Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Keeping the 4th gen as I got a good deal and the size and weight don't bother me in the least. And nor does that bother millions who bought previous large iPads. If it did, well not sure why you kept it!

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I just can't get the concept of carrying around the Mini wherever you go...

going to refill the gas...better take the mini

going to eat...better take the mini

going shopping...better take the mini

going to the doctor...better take the mini

Mini makes a great tablet to use in the house especially cause its so light and the iPhone screen is so small. Maybe for trips (traveling, commuting and stuff)...but taking out the Mini like its a phone its just kinda unnecessary.

Keep in mind you're on an Apple (fanboy) discussion forum. People here truly rationalize owning both an iPad and an iPad mini -- in real life, though, people either invest in one or the other (and in my experience, it's usually the former).

I will never give up my iPad for an iPad mini. I've toyed around with one in the Apple store, and even if it got retina display, I still would prefer a full sized iPad over a mini. Yes, I can web browse and watch movies on it - but I like my screen real estate. I understand that some people have dainty hands and so that extra (pound?) of a difference in weight makes ALLLL the difference. But, for me, a pound is nothing... mini feels too much like an e-reader and after owning an iPad 4, I'd feel like I was downgrading if I reduced all the screen space. I can somewhat understand why people who have never owned an iPad preferring an iPad mini over an iPad, though.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
There are so many combination of tech devices and possible uses that it is hard to generalize about owning both a mini and full sized iPad. I suppose there are folks who could benefit from this arrangement.

I prefer to keep things simple, so I just own a full sized iPad, and it does multiple duty as my quasi Laptop, e-reader, tablet thingy.....I use a desktop for heavy lifting and the iPhone when on-the-go. Nevertheless, the iPad is by far my most frequently used device.

Last edited:

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I agree that it is redundant to keep both. Keep the one you use the most and sell the other.

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Really a matter of whether it would be better to have the few hundred bucks or an extra device you won't use much.

Supacali

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
I have an iPad 3, and I like the 7" tablet size (have a nexus 7). The mini's specs are not up to par with the n7, yet. When the mini with retina and quad core comes out, I'll make a decision and probably get rid of the other two, just too redundant.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I'm still holding strong with my recommendation for keeping both. A girl has to keep the Mini for her purse and the full size for lounging on the couch. This will be my set up once I get my Mini. Plus if one of the devices should take a fall and break or get misplaced, I'll still have the other one to fall back on. My laptop is too large and bulky to toss in my purse.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Since I got my mini for Christmas ... I haven't touched my full size iPad 3. The same with my son and his iPad 2 and his mini. I wonder how long before the honeymoon phase is over? Should I just sell the iPad 3? I was only going to use the mini when I'm on the go but find myself using it at home too. The size is just so perfect! Maybe I should just relegate the mini to my purse and keep it there so then I'll use the 3 at home.

Sell ipad 3 and get an iphone

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
My laptop is too large and bulky to toss in my purse.

that's what the MBA 11" is for :)

Seriously though, I kept my iPad 3 for a couple of weeks after I bought a Mini but found I didn't use it. Passed it on to my brother, my little niece loves it. I still see it and even then I don't get retina withdrawal symptoms.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
that's what the MBA 11" is for :)

Seriously though, I kept my iPad 3 for a couple of weeks after I bought a Mini but found I didn't use it. Passed it on to my brother, my little niece loves it. I still see it and even then I don't get retina withdrawal symptoms.

I was going to say hang on to it for a few weeks to see if you are still using the mini all the time. If so, you could make a friend or a family member very happy by passing it on to them or selling it to them dirt cheap.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
i take my full size iPad everywhere,been doing it since first gen. compared to a laptop or even notebook it's so light and portable. and it fits right in my backpack or portfolio or even in between documents for work.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
My rationale is different on this one. I have an iPhone 5 and didn't own a tablet. I was in the market for an iPad and considered the mini vs iP4.

For me the iP4 with Retina was the best investment long term but then again, I am treating this iPad purchase like I would a laptop. Buy one and keep it a while.

If I already had an iPhone 5 for out and about, why not get the biggest and best tablet screen for at home and "on table our couch" use.

Just my logic from someone who doesn't/can't buy everything Apple sells.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
If you don't keep both then keep the Mini.

Typing is so much easier, this way your plan for galactic domination is much easier to hash out on a Mini.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
If you don't keep both then keep the Mini.

Typing is so much easier, this way your plan for galactic domination is much easier to hash out on a Mini.

Galactic domination! Sounds so much more exciting than what I usually type on my iPad.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
[...] and after owning an iPad 4, I'd feel like I was downgrading if I reduced all the screen space. I can somewhat understand why people who have never owned an iPad preferring an iPad mini over an iPad, though.

You would be downgrading. I don't believe Apple intends on the iPad mini to ever be better than the iPad 9.7 overall. Sure, people may think it is, but I don't feel Apple will ever market it as such or intend it to be internally (as in at the Apple HQ).

----------

An iPad, iPad mini, and iPhone 5? Seems like lots of redundancy. Personally, I'd keep the mini; ditch the full sized iPad.

Exactly what I've done. I have the 5 and ditched my iPad 2 for a mini. I personally like the portability, thinness, and light weight of it while still being able to run the same iPad apps as I did before. Of course I'd like Retina better if it came out, but I don't mind the display in it's current form because I'm used to the display of the iPad 2 (and iPod touch 2G from awhile back) despite having owned an iPhone 5 and 4S.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I think a full size ipad 5 with reduced weight--just under a pound--and slimmed side bezels will recapture some of the excitement. The reduced weight of the mini makes it feel "magical".

hoogen

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I got a free ipad mini at my office christmas party. I already have an ipad 3 (got it on release day). I like the ipad mini for playing games and bringing with me when i travel or just going out. I use my ipad 3 as my main computer at home and i dont take it out of the house often. Im planning on keeping both since i got the ipad mini for free and it doesnt seem worth the hassle or time to sell the ipad mini or the ipad 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.