Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
How's the battery life? And can you check which REV version you have? You do so by restarting into fastboot by holding down volume up and down while you power up.

Pretty crappy to be honest, but its the only real issue with the device. I have the bumper on it so the "sex appeal" (if a phone can have it) weighs out everything else. Plus there's no lag at all with all this power.

Also, Rev_11

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
That's the thing that keeps putting me off getting the nexus 4.

Some people say battery is fine whilst others say is pretty bad. Any sign of a software update to help resolve this yet?

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I held a nexus 4 last night as a mate had one at my new years celebration.

My gosh it's a good looking phone! software was so buttery smooth and now i'm in a dilemma

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
That's the thing that keeps putting me off getting the nexus 4.

Some people say battery is fine whilst others say is pretty bad. Any sign of a software update to help resolve this yet?

The battery life is Meh, the GSIII has better battery. But I've heard that this is a software problem, and not a hardware problem. Let's hope, as I plan to pass along my GSIII soon.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I've just binned my iPhone 5 for the Nexus 4 and can honestly say I am glad I did.

I've adapted to Android and the size of the device a lot quicker than I expected to.

Using it has showed my personally that iOS allowed me to just use the device for its intended purpose, and the iPhone 5 battery is much better. However, using Android on the Nexus 4 is just something else. The battery life on the Nexus 4 is not a problem for me. I can get 20 hours out of a charge with my usage. It is less than my iPhone, but still fit for my needs.

I wouldn't say I am a heavy user, but I do have Exchange Push, GMail Push, iCloud Pull, Bluetooth on, Juice Defender controls wifi, Mobile is always on, minimal screen brightness. I check email, Facebook, twitter and browse the Internet couple times an hour.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think the battery is good enough to get by, but can certainly be better. It is a software issue (according to the folks at XDA) where the phone doesn't go to deep sleep due to an issue very deep or low in the kernel (whatever that means!). My understanding is that Google is aware of this and will issue a fix to it and other minor bugs (4.2 is still new, mind you). Just not sure when.

In the mean time, I think I'm managing fair. This is my average from pretty active use. Almost 3 hours of screen on time (which, remember, is different from iOS' usage time):

EFMUJ.png

4Uwtr.png

aVhKb.png

Here's a day where my usage is a little more moderate:

2Fxbb.png

fAtxk.png

And HSPA+ is a thing of beauty. This is what I usually average:

eVOTj.png

Last edited:

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
So far I get like 7 hours on battery with 2 of screen on time. Though that was the first day so maybe it has to be broken in. Hopefully we will have an update soon.

As for HSPA+, its always been terrible for me. But everywhere I go (even my school) has unlocked WiFi.
uploadfromtaptalk1357069885260.jpg

Now you can call me stupid but I went for the 8gb version, I stream music, movies are on my tablet, and I don't use many apps. So I have loaded all of my needed apps plus a few games and I still have over half of my storage left. The only thing I have to keep in mind is that I should delete my old .zip files from flashing things in CWM. uploadfromtaptalk1357070011325.jpg

So for the battery I so far have 91% left after 1 hour and 15 minutes in battery with 15 minutes screen on time. Pretty crappy! (Still love this thing though!)

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Congratulations on your new phone:) I found that as I had mine longer the battery life increased, I did let it run down to nearly empty each time, it might have been luck on my part getting a good battery. I am not a power user however.

I love this phone.:)

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Thanks! Congrats on the battery life!!

Mines a little better today, but I still want a little more. My days last 16 hours on average

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357118857378.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357118857378.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 57

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Battery life on the nexus 4 is like 1hr+ than the iphone 4s, ive been using both for 2 months now and that seems the case for me.

Should point out that im a heavy tapatalk user so my screen is on a lot.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Not sure what this means, but sounds important: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...laxy-nexus-nexus-4-and-nexus-7-available-now/

AOKP Starts Over With Jelly Bean 4.2 - Build 1 For Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 And Nexus 7 Available Now

Good news, ROM enthusiasts: the Android Open Kang Project has released the much-anticipated first build of 4.2. Bad news: it's a completely new ROM, built from the ground up. That means that it won't be quite as feature-packed as you remembered, and device support is limited to the more popular Nexus models, at least for now. You'll also need to install a recovery that's compatible with 4.2 ROMs (the latest ClockworkMod and TWRP should do the trick) and do a full data wipe of your previous ROM. Warm up Titanium Backup.

By any chance does it mean bug fixes are coming??? :eek:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Not sure what this means, but sounds important: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...laxy-nexus-nexus-4-and-nexus-7-available-now/

AOKP Starts Over With Jelly Bean 4.2 - Build 1 For Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 And Nexus 7 Available Now

Good news, ROM enthusiasts: the Android Open Kang Project has released the much-anticipated first build of 4.2. Bad news: it's a completely new ROM, built from the ground up. That means that it won't be quite as feature-packed as you remembered, and device support is limited to the more popular Nexus models, at least for now. You'll also need to install a recovery that's compatible with 4.2 ROMs (the latest ClockworkMod and TWRP should do the trick) and do a full data wipe of your previous ROM. Warm up Titanium Backup.

By any chance does it mean bug fixes are coming??? :eek:

I have no idea if they submit fixes to Google or not but I've been running their ROM ever since I got my Nexus 4. It's definitely my favourite ROM and despite what that says, they still have more features than some of the other ROMs. They also added the Qualcomm fixes that were causing battery drains while on data on the stock kernel. I'm guessing you guys will notice better battery life whenever Googles decides to add those fixes to their kernel.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I have no idea if they submit fixes to Google or not but I've been running their ROM ever since I got my Nexus 4. It's definitely my favourite ROM and despite what that says, they still have more features than some of the other ROMs. They also added the Qualcomm fixes that were causing battery drains while on data on the stock kernel. I'm guessing you guys will notice better battery life whenever Googles decides to add those fixes to their kernel.

That's great news! Can't wait.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
What exactly is wrong with it? My device had a whole section that became completely unresponsive. And due to the location of that setting, the device was unusable.

The LCD just stopped at one point while unlocking it, but I was able to use it "blindly" because the touch screen worked

Any idea when Google will have these back in stock?

June 7th 1945

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.