Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I've been around longer than you then. Because I remember the world before the iPhone and before Apple made Apps "popular"

Not to mention - since this thread is about the App Store (not apps) I still say the popularity for virtual stores as far as Apple is concerned is the name iTunes.

Ask most people where they get their apps - they say I downloaded it off iTunes. How many people do you really know say I got it on the app store? Or Apple's appstore. Be honest. I'm not trying to antagonize - sincerely.

Almost everyone I know says they download things off iTunes. I bought it on iTunes. Check this app out on iTunes. Is that on iTunes? Very rarely do I (personally) ever hear anyone refer it to an app store

I certainly have to be replying to it and all I see are a lot of nonsense about abreviations on old PDAs or people refering to obscure folders in the file system of non Apple OSs.

The issue is that Apple have a LONG history of running APPlications on their platforms and they created the APP Store based on that familiarity. The early iPhone ran the equivalent of Mac OS X widgets, not even full blown software but they were still refered to as APPs and as iOS evolved, APPs became full blown software.

It's no coincidence that Windows 8 has APPs not PROGrams like ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS and other mobile platforms evolved to also run APPs, following Apple's lead, not innovating and coming up with their own term because it's so connected with the industry, it keeps features consistently named across platforms but they can't say they're not immitating Apple and neither can any other rational person with the facts easily available on a search engine.

Observance on my part, arrogance on yours for claiming that!

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
So, you don't have anything to back your claim.

Windows XP came before or after the iPhone?

History that's easy to remember or search for if you don't is all I need to back up not a claim but a fact.

Windows XP ran PROGrams from a PROGrams menu shortcut in the START menu while the Mac ran APPlications launched from the APPlications folder they reside in.

----------

I've been around longer than you then. Because I remember the world before the iPhone and before Apple made Apps "popular"

Not to mention - since this thread is about the App Store (not apps) I still say the popularity for virtual stores as far as Apple is concerned is the name iTunes.

Ask most people where they get their apps - they say I downloaded it off iTunes. How many people do you really know say I got it on the app store? Or Apple's appstore. Be honest. I'm not trying to antagonize - sincerely.

Almost everyone I know says they download things off iTunes. I bought it on iTunes. Check this app out on iTunes. Is that on iTunes? Very rarely do I (personally) ever hear anyone refer it to an app store

I registered here a full 8 years before you, I've being using Macs since 1993 and at every turn I see Apple taking the lead with interface ideas and interface consistency while Microsoft/Whoever simply follow their lead within the confines of what they can't be sued for (or can).

The fact remains, Mac users for nearly 3 decades now have being using their APPlications that reside in their APPlications folder and that consistency followed with the release of the iPhone.

I agree about people just refering to it as iTunes Store but Apple still have every right to the term "App Store" and it originating as the name of a store for buying iPhone Apps makes it obvious that Apple have the prior use of the term as it related to distributing mobile software.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_program

Terminology

In information technology, an application is a computer program designed to help people perform an activity. An application thus differs from an operating system (which runs a computer), a utility (which performs maintenance or general-purpose chores), and a programming tools (with which computer programs are created). Depending on the activity for which it was designed, an application can manipulate text, numbers, graphics, or a combination of these elements.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What does registration date here have to do with it? I could be 30, 40 ,50, 60, 70 years old. I could have registered yesterday. That doesn't equate to industry knowledge :rolleyes:

The fact remains - the issue is about a trademark claim on app store. Not apps.

The courts disagree with you in some respects.

We can go around in circles all day. But I think I, personally, will stop here. Because it's futile.

I registered here a full 8 years before you, I've being using Macs since 1993 and at every turn I see Apple taking the lead with interface ideas and interface consistency while Microsoft/Whoever simply follow their lead within the confines of what they can't be sued for (or can).

The fact remains, Mac users for over 2 decades now have being using their APPlications that reside in their APPlications folder and that consistency followed with the release of the iPhone.

