Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
*If* the iPhone 6 has a larger screen what would the resolution be?

Would it have the iPad resolution 1024x768 at 4+ inches to maintain retina PPI? Has anybody done the math like that Guber guy did to figure out the iPad mini resolution?

I'm bored before spring semester starts.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'd love to see the math too. In theory, if you can double the resolution, wouldn't that also eliminate the fear of fragmentation? Sort of like how iPad Mini's 7.9" is perfectly sized for apps to scale iPad apps down to the same resolution/size?

Or did I get that all completely wrong? Not sure how it all works, but would love to see someone more knowledgable about all this figure it, too. We can, in theory, predict the next iPhone size change, whether it comes this year or next.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
*If* the iPhone 6 has a larger screen what would the resolution be?

Would it have the iPad resolution 1024x768 at 4+ inches to maintain retina PPI? Has anybody done the math like that Guber guy did to figure out the iPad mini resolution?

I'm bored before spring semester starts.

Depends on the aspect ratio - if they go with the 16:9 like the iP5....

4.3" at 326 ppi would yield at resolution of roughly 1189x743.

Since the iPads are 4:3 and the iPhone 16:9 -you wouldn't take an iPad res to an iPhone screen.

They would have to move to a new resolution which would cause developers to re work apps to fit. I suppose they could theoretically put letterboxing around all four sides for apps that weren't scaled yet - I just don't see it happening.

I also don't see them doubling the resolution and packing a 652 ppi screen in there anytime soon :p We'd be talking a resolution of 2272x1280 - almost 3 million pixels in an 8.3" area.....nuts.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
They can increase the screen size. They don't need to change the resolution.

The "retina" iPad is under the "magical" 300.

It's all a sliding scale.

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
when, if ever, are we going to see an edge-to-edge screen phone? and excuse my ignorance if there is already a non-Apple phone out there like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.