Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
He's using a Nexus 10...

...let's kick his butt. :mad:

Bring it on!

apple-vs-android.jpg

:D

And since Apple hasn't used GG since the iPhone 1, this news is applicable to????

You know, if you don't like what the admins consider "news," then start your own site and only post what you think is news worthy. It's so annoying when people have to say "how is this news" blah blah blah.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Does Apple use it? Based on gorilla glass's site, they don't.

http://www.apple.com/about/job-creation/

Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Apple uses Gorilla Glass? I swear Apple devices scratch like butter compared to Android and Windows Phone devices.

Fun fact: Steve Jobs gave corning money to build factories so that they have enough capacity to build gorilla glass for iDevices.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
The more scratch-resistant it is, the easier it is to shatter the phone...I wish Apple would go back to glass that scratches easily but doesn't shatter if you drop the phone. I'd rather pay for a screen protector than an Otterbox.

We need the downvote back, because that is a load of bull right there.

The scratch resistance is NOT due to the material, but due to the coating.
Coating doesn't do anything to the flexibility and hence shatter probability and severeness of a material.

Glassed Silver:mac

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
We need the downvote back, because that is a load of bull right there.

The only good downvoting did was inflame others into an online ego war. It's better that people actually take the time to [civilly] address a comment than to passive-aggressively down-vote it. It also bullied people whose comments may be correct but others simply wanted to annoy that user, which happened quite often. I prefer the helpful comments being brought to the forefront of the threads through the new system, it allows me to view the top 5 or so without sifting through hundreds of posts.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Great. But glass seems scratch resistant enough. Now make it more shatter proof and that might be useful. I'm still casing my iPhone 5, albeit in a slim elago case. But I still don't trust these iPhones that are all metal and glass. Seems like they just don't have enough cushion on them to protect against falls.

But we shall see, two of my friends are going caseless with their iPhone 5's. Let's see how that works out for them. If their phones are still in one piece in a year, I will uncase mine.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I really like my iPhone 4. It fell like 8 times from around 5 feet and not a scratch. It could be luck but for me, it's resistant enough. Having future revisions even more resistant is great. I just think glass is too heavy. That's why the iPhone5 is much more lighter.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
how do u think they got the gorilla to pose with the ipad like that? and look at the camera so good?

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
What about Gorilla anodized aluminum?

There already exists tons of great anodised aluminium finishes that are just a fraction more expensive and alot more durable, but of course Apple wouldn't wan't to pay for that, it would make iPhones last longer and retain used value = less new phone sales.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
That's the most smug looking gorilla I've ever seen in my entire life.

Yeah, you just think you're cool, gorilla.

rotflmao

----------

The more scratch-resistant it is, the easier it is to shatter the phone...I wish Apple would go back to glass that scratches easily but doesn't shatter if you drop the phone. I'd rather pay for a screen protector than an Otterbox.

Is this really true? Hopefully they will be able to accomplish both.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
There already exists tons of great anodised aluminium finishes that are just a fraction more expensive and alot more durable, but of course Apple wouldn't wan't to pay for that, it would make iPhones last longer and retain used value = less new phone sales.

But not all of them are "compatible" with the Aluminum-Alloy used in your phone chassis. At the "molecular level", that is. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.