Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
This thread is meant to be a discussion on what the next iPhone might be. I have looked at some of the rumors out there; they seem to focus on the belief, or hope, that the next iPhone will have an even larger screen then the iPhone 5, may be available in several colors, and even more options for screen size. And rumors contained speculations of the next iPhone being called the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 5s.

Based off of the pattern I have seen from Apple I think it will be called the iPhone 5s. There was the iPhone, then the iPhone 3G, then the iPhone 3Gs, the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4s, and finally the iPhone 5; 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4s, and now 5... It simply makes sense. If they weren't going to stick to the pattern, why wouldn't they have called the iPhone 5 the iPhone 6, being that it is the 6th generation iPhone?

Another thing that would follow the pattern Apple has set so far, would be to increase the power and performance for the next iPhone while keeping the same look as the iPhone 5. Comparing the iPhones they have available now, you can see that the 4 has an A4 chip, the 4s has an A5 chip, and the 5 has an A6 chip (The new iPad had an A5x, and now the newest iPad has an A6x). Based on all this evidence. I think they will come out with the iPhone 5s when they figure out the new technology they need to make the expected upgrade; as far as the chip goes, once they have the A7 and A7x ready. (http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/)

I think the iPhone 5s (name is an assumption) will have the A7 chip, which, as far as we know, doesn't yet exist. Now for the RAM: the original iPhone the 3G both had 128MB , the 3Gs doubled that to 256MB, the 4 double again, to 512MB, the 4s stayed the same as the 4, and the 5 doubled to 1GB (1024MB). So, I think upgrading the RAM depends on two things: what the competition looks like, and if they can fit more in that slim phone.

According to the pattern, again, the battery life is likely to drop a little.

And, finally, according to both the pattern and what Apple has said time and time again; what they have said about every single phone they have made, the phone is likely to be available with one screen size. Apple has said that they specifically made the iPhone with this width because it is comfortable and usable with one hand. This is a major selling point every single time. They are likely to never make the screen wider. And, being that 16:9 is such a popular ratio, they will likely stick with this exact screen size right up until the last iPhone ever made.

Now that is my take. And as far as what I hope for, I like the iPhone 5 the way it is. More power is always a very welcome thing, so I like the direction they seem to be going; I like the new 16:9 ratio and, in fact, had hoped for a smart phone with this ratio for a long time.

So, what are your takes, hopes, and theories?

Last edited:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I'm on a two year upgrade cycle. Had a 3G, 4 and now 5. So...I'll probably skip the 5s and get the 6 sometime around Fall/Winter 2014.

As far as my hopes, I wish iOS 7 or 8 is less stale as the current springboard has become IMHO. I hope the iPhone 6 has a slightly bigger screen, more durable casing and better battery. In fact, battery is number one in my book. They can make the iPhone 6 as thick as the 4/4s if they just get the battery to last 10+ hours!

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
Improved camera

According to the pattern, you can clearly see on Apple's website, (http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/) the iSight camera is likely to be upgrade, the front facing is likely to stay the same for the iPhone 5s, and then the iSight is likely to stay the same for the iPhone 6 while the iSight is likely to upgrade on the iPhone 6. That is, if this particular pattern continues.

---- edit -----

And I think the screen is bright enough. Personally.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
So it will be called the 5S and have hardware improvements? Keep driving 88 Marty, you're doing great.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
So it will be called the 5S and have hardware improvements? Keep driving 88 Marty, you're doing great.

Keep in mind, the next iPhone being dubbed 5s is purely speculation. This is a thread of hopes and theories. But, if anyone has built a time machine and knows for sure...please keep it to yourself. I like to speculate, as plenty of others do, and I like the surprise. That is a part of what speculation is to me--building the suspense.

--- edit ---

To clarify that time machine comment to anyone who didn't get it, Interstella5555 called me Marty. Marty was the name of the lead character in Back to the Future, where he traveled into the Future with a DMC Delorean that was turned into a time machine.

p.s. Check out this short video (http://youtu.be/rczqP0FwWrk) it is iPhone 6 speculation at its most elaborate.

