Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 19, 2010
Try holding a galaxy s3, now thats horrible to hold! I cant wait to switch back to the iphone on friday

Last edited:

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Yeah, the 4/4S/5 are not really that ergonomic. Beautiful, pretty etc, but not ergonomic. Apple has gone the pretty design look for these models. Now if they could combine ergonomic and pretty together, they'll be golden.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't find it uncomfortable to hold. I do, however, find it to be more "slippery" than the 4/4S. I know that sounds strange but I have nearly dropped the naked 5 more times than the 4/4S.

abhinav7333

macrumors member
May 5, 2012
What do you guys think of the design of the last couple of iPhones? They are hard to hold, uncomfortable in the hand. The iPhone 3GS with its curved back was nice to hold. I dont get why Apple has stuck with the iPhone 4 design. I want an iPhone with the iPod touch design. Some part could be plastic so it doesnt cover necessary 3G and GPS signals. One example is the HTC Legend. Should Apple redesign the iPhone?

I agree. The curved design was more comfortable.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I also agree the 3G/s felt much more comfortable in my hand than the 4 or 5. Looking back at it with the black back and silver rim it also looked higher end. However I can't complain about the weight of the 5.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
What do you guys think of the design of the last couple of iPhones? They are hard to hold, uncomfortable in the hand. The iPhone 3GS with its curved back was nice to hold. I dont get why Apple has stuck with the iPhone 4 design. I want an iPhone with the iPod touch design. Some part could be plastic so it doesnt cover necessary 3G and GPS signals. One example is the HTC Legend. Should Apple redesign the iPhone?
These debates are silly. Apple is going to do what Apple wants to do. Like Steve said, vote with your dollar.

So I'll make this simple, if it is uncomfortable that you don't like it, don't buy it. Tell Apple by not giving them your hard earned cash, that's the best way to be heard.

So the best way to stay comfortable now is don't hold it.

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
The reason why I got an iPhone 5 was because it IS comfortable to hold! Trust me, coming from a HTC One X, there is a world of difference in how easy this thing is to use one handed.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
OP i think you crazzzzzy hahaha. The iPhone 5 is a engineering feat and a work of art which feels great in the hand! I remember thinking it felt TOO light but now after holding this and a iphone 4S, the iphone 5 feels so right

An engineering feet... yeah right it's only a machined bit of metal.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
I think putting a curve on the iPhone 5 will deform its looks. What do you say?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
The 5 and 4 lines of iPhones don't rock on a table when using them.

Plus cases fit better, if you use them.

But I liked the 3 lines of phones too. It's just different.

sunday trucker

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
When The iPhone 4 was released I thought it looked uncomfortable to hold due the the flat back and straight edges, even put off upgrading from my beloved 3GS. However when the 3GS died it was replaced with a 4S and I loved that phone.

No I have an iPhone five and think it is great although I still prefer the smaller screen on the 4S. A near perfect iPhone for me would be the 4S retina display with the slim, lightweight feel of the Five. That would be a killer form factor and super comfortable.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What do you guys think of the design of the last couple of iPhones? They are hard to hold, uncomfortable in the hand.
I have no such problems but that doesn't mean anything if it's uncomfortable for you.

I dont get why Apple has stuck with the iPhone 4 design. I want an iPhone with the iPod touch design. Some part could be plastic so it doesnt cover necessary 3G and GPS signals. One example is the HTC Legend. Should Apple redesign the iPhone?
For your particular preferences? No. No massed produced product is going to kowtow to an individual or a minority of their consumer base. If it's uncomfortable for you to hold and that's a dealbreaker then find a device that is comfortable to hold for you. No device is one-size-fits-all (literally in this case). Use what works for you.

Or try a case and see if that improves comfort for you.

Neither the 4, 4s or the 5 are blocking 3G or GPS signals either.

I bought a car. I like it except for the spare tire access. Do I return it?
If it's a dealbreaker, yes. If not, you deal with it or find a workaround. Your call.

Last edited:

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
The only discomfort I get in holding my iPhone is the mental discomfort in knowing I'm finger printing/smudging/greasing up such a beautiful device. :)

But for real though, it feels great to me. I especially like the feel of the "slate" backing on the 5 as opposed to the glass backing on the 4. I feel like the slate offers a little more grip. Also, with the 4 I felt like I was constantly smudging and greasing up the back, making for a sort of dirty/greasey/uncomfortable feel. That's really nit picking though.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I learned somwthing in this thread. Discussing the ergonomics of a hand held device in the proper area of a discussion forum is bad.

I think people discussing these things does not equal hate, no reason to take it personal.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I have to agree with the OP. The iPhone 5 (along with with the 4 and 4S) is not comfortable to hold, as compared to a curved back phone. I have been trying to find an ultra slim case that will emulate the old design of the 3GS, but have not come across any.

Buy Lab C 105 case. I have one and its great. It has a curved back and comes with a usb stick that you never will use. It feels great in the hand and fits the phone perfectly. http://www.lab-c.co.kr/product/product_c100.html?pid=c105&kind=3

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I use my 4S without a case and I don't have any complaints on how it feels to hold it.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
...or a Galaxy Note 2. Unless you have abnormally large hands, of course. :D

I have tried to hold the Galaxy Note 2 and I had a problem holding it. What were they thinking!? ;)

----------

I use my 4S without a case and I don't have any complaints on how it feels to hold it.[/QUOTE

Did you have one of the older iPhones? A curved back or at least rounded edges make a object feel better. Look at the iPad, iPod Touch or any other device from another manufactorer.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have tried to hold the Galaxy Note 2 and I had a problem holding it. What were they thinking!? ;)

----------

I use my 4S without a case and I don't have any complaints on how it feels to hold it.[/QUOTE

Did you have one of the older iPhones? A curved back or at least rounded edges make a object feel better. Look at the iPad, iPod Touch or any other device from another manufactorer.

Yes, I had the original iPhone, a 3GS and an iPad 3. I still have no complaints.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I have no such problems but that doesn't mean anything if it's uncomfortable for you.
If it's a dealbreaker, yes. If not, you deal with it or find a workaround. Your call.

This was taken out of context. The "do I return a new car if the spare tire is hard to access" was my attempt to point out how absurd the argument "if you don't like it, return it" was.

If I just quote you saying "you deal with it or find a workaround," then it sounds like you were saying "Don't ever complain here." I don't think you meant that. Did you?

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I've been saying it for years. I 3G/3GS had the best body hands down. Perfect shaped for holding. VERY sturdy construction. no need for a case.

I wish they would have kept that design, slimmed it just a touch (not that its too fat), cram it with the latest hardware and a retina screen.....BOOM prints money!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.