Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jfoltz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
So I received my iPhone last Monday the 24 and out of the box it had a dent in the back panel and scuffs. I made a appointment to the Genius Bar tomorrow and hope for a replacement. I was wondering if the I could get a retail phone and if the replacement phones are refurbs? Any help is appreciated

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

If you bought it from an Apple store and have a receipt, you can get a retail replacement. Otherwise you're getting a refurb (there's no way for them to give you a boxed one on the spot without an Apple store (not online) receipt).

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
its your loss people like you are the reason this company is failing and the stock went down, i really hope you feel guilty about what you did

Neokiller309

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
its your loss people like you are the reason this company is failing and the stock went down, i really hope you feel guilty about what you did

Really? He had a dent out of the box and it's "His loss"? And people like HIM are pulling apple down?

He, Who had a legitimate problem with a cosmetically flawed device OUT OF THE BOX, Is the problem?

Lets refer to another one of YOUR posts: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1519208/#7

You, Who ended up scratching your own phone because you couldn't be careful until your case arrived, versus the OP, Who got a flawed product?

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Really? He had a dent out of the box and it's "His loss"? And people like HIM are pulling apple down?

He, Who had a legitimate problem with a cosmetically flawed device OUT OF THE BOX, Is the problem?

Lets refer to another one of YOUR posts: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1519208/#7

You, Who ended up scratching your own phone because you couldn't be careful until your case arrived, versus the OP, Who got a flawed product?

A bit stalkerish... but the guy just got PWN3D! :p

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Don't feed him ;)

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

What? He said it broke out of the box? And who told you Apple is failing? Your comments makes no sense at all.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm doubting that any white box replacement iPhone 5's are refurbs at this point. Keep in mind that Apple was having trouble keeping up with demand until only recently.

I received a replacement iPhone 5 from an Apple Retail Store yesterday after my original iPhone 5, which was ordered online, was destroyed. I checked the serial number on both phones to find out when they were assembled and my original iPhone was assembled in week 43 and the replacement was assembled in week 50. The replacement appeared to be in new condition and didn't seem like it was used before.

If the Genius Bar doesn't fulfill your request by giving you a replacement from a retail box, which is highly likely, you could always just return your current phone and say you simply weren't happy with it and buy a new one a week later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.