Last edited:

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
new iPhone

5 inch screen
NFC
Better Battery
Faster Chip
Improved Camera
Multi-tasking

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
So, I think upgrading the RAM depends on two things: what the competition looks like, and if they can fit more in that slim phone.
Has nothing to do with the 'slimness' of the phone. 2 GB of RAM would take up just as much space as 1 GB of RAM - except it would cost $0.25 more. And that's something Apple isn't willing to pay (and who could blame them: this year alone more than 100 million iPhones sold!).

Adding that extra RAM, if the price were an extra $0.25, would cost them $25 million.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
Has nothing to do with the 'slimness' of the phone. 2 GB of RAM would take up just as much space as 1 GB of RAM - except it would cost $0.25 more. And that's something Apple isn't willing to pay (and who could blame them: this year alone more than 100 million iPhones sold!).

Adding that extra RAM, if the price were an extra $0.25, would cost them $25 million.

Actually, it depends on how far along the technology is. I don't know how many Integrated Circuits worth of RAM are used (one 1GB...4 256MB) in the iPhone 5, or how big they are. If they are the smallest and most powerful that technology can provide right now, then it has EVERYTHING to do with the size of the phone; if it won't fit, it won't fit. How do you put 2 liters of water in a cup that will hold no more than exactly 1.2 liters of liquid? You can't. Thus why I said if the slim phone can fit it. So, if you are right, which you very well might be. Reading between the lines of what I said would say, if the best androids are starting to have 2GB of ram, then that is what will be in the next iPhone. If not, Apple will probably save that 25 cents per device that you claim would be the added cost for such an upgrade, which I HIGHLY doubt. I have looked at the prices of RAM, and the price difference of that much more RAM, ESPECIALLY when it is in the same size package, tacks on a MUCH higher price than that.

Please, try to be more open minded before you decide to be negative.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Actually, it depends on how far along the technology is. I don't know how many Integrated Circuits worth of RAM are used (one 1GB...4 256MB) in the iPhone 5, or how big they are. If they are the smallest and most powerful that technology can provide right now, then it has EVERYTHING to do with the size of the phone; if it won't fit, it won't fit. How do you put 2 liters of water in a cup that will hold no more than exactly 1.2 liters of liquid? You can't. Thus why I said if the slim phone can fit it. So, if you are right, which you very well might be. Reading between the lines of what I said would say, if the best androids are starting to have 2GB of ram, then that is what will be in the next iPhone. If not, Apple will probably save that 25 cents per device that you claim would be the added cost for such an upgrade, which I HIGHLY doubt. I have looked at the prices of RAM, and the price difference of that much more RAM, ESPECIALLY when it is in the same size package, tacks on a MUCH higher price than that.

You're probably looking at consumer prices, not the prices that apple pays to manufacture said RAM. And it won't matter one bit what the best smartphones have. Apple has always done it's own thing and generally always has the least amount of RAM of any premium smartphone. Also, size doesn't matter, like thatsmeright said. 1GB RAM will take up the same amount of physical space as 2GB RAM. Try to think of it like an SSD or HDD for that matter. There are many different sizes ranging from 40GB all the way to 1TB and beyond, and in most (I stress most) cases the physical size is no different because they all have to fit into the same standard type of slot.

Last edited:

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
it won't matter one bit what the best smartphones have. Apple has always done it's own thing

What then about the fact that Windows 8 came out with their "Kids Corner" and then, afterward, iOS 6 provided the ability to lock the phone into an app so your kids can play with your phone without messing stuff up. If Apple didn't stay competitive, they wouldn't be the #1 seller of electrical devices. Are you stupid? No you are not. And that is how your average consumer is. Consumers are not as stupid as they are let on to be, consumers are you, your mom, your girlfriend, wife, boyfriend, or husband. They are your kids and friends. They range from mentally challenged to those with an iq of over 200. Steven Hawking needs to be a consumer if he wants to keep his wheel chair running, or if he wants a smart phone, or if he want's to buy food and stay alive. And yet, consumers allow companies like Microsoft, and Google to stay around. Make no mistake, Apple competes, you bet your ass they do.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
People should stop looking at previous patterns. It might give general clues, but it seems now with the iPad Mini and iPad 4th gen, Apple will release a product when they want/have to. Its not based on old cycles anymore. If Apple needs to announce products quicker with a lot better specs, it'll do so.

