Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suclearnub

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Equestria
Which editing software is better?
Final Cut Pro X or PowerDirector? I have boot camp so OS is irrelevant. Also, price is irrelevant too.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
If price is irrelevant, try them both out. It really depends on your workflow and what best suits your particular needs. FCP X works well.

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
If OS is also irrelevant than may I suggest Sony Vegas Pro if you're going to boot camp anyways? It's the best video editor I've used and I much prefer the way it works compared to say FCPX or Premiere. If Sony makes a native Mac version I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
Honestly, this is like asking which alcohol is the 'best'.. its based on preference.

Is 'best' meaning easiest? most features? compatibility?

I edit daily on either FCP or Avid symphony, and if I can make a hybrid of them both, that would be the best. Well, maybe 70 avid and 30 FCP. But understandable learning Avid is a milestone.

I feel premiere has got the edge because of the integration with the rest of the adobe suite, for me is After Effects.

Try a few out and see for yourself! Thats the most important, whats best for you, not whats best for others.

dodge this

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2009

I would not suggest premiere. From a lab management standpoint, it can be a huge pain. I have had lots of problems with adobe products in a lab management setting. With every cs release they seem to savor the challenge of how to both bloat the software and how many new processes they can add to break the software. Usually discovered on a deadline. :rolleyes:

I have never heard of powerdirector. But, who knows until it is used. What makes you happier and if you have clients who care about it, what are clients wanting to see you edit in? Which crashes less? If you do Quickie edits, which is the best for that? Look at your workflow and work environment that will answer your questions. :)

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I would not suggest premiere. From a lab management standpoint, it can be a huge pain. I have had lots of problems with adobe products in a lab management setting. With every cs release they seem to savor the challenge of how to both bloat the software and how many new processes they can add to break the software. Usually discovered on a deadline. :rolleyes:

Check out Creative Cloud for Teams then. From a management standpoint, it's a dream. It's for people just like you: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#ccm-teams

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.