Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhino4412

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I have an iPod 64gb 5th gen that I got for Christmas and noticed that the Home button makes a slight click when you first touch it. I am NOT talking about the click it makes when you press it. This click can be heard by just lightly tapping your finger on the button. I can best describe it as the outer home button that you touch is sitting slightly above whatever it is connected to on the iPod innards and it has a little in and out "play" before it engages the button. It is not loose or wiggly at all, it just makes this little click. My wife and I both have iPads and it doesn't happen on either one of them.
Anyone else experience this? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
The membrane of the home button on the iPod touch 5 isn't the best. I wouldn't worry to much about it if it doesn't effect the way you use it. You could always go to the Genius Bar.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have an iPod 64gb 5th gen that I got for Christmas and noticed that the Home button makes a slight click when you first touch it. I am NOT talking about the click it makes when you press it. This click can be heard by just lightly tapping your finger on the button. I can best describe it as the outer home button that you touch is sitting slightly above whatever it is connected to on the iPod innards and it has a little in and out "play" before it engages the button. It is not loose or wiggly at all, it just makes this little click. My wife and I both have iPads and it doesn't happen on either one of them.
Anyone else experience this? Is it something to be concerned about?

Every home button feels different, so chances are there are some other ipods out there that have a home button like that. It’s not anything to be concerned about, and you’ll probably get used to it after a while :)

AbacabMR

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
I have exactly the same thing on mine. I did went to the Genius Bar with it and they told me it was normal.

The button has been described (in reviews) as being 'weak'. It is in fact 'weak' if you compare it to a 4th gen or other previous gen's.

The 'bounce back' on mine is fine so I don't expect anything wrong with it.

I think the button is not 'tied' to anything underneath and there is a slight 'give' or 'space' in its 'path'. So whether is sits at the 'bottom' or 'floats' near the top as being 'even' with the outer casing, is does move when slightly tapping on it.

At first I thought it made the device 'feel cheap' but I got used to it. In my view that's the only weak spot on the IPT5 which is otherwise fine. Too bad Apple couldn't make that part 'top notch'...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.