I think 2013 is the first year, people are really stumped at what Apple will do and that's Apple's goal. Keep things confused, more rumors and media attention, more hype.

iPad still coming in March? iPhone in summer or fall? Will Apple have a developer preview of iOS 7 in spring if iPhone comes in summer? More frequent iPad and iPhone releases with spring and fall? iWatch? iTV?

Apple knows the market is only going to get more competitive. This isn't like 2007-2009 where Apple dominated with the iPhone and 2010-2011 where Apple was hugely dominate in tablets. They are still to some degree, but they won't be releasing products because "its March now, time for iPads", "its fall now, time for iPhone/iPods''.

I think, it'll be quite different from previous years now.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
1GB RAM will take up the same amount of physical space as 2GB RAM. Try to think of it like an SSD or HDD for that matter. There are many different sizes ranging from 40GB all the way to 1TB and beyond, and in most (I stress most) cases the physical size is no different because they all have to fit into the same standard type of slot.

And, as I said, size DOES matter. Notice that the, "If it will fit" is an IF. I am NOT saying that the RAM Apple put in is state of the art, or the most memory in the smallest space. In fact, I doubt that it is. What I am saying is IF it is the most memory that you can fit into such a small space then the size maters. Look here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/168802/worlds_biggest_flash_drive_comes_at_a_price.html

That thing is physically WAY bigger than an SD card, yet it has the largest capacity of any flash drive money can buy; it is the state of the art. NOBODY has yet matched it. If they could have, then they would have. Life is not as simple as we would like to think. When we think that the molecule is the smallest thing we find the atom. When we thing that is the smallest thing, we find the quark (Quark might be spelled wrong, I am not a quantum physicist). So, IF the RAM used the the iPhone 5 is state of the art (In, my opinion, nothing you can buy is actually state of the art. Everything is on hold until someone until it is needed to keep up when another company pulls out a big move) THEN the size of the phone provides a question of if it will fit.

As I said, open your mind before knocking stuff other people say.

There are a lot of details I could have brought out, but I am not writing a text book. This is merely a forum to state your theories of what you think Apple may come out with, and to say what you, personally, would like them to.

So stop trying to shoot holes in my theory, if you have a theory, I would like to hear it. If you have an idea of what you would like from Apple in the next iPhone, I would like to hear it.

It is curiosity that drives me, not bickering. So please don't mistake my defense of my theories when others try to argue as what I wish for this forum.

So, what is the next iPhone going to be like? Theories. Hopes. I would like to here them.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

Again the mobile 1 GB RAM 'chips' are EXACTLY as big as the mobile 2 GB RAM 'chips'. Just like 128 MB, 256 MB and 512 MB take up the same space (when talking about mobile RAM).

I took 25 cents as an example, I don't know the actual price, but Apple gets a decent discount knowing that they order tens of millions of them.

Apple rarely puts in the smallest and most powerful technology. Apple is known for dumping components and using the cheapest ones possible to bring down price. The best example is the first generation iPad: they gave it 256 MB RAM because, as the story goes, the 512 MB one was a dollar or two more expensive - they didn't want to pay that. The amount of RAM is the MOST IMPORTANT factor for how smoothly iOS runs - and they decided to save on that.

You say I'm negative, but I'd say I'm just being realistic here. Apple makes great products, but they are known to use the cheapest - not the best - components. (And hey, it's a commercial company. They are supposed to make as much money as possible.)

Edit: @reaction above. We're talking here about mobile RAM, not Solid State Drives for storage. 2 GB RAM could fit in EXACTLY the same space where the 1 GB RAM is right now. Not a single mm3 more, not a single cubic millimeter less.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
Again the mobile 1 GB RAM 'chips' are EXACTLY as big as the mobile 2 GB RAM 'chips'. Just like 128 MB, 256 MB and 512 MB take up the same space (when talking about mobile RAM).

