Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The only way to get AppleCare+ at this point is taking it in and having them see it's in fine condition. Obviously it's not. Curious to see the OP's experience from going in.
Ahh I see, I never buy warranty because I take care of my stuff like they were babies. BUt you are right you need to take the iPad physically into the store to get it.

People say this all the time, but how is it going to help if you drop the iPad while using it or fall asleep on it?
Well an Otterbox should be more than sufficient for small drops or falling asleep and hitting it off the bed.

TS glad they helped you out. He basically will lie to the system and tell them the iPad had no defects when you came to buy applecare+ like it needs to happen.

I wonder if they get a commission or something for selling applecare+ though?

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Update, So I went to the apple store met with up a Genius , Hey whats up I'm so and so how can I help you, ME: are you ready for this to the genius big FML today Took the lid off the box and he is like oooooh, ME: yeah Just received it 4 days ago it was gift didn't even enjoy it. Genius: did it come out of the box like that? ME: Of course not it was brand new when it came I used it for a few hours over the past couple of days I was using it last night, fell asleep, woke up had to errands to run, by the time I got home I see my iPad faced down on my bed I pick it up to use it and boom it was cracked < I guess My foot must've it hit while sleeping or something pressed on it, I knew 2013 wouldn't start on a good note isn't 13 an evil unlucky number? lol he just :D so he pulls up the serial number blah blah I'm waiting calm and collected he says yeah I can replace it I have 2 in stock for $299, would've been nice if you had AppleCare+
ME: I know I was planning on it for sure, but realize it I only had it for less than a week I didn't expect this to happen , Genius : well that's what you call an Accident, Accidents happen , ME: yeah I totally understand it's definitely my fault, and it does sucks is there anything else you can do I plan on getting AppleCare+ but 299+100 might as well buy a new one and forget that it was even a gift , there must be something you can do , he waits and like noo I only have 2 in stock, I was like nothing at all? he waits and says BRB, comes back and says grab ur stuff lets talk a walk to the back I was like sure, Genius Ok I'm going to offer you a good deal the best I can do I brought you here because I don't want others to here this , but I'll do 150+AppleCare+ so you are looking at 250 , ME: yeah sounds good but still only 50 bucks off coming out of pocket need I remind u it was a gift :D, he says not much else I can do I was like man this sucks big time, is there anything else you can do I want to get appleCare+ but paying 250 sucks right now, Genius : hmmm thats it we can do this right now, ME: 250 is a bit much there must be something you can do lets start this year on a good note :D sometimes I know you guys replace them as a courtesy I know you are not obligated too or anything its a case by case thing, but help me out if YOU can, if not I understand I do want to get AppleCare+ so with the replacement fee and AppleCare+ if you can give me a better price than 250 maybe we can work with that, Genius: contemplates and hmmm says BRB
comes back like Ok Il'' replace it for free just make sure u get AppleCare+ for 100 I say Great I definitely want to add AppleCare+ just in case this happens again , says BRB comes back with a brown box, takes the iPad out, setting it up ...... and also putting AppleCare+ I check my pockets for my wallet, and I'm like CRAP called the guy by his first name like dude I left my wallet at home This sucks real bad, Genius: OK ( disappointed face) . ME: I can go home and come back but I will cut it close to your closing time, but if you want I will go and come back , he says I leave at 8 anyway, but hey give me your word that you will get it within the next 30 days , ME of course, he says Ok well here is your new iPad, and I tell the Guy I am a man of my word, I will come back tomorrow to put AppleCare+ do you have a card? he gives me his card and says anyone can do it btw, I was like yeah but I will come see you

I will head there today to get AppleCare+, I'm so happy they replaced it :D
It's all about being cool calm and collected do not catch an attitude, be nice and Honest and depending on who you deal with they will do their best to help you, I realize that the guy was maybe testing my attitude /honesty earlier when he saw it cracked and said ooh it came out of the box like that( somewhat of a smart comment eh? I flat out said Of course not the damage that happened was all MY fault, I'm just wondering if there is anything you can do for me

:D:D

:eek::eek::eek: What am i reading??????

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
It's a sad statement of our times how many people suggest commiting fraud. Very very sad.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
It's a sad statement of our times how many people suggest commiting fraud. Very very sad.

I did not , I told them what happened exactly hoping to get a replacement for less than 299 , I talked to the guy without making anything up and he decided that he can do the replacement , I went back today and saw the same guy and got the AppleCare+ as I promised him last night he was cool about it

----------

next time i have to buy a car, can you come with me and negotiate?

