Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C5-9

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Local address 192.168.0.1
Looking forward to this!

Alot of people out there complain about Slingbox, but the fact is, they are the best in the market hands down. I've been using my Pro-HD for 2 years to watch HD quality Japanese TV here in America on a daily basis. I've only had to reboot the box 2 or 3 times in all that time. Sometimes the network lags but I can't hold that against slingbox...the pipe is what it is. So I've been very pleased with it. Yes, support and communication stinks and they will try to charge you, but did you know there is FREE chat support?

The app is now $15, albeit still too much, but very tempting considering what it does. There are currently some issues with it, so they will be releasing a new version soon (I know some people beta testing it.)

My only concern with this new box is the effective utility of the HDMI input. My understanding is that with HDCP, not much of the content is viewable, but that will remain to be seen. There is also a built-in IR blaster in the new model so theres no need for the funky cables (although they are still included in the accessories).

What would be awesome is if slingmedia worked with apple to get a client on the appletv. That would absolutely rock and make these things fly off shelves.

----------

But now that I can watch Japanese television programming from several thousand miles away, I'm not overly fussed about the update, especially if they've taken away the tuner.

I also sling from japan with a pro-hd. Whats you're setup there?
I use a toshiba d-tr1 digital tuner with NTT fiber. Depending on the time of day I get download speeds from 600K to 2500K here in the states to my web slingplayer or slingcatcher.

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
$30 is a steep price to pay, but if you use it regularly, it's worth it. As far as updates, I don't really know how many updates you need. The app does everything, very clean too. I was surprised that the latest update this past week did not include a stretched interface to fill iPhone 5 screens, but I'm sure they will address that soon.

I disagree...with having spent so much money on hardware for remote viewing they should provide the software for free. To charge £20 for me to be able to use my iPhone is bad enough but to then charge me the same again to use my iPad is a joke.

Love my slingbox but I'd be reluctant to buy another when (not if) this one fails (on my 3rd due to hardware failure)

funnyent

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
I love my Slingbox Pro HD, but I really do not like how they run the software division of their company. Having to pay (when I bought it) $30 for and iPhone and $30 for an iPad app is ridiculous. I understand charging for software, but at least make it a universal app!

Adambomb13

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Slingbox 500

Just got it setup this morning and I'm loving it, now I have 2 Slingboxes in my household (1 for me, 1 for my family) AV & 500 (wireless)... Major good different on IPhone 5 LTE connectivity ...I love the 500...

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I like what they look like. Like something from the mind of Clive Barker. Not sure what that has to do with a media recording though (unless you record Clive Baker movies) and I am sure not everyone will dig it. However, who really cares what it looks like as long as it does what it is suppose to.

ken2048

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
I've been a Sling user since the get go. I am also a Dish customer. I have 2 Dish Slingadapters which, frankly, outperform my 2 Solos hands down. At $99 a pop rather than $179 for a Slingbox, it makes better economic sense for me to replace my Solos with Slingadapters.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
slingbox_500.jpg

What the.... was this designed by M.C. Escher? This doesn't even look like a shape that can possibly exist.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
My Sling Box Pro HD RIP

For those following the thread, you may note my purchase of the Pro HD. I purchased it on October right before the new two models.

A lot of bad feedback on the HD Pro. Turns out I was too hopeful, and they were right. My HD Pro is bricked. The Extended Warranty will be utilised!

It's interesting on Amazon the HD Pro has 164 five star reviews and 128 one stars.

Whilst others may have differing experiences, the Pro HD is a one star for me. It will be replaced with a 500.

It's curious the 500 has 18 five star reviews and 10 one star ones on Amazon. The one star reviews range from no slingcatcher or WD support, protecting content and challenging set-up. I don't take the feedback lightly, but at least there are no equipment failures detailed. I'll actually defend sling with the protected content and sling catcher (ok, a good company would go the mile here. No one is saying Sling is a good company!)

My Solo is still rocking. Never had an issue with it.

infobleep

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
I think my Slingbox has just stopped working. They claim replacing the power supply may work. However it is lighting up, just not the network light.

I hope it's not a capacitor issue because I don't have the confidence to replace the capacitors without damaging it further. It's out of the 1 year warranty but I would argue that it should last longer than 1 year and that if it were the capacitors that failed, they should replace them.

Are their any good alternatives to the Slingbox or is it a case of everything out there is rubbish?

I've had no end of problems trying to get set up a non default port to work with my Slingbox. It worked just once and then within a few months it stopped working. This may be the fault if my O2 Wirelessbox IV router. Both seem to be equally as rubbish at this current time. The only plus point for the Wirelessbo IV router is that it is at least powering up and allowing me to connect to the Internet.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I think my Slingbox has just stopped working. They claim replacing the power supply may work. However it is lighting up, just not the network light.

I hope it's not a capacitor issue because I don't have the confidence to replace the capacitors without damaging it further. It's out of the 1 year warranty but I would argue that it should last longer than 1 year and that if it were the capacitors that failed, they should replace them.

Are their any good alternatives to the Slingbox or is it a case of everything out there is rubbish?

I've had no end of problems trying to get set up a non default port to work with my Slingbox. It worked just once and then within a few months it stopped working. This may be the fault if my O2 Wirelessbox IV router. Both seem to be equally as rubbish at this current time. The only plus point for the Wirelessbo IV router is that it is at least powering up and allowing me to connect to the Internet.

Where did you buy it from? I guess you're in the UK - and if it's a capacitor blown, and you have always used the original PSU, then there's pretty much going to be an inherent fault with it (caps should last more than a year - you can probably work it out by the rating of the blown cap and the max. operating temperature of the slingbox). In this case, you could have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act - but that's with the retailer, not Sling Media.

Also, if you bought it on a credit card (and it was > £100) the CC company are just as liable, and you can aim your SOGA claim at them. For something this price, most CC companies won't bother fighting it - it'll cost them more than that to defend it.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
so many things now can stream media I am tired of it

whats next and you going to make a dishwasher that can stream a livefeed of the dishes being cleaned

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.