Edit: @reaction above. We're talking here about mobile RAM, not Solid State Drives for storage. 2 GB RAM could fit in EXACTLY the same space where the 1 GB RAM is right now. Not a single mm3 more, not a single cubic millimeter less.

Okay, you must know then that there are 2GB Mobile RAM chips of the same size that Apple uses. Maybe they are all the same size, I don't know a lot about smart phone components. And I used the flash drive as an example for the fact that technology only goes so far at any given time.

My largest point here isn't what is and isn't available. As I just made clear, I'm not even sure about what is available as far as mobile components go. There could be a 20TB RAM (Exaggeration) chip available that would fit in the iPhone as far as I know.

My major point here is that this thread was not started as a debate thread. Or a thread to use as an excuse to be a muligrub about not getting all the power you want when you hear about the fact that some really powerful processor (Example) has been invented yet no one is using it. And if someone is, that the device that has it is overheating and dying on everyone who owns it. We all know the problems with technology and the greedy companies that are trying to make the larges profit possible while still competing with the rest.

This thread is just for two things:
1) Do you have any theories of what the next iPhone will be...please share.
2) What are you hoping for with the next iPhone...please share.

If you don't have any theories and/or are someone who doesn't like to speculate, and if you are not one to hope and dream, then this thread is not for you. I would like to keep this thread positive. As long as Apple doesn't do something stupid, I am fine with whatever comes later. If I am correct, then cool, I guessed it! If not, then it will get to be surprised, hopefully pleasantly surprised. With Apple, every surprise so far has been a pleasant one for me.

--- edit ---

So, once again.

The new iPhone...will it be called the iPhone 5s?, the iPhone 6?, or something else?
What are your hopes for it? What are your thoughts on it?
What about the idea that apple does a huge move like making all the same colors that are available for the iPod Touch 5 available for the 7th gen iPhone?
Are they going to make a 12inch display phone!!? Would you like a 12inch display phone? ......

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
To clarify that time machine comment to anyone who didn't get it, Interstella5555 called me Marty. Marty was the name of the lead character in Back to the Future, where he traveled into the Future with a DMC Delorean that was turned into a time machine.

^Is this meant to be serious?

The next iPhone will be the 5S. No speculating really necessary.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
So, once again.

The new iPhone...will it be called the iPhone 5s?, the iPhone 6?, or something else?
What are your hopes for it? What are your thoughts on it?
What about the idea that apple does a huge move like making all the same colors that are available for the iPod Touch 5 available for the 7th gen iPhone?
Are they going to make a 12inch display phone!!? Would you like a 12inch display phone? ......

Really? These questions are pretty premature considering we're just in a guessing game until Apple announces it.

Its going to be probably the iPhone 5S with minor spec bumps. Nothing that exciting.

Don't see how colors is a huge deal but I'm sure Apple will market the hell out of it.

Your last 12-inch phone questions does not make any sense.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Join one of the hundreds of other threads already discussing this same topic.

But to ask something from the original post, what pattern do you see the battery life decreasing? They've actually increased battery life in certain uses.

Also, what is this sentence supposed to mean?
and then the iSight is likely to stay the same for the iPhone 6 while the iSight is likely to upgrade on the iPhone 6

I hope you're not a professional analyst.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
Your last 12-inch phone questions does not make any sense.

It was a joke. I know I'm not very good at making them, but I try.

----------

Join one of the hundreds of other threads already discussing this same topic.

But to ask something from the original post, what pattern do you see the battery life decreasing? They've actually increased battery life in certain uses.

Also, what is this sentence supposed to mean?

(and then the iSight is likely to stay the same for the iPhone 6 while the iSight is likely to upgrade on the iPhone 6)

I hope you're not a professional analyst.

I meant front facing camera is likely to get an upgrade on the iPhone 6. All the guesses I am making are just based off of what has happened so far.

About the battery life...the 4s has less than the 4. That is why I speculate that the 5s will be slightly less than the 5.

--- edit ---

All I am doing here, is making guessing on the same subject that others already have, but making a more realistic guess; even using logic to make it the most realistic guess possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.