, so feel free to tell me I'm, "like, toadally wrong, mang."

It is wrong to say you are wrong actually. It also depends on where you are. Where I am, I rarely see anyone using a tablet. But when I went to California last year, most people had iPhones and I saw a lot of people using iPads.

----------

I think the only ones championing a company successes should be investors. Any one else just comes across a little strange.

That being said: GO APPL!

*own 100 measly shares

You are 100% right. I find it funny when people use the term ''we'' when they don't even own a share lol

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The more the better for consumers, it's competition that forces companies to better themselves.

Agreed. An example is the iPad Mini. Would probably not exist if it weren't for competitors in the marketplace - even Eddie Cue's email illustrates that.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Not real strange when you consider the investment people make into the ecosystem. The strength of the company makes it likely that the ecosystem has a strong future.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
It is wrong to say you are wrong actually. It also depends on where you are. Where I am, I rarely see anyone using a tablet. But when I went to California last year, most people had iPhones and I saw a lot of people using iPads.
Yeah, I live in the Denver area, so that's were a lot of my observation is... but then I travel a *lot*, and I'm also throwing in observations of multiple visits to Austin TX, Hawaiian islands, Amsterdam NL, London & Brighton UK, Portland OR... and all the airports between and such. :)

I grew up in Huntington Beach, California, and therefore I try to avoid that area as much as possible. I will grant you that it's a whole separate world as far as what's popular or normal, haha! Thing is, Brighton, UK and Austin, TX are pretty "out-there" (in a good way!) as well as my own Boulder, CO. :p

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

I work in dance studios in NC/SC.

Almost every kid, mom and dad has an iPhone... and I see tons of iPads sticking up in the audience recording at dance competitions!

It really depends on where you live.

In the US... the iPhone is 53% of smartphone sales... and 18% of ALL phones.

Worldwide... the iPhone is 20% of smartphone sales... and 10% of ALL phones.

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
You have to compare apples to apples. Android is on a lot of handsets. Apple only makes a few. Retention to the OS is more important then, right?

If that's the case - (http://appleinsider.com/articles/11..._rate_next_nearest_hardware_is_htc_at_39.html)

HTC, Motorola and Samsung combined (retention) is 92 percent. Granted - they make phones that are not Android.

So you can't really compare.

I would say both OSes are doing very well in keeping loyalty.

oh, indeed. and apple and the above mentioned has 181% retention combined. impossibly well, i'd say.

anyway:
appleinsider said:
Android fared better when users were asked solely about software, as 55 percent said they would stick with Google's mobile platform. But an additional 31 percent of Android users also indicated they are likely to switch to an iPhone for their next handset, leaving Apple a sizable chunk of Android users.

imacintosh.0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Not real strange when you consider the investment people make into the ecosystem. The strength of the company makes it likely that the ecosystem has a strong future.

This is true. I guess it's hard to explain. I understand 100% if you support a company because you like their products and their philosophies etc. It's like a sports team lol.

If I didn't own a share, I'd still be excited whenever Apple introduces a new product. I don't know if I'd be as excited at the earnings reports like I am now though (and I have such a little amount of shares relatively speaking)

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Isn't profit what those manufacturers are after? The only company looking for market share rather than profits on hardware is Google, because they don't make their money selling hardware, but rather by mining user data in order to sell targeted ads.

Google wants profits too and has a lot of problems monetizing off Android

It doesn't matter that Android is gaining mobile marketshare when stuff like this is happening
- Android is gaining marketshare on the low end phones and in countries like India, where people don't even use data. No data plans = no Google services = no revenue
- Companies like Amazon are hijacking Android and reskinning it to totally eliminate Google services

It's why they bought Motorola. That upcoming Google branded phone matters a lot. If it's a hit, Google can monetize off hardware. If it's not, Google Android monetization will continue to suck and they'll either have to keep giving away Android for little return or kill it

imacintosh.0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Google wants profits too and has a lot of problems monetizing off Android

It doesn't matter that Android is gaining mobile marketshare when stuff like this is happening
- Android is gaining marketshare on the low end phones and in countries like India, where people don't even use data. No data plans = no Google services = no revenue
- Companies like Amazon are hijacking Android and reskinning it to totally eliminate Google services

It's why they bought Motorola. That upcoming Google branded phone matters a lot. If it's a hit, Google can monetize off hardware. If it's not, Google Android monetization will continue to suck and they'll either have to keep giving away Android for little return or kill it

I agree that marketshare is a pretty useless metric when it comes down to what all companies want which is profit. However, Google makes plenty off iPhone and ipad users. That's probably why the Google apps get updates on ios before android lol

Contrary to popular belief, Google loves money just as much as the next guy!

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I am impressed with Samsung growth in the market. 10 years ago, my TV set and phone was LG, and my camera was Sony. Now my TV sets are Samsung, phone is Samsung and camera is Samsung. When comparing to non Apple products, they do have the lead.

The only thing they cant make right is a computer or a tablet, but Apple is invincible in this game

I was impressed when my family got together for Christmas, everyone in the room had an iPhone, 20+ people. Not one single Android device, and my non-android Samsung phone was the only mobile wich wasnt touchscreen.

imacintosh.0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
I am impressed with Samsung growth in the market. 10 years ago, my TV set and phone was LG, and my camera was Sony. Now my TV sets are Samsung, phone is Samsung and camera is Samsung. When comparing to non Apple products, they do have the lead.

The only thing they cant make right is a computer or a tablet, but Apple is invincible in this game

Which is actually pretty interesting if you think about it. I wonder why Samsung was able to take such a lead in phones but is such a miserable failure in tablets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.