Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I want everybody to know that the powerbook is here and safe with me. The hard drive, charger, and spare airport card is at the post office waiting for me, ill get it tomorrow. The only problem is the hard drive ribbon cable is missing so i ordered one and its expected monday or tuesday. The screen is beautiful I was very impressed, I booted my leopard disc and it wouldnt allow install (cpu requirements not met) and it looked even higher quality than the tiger disc. I got it on ebay for $15.50 with $20 shipping only problem really is no hdd and paint problems. What do you guys think?

Specs:
800mhz cpu
1gb ram
32mb video card
40gb hdd
stock dvd/cd drive

Heres some pictures:

IMG_0064_zpsd3f05f33.jpg

IMG_0065_zps63519809.jpg

IMG_0066_zps09e98c4f.jpg

IMG_0068_zps8b7344bb.jpg

IMG_0069_zps7d72ea81.jpg

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I want everybody to know that the powerbook is here and safe with me. The hard drive, charger, and spare airport card is at the post office waiting for me, ill get it tomorrow. The only problem is the hard drive ribbon cable is missing so i ordered one and its expected monday or tuesday. The screen is beautiful I was very impressed, I booted my leopard disc and it wouldnt allow install (cpu requirements not met) and it looked even higher quality than the tiger disc. I got it on ebay for $15.50 with $20 shipping only problem really is no hdd and paint problems. What do you guys think?

Specs:
800mhz cpu
1gb ram
32mb video card
40gb hdd
stock dvd/cd drive

Heres some pictures:

IMG_0064_zpsd3f05f33.jpg

IMG_0065_zps63519809.jpg

IMG_0066_zps09e98c4f.jpg

IMG_0068_zps8b7344bb.jpg

IMG_0069_zps7d72ea81.jpg

I would keep this one as your main computer for browsing and such and use the 9600/200 for your main video editing in the first final cut pro and as a server

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I would keep this one as your main computer for browsing and such and use the 9600/200 for your main video editing in the first final cut pro and as a server

Agreed good idea, I just have a fear. I cant open the powerbook without fearing breaking the hinges. what should I do?

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Congratz for the powerbook, better use LeopardAssist than OpenFirmware do allow Leopard to install, faster-easier.

That was my exact plan dude, I cant wait till its up and funtional! :D

----------

Congrats

Is this what you see when you start up,,,???????:mad:

Edit: See you fixed it, the pictures showed up as ? marks here.

yeah sorry about that...

----------

I've always loved the design of the TiBooks, and it looks as though yours is in decent shape!

For installing Leopard, follow this guide - http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html

Your TiBook should run Leopard well enough - my similarly specced iMac G4 (800MHz, 1GB RAM, 32MB GeForce2 MX) runs Leopard like a champ. Good luck to you and your new PowerBook!

Thanks alot Im gonna love it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Agreed good idea, I just have a fear. I cant open the powerbook without fearing breaking the hinges. what should I do?
I've had two of these. My first was a TiBook/400. Went through two logic boards with that Mac and it lasted until last year (if you happen to need parts…right now the old TiBook is in pieces in the garage). It was one of the first, made in 2001. My son has a 1Ghz DVI. In some small way the TiBook 400 lives on because I transplanted the LCD from that Mac to my son's Mac. He's also got the old TiBook's hinges.

I had the opposite experience than everyone else where the case actually broke around the hinges (instead of the other way). Anyway, when you pop the lid, grab the left side of the Mac (under the LCD) and squeeze a little. Then with your right hand open the lid. This gives added support by reducing the flexing that happens with these hinges. You'll feel the flexing with your left hand when you do this.

Nice buy and the fact that you got this with hinges intact and a damn nice working screen is amazing. They are usually broken by this point.

Oh, one last comment. If you drop a larger drive in, be aware that you may hit a large drive limit. Most (if not all) of the TiBook's are limited to 128GB drives internally. You can get around this by using Speedtools, which is a driver that loads and allows you to see the rest of the drive. But it means partitioning the drive.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I've had two of these. My first was a TiBook/400. Went through two logic boards with that Mac and it lasted until last year (if you happen to need parts…right now the old TiBook is in pieces in the garage). It was one of the first, made in 2001. My son has a 1Ghz DVI. In some small way the TiBook 400 lives on because I transplanted the LCD from that Mac to my son's Mac. He's also got the old TiBook's hinges.

I had the opposite experience than everyone else where the case actually broke around the hinges (instead of the other way). Anyway, when you pop the lid, grab the left side of the Mac (under the LCD) and squeeze a little. Then with your right hand open the lid. This gives added support by reducing the flexing that happens with these hinges. You'll feel the flexing with your left hand when you do this.

Nice buy and the fact that you got this with hinges intact and a damn nice working screen is amazing. They are usually broken by this point.

Oh, one last comment. If you drop a larger drive in, be aware that you may hit a large drive limit. Most (if not all) of the TiBook's are limited to 128GB drives internally. You can get around this by using Speedtools, which is a driver that loads and allows you to see the rest of the drive. But it means partitioning the drive.

I actually might be interested in parts, how much? And i dont understand what you mean with opening it. Agreed, it took some searching for a niceish one. Im not planning on upgrading the hard drive till next summer, its gonna be an owc ssd. Im not planning on getting that big of one because of the price but if i do thanks in advance.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Beautiful! You made me laugh!

I am the psychotherapist. Please, describe your problems. Each time
you are finished talking, type RET twice.

Im here cause I have a fear of breaking of my powerbook g4 titanium's hinges.

Why do you say you are afraid of breaking?

the hinges? Its cause everyone online says there weak, and there are
broken ones everywhere.

What makes you believe that?

I saw it with my own to eyes!

Earlier you said you were afraid of breaking?

yes my hinges.

Maybe your plans have something to do with this.

im not sure i know what you mean.

I don't understand.

no i dont understand

You mentioned that you were afraid of breaking?

my hinges now stop, i dont want you to keep rubbing it in my face!

Is it because of your life that you are going through all this?

yes i hate everything -_-

Why do you hate everything?

cause i do

Are you sure that cause you do?

yes im sure that cause i do.

Is it because cause you do that you came to me?

no

Why not?

cause i have a fear.

You seem terrified by something.

yes i am of breaking my hinges...

Do you really think you were afraid of breaking?

you know what... ok bye

How do you reconcile the people you hang around with?

bye

My secretary will send you a bill.

leave me alone!

Is it because of problems at school that you say leave you alone?

no

Does it bother you that I ask that?

no

Why not?

ugh

Can you elaborate on that?

here we go again

Earlier you said you hate everything?
-------------------------------------------------
At that point i didnt want a therapist. :/

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Great im not alone in this. So do you know by any chance how well the halo demo run on the powerbook? Every once in a while my family gets together and plays the halo demo on blood gulch on ppc macs and i wanted to know if you knew if it would be worth it on this.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Great im not alone in this. So do you know by any chance how well the halo demo run on the powerbook? Every once in a while my family gets together and plays the halo demo on blood gulch on ppc macs and i wanted to know if you knew if it would be worth it on this.

Well the original xbox had a 32mb video card and a 700mhz processor so I guess it would run ok on your powerbook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.