Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Glad they might not be purchasing Waze. I actively moderate my area and I could easily argue that the OKC, Yukon, and Edmond area are more current than google because I travel these roads daily. If an issue is brought up I will usually deviate from my regular route to see what the issue is and go online and fix it if needed. When it goes to google or apple I am sure the anyone can edit the map policy will be ending quickly. I figure its a matter of time till someone buys Waze but I would still prefer its not apple.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
They could pay $750 million and buy Waze

...OR BUY GOOGLE and use their Maps?!

Unless you were being sarcastic, it's not that simple. You can't just "buy" a company. Either the company has to be up for sale or said buyer has to do a hostile takeover which isn't easy if you don't have enough stock buying power. :p

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Stupid name (and logo), stupid app, stupid company. I had never even heard of them until this post. There are so many other options for this completely unoriginal app, business.

Even $400 mil. is too much. Apple better not pull a Facebook like Instagram purchase. Apple should completely abandon the idea and then Waze will eventually fade away into nothing and be forgotten when they go out of business. $750 mil.!?! Idiots...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Stupid name (and logo), stupid app, stupid company. I had never even heard of them until this post. There are so many other options for this completely unoriginal app, business.

Even $400 mil. is too much. Apple better not pull a Facebook like Instagram purchase. Apple should completely abandon the idea and then Waze will eventually fade away into nothing and be forgotten when they go out of business. $750 mil.!?! Idiots...

LOL really? You deem them stupid because you don't know about them?

I do question how they're worth even $400mil.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
apple needs them, they have lots of data and good technology. they can always go to google, tomtom, nokia, microsoft just to spite apple

Seems like every time there's a news article "Pro Apple" the hating crowd craps down on Apple. On the other hand, when it's an article talking about a company "WAZE" for example, standing up and not giving in to Apple's offer the hating crowd STILL craps down on Apple and cheers for the opposition....and this forum is suppose to be for Apple enthusiasts. :rolleyes:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
They could pay $750 million and buy Waze

...OR BUY GOOGLE and use their Maps?!

your joking right???

edit: i see you answered that one..

----------

I dont know about them either, so i cant tell if 400mil is too much or cheap. How do you know? i think your post was more stupid than their logo.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I doubt Apple will support Maps any longer than 5 years if that. We'll see a few updates along with iOS updated and then it will slowly wither away and be forgotten. That's what Apple does with services. They simply let them die. They don't "get" services. They never have.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
"British Parlance" ???

I think you will find the language is called "English" Which means the misspelt version is American.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I wonder how long its going to take Apple to get their maps on par. I guess we'll see "Maps 2" during the iOS 7 preview, with new features.

Apple, like Google, is constantly updating their maps. I'm sure you couldn't possibly think that all those maps are stored on your 16M iPhone. They're downloaded from the cloud as needed. You shouldn't need to update your iPhone software when the maps stored on the cloud are the problem.

----------

Like Groupon, I don't believe their business model includes a way of turning a real profit.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
You need to look for a new broker... Google is up for sale, it's for sale every day (NASDAQ: GOOG)
I bet over 50% of shares are still owned by the founders and are not for sale. But I might be wrong.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I doubt Apple will support Maps any longer than 5 years if that. We'll see a few updates along with iOS updated and then it will slowly wither away and be forgotten. That's what Apple does with services. They simply let them die. They don't "get" services. They never have.

I think this is different. Apple HAS to "get" services now because that's how they're going to continue building the whole ecosystem. It's not enough making a device anymore, you have to make it talk to every aspect of life now and in order to be able to do that fully, you need to create partnerships with other companies OR make your own services.

Apple's partnership with Google is clearly over so they have to excel at services or else they'll lag behind.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Apple I feel is held to a higher standard than Google. Google does Gmail, searches, and maps really well. I can't think of another service they seriously excel at. I am on Android and I don't even use Google maps since there are better options (unless you need street view). If apple keeps up the quality of the apps available on their store then I think it would go much further than apple trying to be a jack of all trades but master of none. Even their Android Os is changed by phone manufacturers with features added or taken away...

I almost bought an iphone 5 due to the quality of apps available. Android might have the same apps available but many just don't look as well put together as their iphone version.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Why do people find Waze stupid? Besides the fact that its insanely popular, I've never gotten wrong directions with it and it helps me route away from traffic, cops, construction, etc.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Might depend on the area they are in.... Some areas that are not well maintained are freaking awful.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Notice I said maps reputation not just maps. For 90% of us it works just fine. Apple may fix a hundred data points a day, but most will go un-noticed by the vast majority of us simply because we don't live in that area. Making big acquisitions makes a big public statement.

There are at least a million errors in London alone.

Fixing a hundred a day means they'll have to spend three years just on one city alone. The numbers of fixes worldwide likely number in the billions.

scy

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
California

Hey, just because YOU have never heard of them is more an indicator that you just don't know what's out there... here in So Cal WAZE is the only app that consistently gets it right.. you want a quick way to get from city to city, avoid the 5 and take a toll road, WAZE gives that option.. / it's consistent, reliable.. and pretty amazing... saved me lots of speeding tickets too.. go out of business? fade away? before you criticize why don't you check your facts, compare all the options, and you'll see how WAZE stands out.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Apple, like Google, is constantly updating their maps. I'm sure you couldn't possibly think that all those maps are stored on your 16M iPhone. They're downloaded from the cloud as needed. You shouldn't need to update your iPhone software when the maps stored on the cloud are the problem.

----------

Like Groupon, I don't believe their business model includes a way of turning a real profit.

Trust me i've used groupon with my business, those pricks take a big cut.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Waze is not very useful outside the US.

----------

I wonder how long its going to take Apple to get their maps on par. I guess we'll see "Maps 2" during the iOS 7 preview, with new features.

There may be more fancy features like 3D flyover. But the underlying map data? It's not gonna improve much. The very wrong POI that I reported for numerous time over the past 4 months is still there.

----------

The exception is iCloud syncing. It's been working well for me since iOS 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.