Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Im talking where it is in the original location? If I delete it from within the iPhoto app?

I want it to but just wondering if it keeps a backup somewhere which I dont want.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
If you delete a photo from within iPhoto and then empty the trash within iPhoto it will be deleted from the iPhoto Library. If the photo exists elsewhere on your hard drive, flash drive, SD card or backup it won't be deleted from those locations by deleting it from within iPhoto. If you have it in locations other than iPhoto and want it deleted from those locations you'll have to find them and delete them separately.

Wakeywarrior

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
If you delete a photo from within iPhoto and then empty the trash within iPhoto it will be deleted from the iPhoto Library. If the photo exists elsewhere on your hard drive, flash drive, SD card or backup it won't be deleted from those locations by deleting it from within iPhoto. If you have it in locations other than iPhoto and want it deleted from those locations you'll have to find them and delete them separately.

I wondered this. So simple answer: if the photo was imported straight into iPhoto- yes; If the photo was copied to your drives first- no.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I wondered this. So simple answer: if the photo was imported straight into iPhoto- yes; If the photo was copied to your drives first- no.

Not exactly, the original photo will still exist in the original location, ie. SD card, etc.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

I loaded photos from my External hard drive and simply drag and dropped to iPhoto. So if I delete it in iPhoto and simply empty my trash its deleted for good? Or is there some empty the trash exclusive to iPhoto if so I never saw it?!

iLikeTheShiny

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Utah
I loaded photos from my External hard drive and simply drag and dropped to iPhoto. So if I delete it in iPhoto and simply empty my trash its deleted for good? Or is there some empty the trash exclusive to iPhoto if so I never saw it?!

That depends on your iPhoto settings. Open iPhoto preferences, then navigate to the "Advanced" tab and see if "Copy items to iPhoto Library" is checked. If it is, deleting in iPhoto will remove the copy that was imported. If not, only the reference to the photo is removed. In either case, if it existed somewhere on your machine before it was imported, it may still exist even after deleting in iPhoto.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
That depends on your iPhoto settings. Open iPhoto preferences, then navigate to the "Advanced" tab and see if "Copy items to iPhoto Library" is checked. If it is, deleting in iPhoto will remove the copy that was imported. If not, only the reference to the photo is removed. In either case, if it existed somewhere on your machine before it was imported, it may still exist even after deleting in iPhoto.

Thanks it is indeed checked and photos were imported from dragging and dropping so they werent on my machine. Its good to know when I delete in iPhoto theyll be deleted completely, at least thats what I understand. I've got tons of photos with bad lighting, duplicate shots etc dont want these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.