I agree about people just refering to it as iTunes Store but Apple still have every right to the term "App Store" and it originating as the name of a store for buying iPhone Apps makes it obvious that Apple have the prior use of the term as it related to distributing mobile software.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
But I also don't blame Apple for trying to get / enforce the trademark.

I don't blame them for trying. I just never thought they had a chance or that it should get the trademark.

I agree with the decision, but the reason I don't blame Apple is because Amazon managed to get a patent on one-click ordering, which they never should have received considering that it's an obvious business process and which Apple had to license from them.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Application programming interface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

Application programming interface
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
"API" redirects here. For other uses, see API (disambiguation).

An application programming interface (API) is a protocol intended to be used as an interface by software components to communicate with each other. An API may include specifications for routines, data structures, object classes, and variables. An API specification can take many forms, including an International Standard such as POSIX, vendor documentation such as the Microsoft Windows API ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_api

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I agree with the decision, but the reason I don't blame Apple is because Amazon managed to get a patent on one-click ordering, which they never should have received considering that it's an obvious business process and which Apple had to license from them.

While I kind of agree with you, the discussion around Amazon's PATENT has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's TRADEMARK and I don't understand why people keep bringing it and "Windows" into this conversation as they are irrelevant.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Program, application it's all a bit generic to be able to claim it as your own. Apple always names things very simply but Amazon could have named it loads of other things but they chose to make users feel as if they were getting the same experience or quality as apple gives.

I find Amazon underhanded in their approach to copying all aspects of apples successful content distribution model having been a digital seller for many years and not giving a nice shopping experience before apple came along and shook things up.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing but amazon were in the market for a long time with a pretty crap store that was only successful because of prices that were probably set illegally anyway.

It all comes down to quality(usability) or price for a consumer. I prefer paying extra for quality and a brand, amazon is not a brand i really trust for quality but you can get generic products cheap.

I kinda think the court should have ruled that amazon should have changed the name to avoid confusion, app shop or anything else would have been fine.

Renzatic

Suspended
I find Amazon underhanded in their approach to copying all aspects of apples successful content distribution model having been a digital seller for many years and not giving a nice shopping experience before apple came along and shook things up.

Yeah, people! Apple invented nice!

Hell, they barely "copied" Apple at all. Like a online storefront is such a novel concept. Like Steam hasn't been distributing software over the internet since 2004.

The only thing Apple did was tie the storefront directly to their hardware. It was a successful move, sure. But ultimately only a slight tweak to an already existing idea.

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
And this has absolutely nothing to do with the App Store trademark. App Store is descriptive, not merely a generic word like Windows, unless you're implying Microsoft sells panes of glass.

----------

You mean the guys that came so close to winning in court that Microsoft paid them to change the name of the product ? I don't think that case actually supports your point. You should read how it concluded ...

And you should probably read my point instead of trying to argue someone else's and jumping into the middle of a conversation:

Microsoft owns a trade mark on the word "Windows."

----------

Microsoft has a trademark on the words Microsoft Windows

Sorry but you're wrong, again. Microsoft owns a trademark on the word "Windows" itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Trademarks/EN-US.aspx

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
How is that even relevant to this conversation? Unless I missed something and there is a pane of glass in your monitor, it's completely unrelated and pointless.

That's the problem with jumping in on someone else's conversation. It's not my job to fill you in on what we've already said, it's your job to go back and read it.

Ironically your own post is completely unrelated and pointless.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's the problem with jumping in on someone else's conversation. It's not my job to fill you in on what we've already said, it's your job to go back and read it.

I went back through and read your previous posts. All you do is keep saying "Microsoft has a trademark for the word "Windows'.

Then someone comes in and says, "What's your point? Unless MS actually sells Windows, and has a trademark in the window selling business that keeps other companies from advertising their windows as "windows", then it's a moot point. It's a nondescriptive brand name for an operating system that has nothing to do with physical windows.

Then you turn around and say "You just don't get it, and you haven't answered my question. Microsoft has a trademark for the word "Windows".

