Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 12.02.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 12.02.14 PM.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 122

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm generally in agreement with those who think this was handled poorly. There are threads created by admins/moderators for just about every change that happens around here to explain what is happening, but not this one?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I agree there. To me, after g5, would be core solo, core duo, core2duo,yada yada

Core Solo, Core 2 Duo etc. are not architectures, they are product names. For example Core 2 Duo spans across two architectures (Core and Penryn). Intel's current product naming scheme (Core i3, i5 and i7) has been used for four different architectures (Nehalem, Westmere, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge) and if leaks are to believe, Haswell will also use the same naming system. Hence using the product names would be risky because we don't know when Intel is going to change the system and it would also be confusing because an Ivy Bridge i5 is far from being the same as Westmere i5.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Core Solo, Core 2 Duo etc. are not architectures, they are product names. For example Core 2 Duo spans across two architectures (Core and Penryn). Intel's current product naming scheme (Core i3, i5 and i7) has been used for four different architectures (Nehalem, Westmere, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge) and if leaks are to believe, Haswell will also use the same naming system. Hence using the product names would be risky because we don't know when Intel is going to change the system and it would also be confusing because an Ivy Bridge i5 is far from being the same as Westmere i5.

Yet there were different iterations of g3, g4, and g5s and that didn't stop using them as rankings.

In other words, g3, g4, and g5 are product names like core duo is

----------

Who..Friggin..Cares..

Is a user ranking all that important in the grand scheme of things ?

You could use that logic to discredit anything forum related...

Last edited:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Yet there were different iterations of g3, g4, and g5s and that didn't stop using them as rankings.

There were different iterations (I'm not sure if that is the correct word but let's go with it) of the G3, but the Core Duo ("Yonah") is an iteration of the P6.

The link OllyW provided above does a pretty good job of laying it all out.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
There were different iterations (I'm not sure if that is the correct word but let's go with it) of the G3, but the Core Duo ("Yonah") is an iteration of the P6.

The link OllyW provided above does a pretty good job of laying it all out.

I missed that link. I understand the logic behind the names at least

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

----------

You could use that logic to discredit anything forum related...

Not trying to "discredit" anything. Just saying the user rank is no big deal. Unlike when Apple switched from PPC to Intel. That was a big deal.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sarcasm is such a funny thing, especially on the internet.

What is sarcastic about pointing out a declarative post made by a member who wasn't all that serious after all? The answer is nothing, if you were stumped.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
What is sarcastic about pointing out a declarative post made by a member who wasn't all that serious after all? The answer is nothing, if you were stumped.

I was referring to Peace's post declaring that it was his last post on MR. It wasn't serious. I suppose sarcastic was poor word choice.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I have to admit I think its a good change. I'm only a G4, and even though I'm not that active (at least where posts count) anymore, I don't exactly have that few posts.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
This issue is one of those things that the more it's examined and discussed, the more cringlingly dorky and anal people become about it. Could have been an opportunity to change it to something less geeky and more imaginative.

Still, if it has to be, then for the love of FSM, do something about the irritating use of mixed case in the titles.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
makes me wonder how once prolific posters just cold turkey leave

I mean....they probably are still on a computer quite a bit

I hardly read Slashdot anymore, used to comment there like there's no tomorrow. Content just started seeming stale to me and I moved on.

As for titles ? Who gives a crap. It's a title that denotes post count. Guess what, your post count didn't change. G5 used to mean something great and big ? Too bad, now it's Nehalem that does! G5s are a dime a dozen now. Technology progresses and so do CPU architectures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.