Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakg6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Hi,

My Macbook with my music library is connected to the internet via wireless, while my xbox is connected to the internet via ethernet from an airport express.

I want to stream music from my mac to the xbox, however since the xbox is using a wired connection, none of the usual apps that stream over your home connection (rivet, playback, connect360...) seem to work.

The airport express is extending my wireless network and I think my mac is connected to the express rather than the original modem.

I would use a USB key or something and just play music on the xbox from there but the xbox is really crap at that, it takes agesss to load the actual music even in a FAT32 formatted usb, plus it doesn't work with AAC files even though I have the xbox media update that supposedly fixes that.

Any ideas on how I can get around this?

Thanks, Zak.

DestroVega

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
CT
Hi,

My Macbook with my music library is connected to the internet via wireless, while my xbox is connected to the internet via ethernet from an airport express.

I want to stream music from my mac to the xbox, however since the xbox is using a wired connection, none of the usual apps that stream over your home connection (rivet, playback, connect360...) seem to work.

The airport express is extending my wireless network and I think my mac is connected to the express rather than the original modem.

I would use a USB key or something and just play music on the xbox from there but the xbox is really crap at that, it takes agesss to load the actual music even in a FAT32 formatted usb, plus it doesn't work with AAC files even though I have the xbox media update that supposedly fixes that.

Any ideas on how I can get around this?

Thanks, Zak.

I'm basically in the same boat although I have no app. Just trying to get the media from my Mac connected wirelessly via Time Capsule to my Xbox 360 hard wired connected into my Time Capsule.. I don't understand why it doesn't just see the computer and work easily.

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
It doesn't work because the two are not compatible. One is Microsoft and the other is Apple. Apple has never, as far as I can recall, made their media accessible by third party products or software. They are a closed ecosystem and want you to buy an Apple TV for this purpose. The network configuration of the OP has nothing to do with it. Xbox cannot read iTunes and iTunes doesn't support Xbox.

Having said that, there are many third party products that will do what you want. Connect360 is one that comes to mind but I've never used it. Google is your friend as this problem has been solved many times before.

Redwyvern

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Yonkers, NY
Playback works

I use Playback and I stream my whole iTunes library, plus my movie collection from my mac mini. The setup was easy, and it works every time. No need for anything else. My xbox 360 is wired, and so is my mac mini. I have also tried it with my macbook pro wireless and it also works. It's all the same network, so it should work on your setup as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.