And I'll tell you right now, it doesn't matter how generic it is so long as it's applied to computers and operating systems. Now if MS came out and released Microsoft Operating System, then turned around and sued tons of other companies for referencing their trademark with their operating systems, you'd have a point. Right now, you don't.

Windows is an operating system that uses Windows. They don't have a right to the word "windows". Any software company can reference actual GUI windows all they want. But they can't make an operating system called like, say, Apple Windows because MS has that trademarked. It's nonspecific enough they can get away with it.

Apple on the other hand has a store that sells apps they call App Store...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Exactly, the whole of the "but Microsoft has a trademark on Windows" conversation is a complete red herring. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand. Anyo e trying to use it was off-topic and just showed gross misunderstanding of the actual issues being raised in Apple's attempts to trademark and defend App Store.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Sorry but you're wrong, again. Microsoft owns a trademark on the word "Windows" itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Trademarks/EN-US.aspx

A more interesting example on that list (which someone brought up here before) is SQL Server imo, especially given Microsofts claim:

Microsoft also fought against Apple, arguing that 'app store' is a compound noun that is a generic characterization of the store itself -- a store for apps.

An interesting thought is why these companies are so keen on using the same name, trade mark or not.

Foxykhat

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
I'm puzzled with the Apple should not have been allowed to trademark the work "APP STORE"

If there a specific thing/store that's created to sell "APPS" and you call it "APP STORE" shouldn't you be allowed to at least protect that, whether words are generic or not?!!!

The issue IMHO is not so much about the words but about the "product" for lack of a better word.

I see nothing wrong with them trademarking the word. With someone who deals with IP related matters daily I've seen a heap of generic words trademarked.

Take for example "CABLE & WIRELESS" a telephone company. Should they not be allowed to trademark the words "Cable" and or "Wireless"?!

----------

[/COLOR]
It's a Trademark claim

Trademark falls under "IP" Intellectual Property", not Internet Protocol"

Foxy

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm puzzled with the Apple should not have been allowed to trademark the work "APP STORE"

If there a specific thing/store that's created to sell "APPS" and you call it "APP STORE" shouldn't you be allowed to at least protect that, whether words are generic or not?!!!

The issue IMHO is not so much about the words but about the "product" for lack of a better word.

I see nothing wrong with them trademarking the word. With someone who deals with IP related matters daily I've seen a heap of generic words trademarked.

Take for example "CABLE & WIRELESS" a telephone company. Should they not be allowed to trademark the words "Cable" and or "Wireless"?!

I kinda went over this a few pages back, but to give you the simple, digest version, it's like this...

Someone trademarks the name "Grocery Store" for their grocery store. Admittedly, it's descriptive. You know exactly what "Grocery Store" sells. It's a grocery store that sells groceries.

Then one day, Bill decides to open up Bill's Grocery Store. He ends up getting sued for trademark violation, because Grocery Store already has a trademark for theri "Grocery Store".

So what else is he supposed to call it? Bill's Food Depot? That's nice and all, but what happens to the next person in line to open a grocery store? Bill's probably gonna trademark Food Depot, so this guy has to think of something else. Probably Mike's Food Emporium...which he then trademarks.

If it goes on and on, eventually people are going to run out of ways to describe their grocery stores. To avoid that, it's better to not let people trademark generic names that describe exactly what their store is. Not specifically. Grocery Store can't own the rights to the name "Grocery Store", but they can "Sally's Grocery Store", and Bill gets to use Bill's Grocery Store.

Apple wants the trademark to a store that sells apps called "App Store"...

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I went back through and read your previous posts. All you do is keep saying "Microsoft has a trademark for the word "Windows'.

You didn't go back far enough or you didn't read it without assuming you know what we're talking about to start with. Here's a paraphrase:

MacRumors: "Microsoft also fought against Apple, arguing that 'app store' is a compound noun that is a generic characterization of the store itself -- a store for apps."

Me: "This is the same Microsoft that has a trademark on the word Windows?"

Other Dude: "Microsoft doesn't have a trademark on Windows. Also there is no cheese on the moon."

Me: "Yes, they do. Here's proof. Also I said nothing about cheese."

You: "Well clearly cheese exists so your statement makes no sense and has nothing to do with the tread."

Me: "Go back and re-read."

You: "All I see is you hating on cheese."

Me: "Le sigh..."

The End

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Nope, I need no filling in, I've been in the entire thread. Your post is unrelated and pointless.

You didn't go back far enough or you didn't read it without assuming you know what we're talking about to start with. Here's a paraphrase:

MacRumors: "Microsoft also fought against Apple, arguing that 'app store' is a compound noun that is a generic characterization of the store itself -- a store for apps."

Me: "This is the same Microsoft that has a trademark on the word Windows?"

Other Dude: "Microsoft doesn't have a trademark on Windows. Also there is no cheese on the moon."

Me: "Yes, they do. Here's proof. Also I said nothing about cheese."

You: "Well clearly cheese exists so your statement makes no sense and has nothing to do with the tread."

Me: "Go back and re-read."

You: "All I see is you hating on cheese."

Me: "Le sigh..."

The End

Nope, I was here for that as well and the point still stands....it's a red herring. You're using an unrelated issue to distract from the real issue that Apple trademarked a term that is generically descriptive of their product. "Windows" is not generically descriptive. Get it through your le skull.

Last edited:

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Nope, I need no filling in, I've been in the entire thread. Your post is unrelated and pointless.

Please read the above post. I'll be expecting your apology shortly.

-- edit --

Just because you disagree does not make the point invalid and just because I disagree with you does not mean I don't understand you.

Your point: "Microsoft's trademarking of Windows is not descriptive of their product, i.e. they aren't selling actual windows."

My point: "Microsoft, who owns a generic trademark, is complaining about another generic trademark."

You could argue that I'm wrong but you can't argue that I'm irrelevant for the very reason that I'm making it relevant by implying, "Aren't these two similar?"

Last edited:

Foxykhat

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
I kinda went over this a few pages back, but to give you the simple, digest version, it's like this...

Someone trademarks the name "Grocery Store" for their grocery store. Admittedly, it's descriptive. You know exactly what "Grocery Store" sells. It's a grocery store that sells groceries.

Then one day, Bill decides to open up Bill's Grocery Store. He ends up getting sued for trademark violation, because Grocery Store already has a trademark for theri "Grocery Store".

So what else is he supposed to call it? Bill's Food Depot? That's nice and all, but what happens to the next person in line to open a grocery store? Bill's probably gonna trademark Food Depot, so this guy has to think of something else. Probably Mike's Food Emporium...which he then trademarks.

If it goes on and on, eventually people are going to run out of ways to describe their grocery stores. To avoid that, it's better to not let people trademark generic names that describe exactly what their store is. Not specifically. Grocery Store can't own the rights to the name "Grocery Store", but they can "Sally's Grocery Store", and Bill gets to use Bill's Grocery Store.

Apple wants the trademark to a store that sells apps called "App Store"...

What you posted is a whole different kettle of fish. Now if Apple tried to patent the word "application" I could see your points. However, what we are looking at are the words "APP STORE" are in relation to the selling of "APPLICATIONS" in an online store". A shorten/variation of the word "Application", to give their product's name specific ring.

Had apple tried to stop the use of application" I could see your point. What they are doing is trying to protect the popularizing of the term they created that is "app store" Whether the two words are generic is beyond the point. The fact is put together they became something that was first heard of by this particular company.

If Apple's claim to the word "App Store" should not be allowed on your premise then Coca-Cola and such companies for trademarking terms like "GOOD TIL THE LAST DROP" or "IT ONLY GETS BETTER", because I can make a nice pot of soup for sale and state it's GOOD TIL THE LAST DROP. etc

Foxy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.