:d anytime :apple:

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I did not , I told them what happened exactly hoping to get a replacement for less than 299 , I talked to the guy without making anything up and he decided that he can do the replacement , I went back today and saw the same guy and got the AppleCare+ as I promised him last night he was cool about it

----------

:d anytime :apple:

Convenient that you didn't have your wallet on you at the time to pay anything. Sounds like you need some lessons of responsibility. At apples expense.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
I'm glad you got your new iPad, but you were VERY persistent on getting a free replacement for a product YOU broke, which is unethical. Maybe you didn't intend to break it, but you did. And it's kind of sketchy that you randomly "forgot" your wallet when you were "expecting" to pay a reduced price for the replacement. It all seems weird to me.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Try not to make your new ipad look like you served a pizza off of it before breaking it again.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Convenient that you didn't have your wallet on you at the time to pay anything. Sounds like you need some lessons of responsibility. At apples expense.

People forget, do you honestly think I made the drive without my license on purpose to the Applestore to see what they could do for me as far as my iPad goes... I went based on a few recommendations here go see what Apple might be able to do for you....

----------

I'm glad you got your new iPad, but you were VERY persistent on getting a free replacement for a product YOU broke, which is unethical. Maybe you didn't intend to break it, but you did. And it's kind of sketchy that you randomly "forgot" your wallet when you were "expecting" to pay a reduced price for the replacement. It all seems weird to me.

I did expect to pay a fee for the iPad I definitely did not intend on not paying anything I told him I would come back if he would allow me too, it was cutting close to closing time so he said just come back another day, I said I will come back tomorrow and that's what I did today went back and saw the same guy and finished the transaction:)

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
People forget, do you honestly think I made the drive without my license on purpose to the Applestore to see what they could do for me as far as my iPad goes... I went based on a few recommendations here go see what Apple might be able to do for you....

----------

I did expect to pay a fee for the iPad I definitely did not intend on not paying anything I told him I would come back if he would allow me too, it was cutting close to closing time so he said just come back another day, I said I will come back tomorrow and that's what I did today went back and saw the same guy and finished the transaction:)
I just find it funny u get a free iPad and fall asleep and crack the screen. Then go to apple store without your wallet and say u don't want to pay anything and $250 was too much. Did you then leave the apple store to have dinner and get your new iPad stolen from the car? Lol

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Update, So I went to the apple store met with up a Genius , Hey whats up I'm so and so how can I help you, ME: are you ready for this to the genius big FML today Took the lid off the box and he is like oooooh, ME: yeah Just received it 4 days ago it was gift didn't even enjoy it. Genius: did it come out of the box like that? ME: Of course not it was brand new when it came I used it for a few hours over the past couple of days I was using it last night, fell asleep, woke up had to errands to run, by the time I got home I see my iPad faced down on my bed I pick it up to use it and boom it was cracked < I guess My foot must've it hit while sleeping or something pressed on it, I knew 2013 wouldn't start on a good note isn't 13 an evil unlucky number? lol he just :D so he pulls up the serial number blah blah I'm waiting calm and collected he says yeah I can replace it I have 2 in stock for $299, would've been nice if you had AppleCare+
ME: I know I was planning on it for sure, but realize it I only had it for less than a week I didn't expect this to happen , Genius : well that's what you call an Accident, Accidents happen , ME: yeah I totally understand it's definitely my fault, and it does sucks is there anything else you can do I plan on getting AppleCare+ but 299+100 might as well buy a new one and forget that it was even a gift , there must be something you can do , he waits and like noo I only have 2 in stock, I was like nothing at all? he waits and says BRB, comes back and says grab ur stuff lets talk a walk to the back I was like sure, Genius Ok I'm going to offer you a good deal the best I can do I brought you here because I don't want others to here this , but I'll do 150+AppleCare+ so you are looking at 250 , ME: yeah sounds good but still only 50 bucks off coming out of pocket need I remind u it was a gift :D, he says not much else I can do I was like man this sucks big time, is there anything else you can do I want to get appleCare+ but paying 250 sucks right now, Genius : hmmm thats it we can do this right now, ME: 250 is a bit much there must be something you can do lets start this year on a good note :D sometimes I know you guys replace them as a courtesy I know you are not obligated too or anything its a case by case thing, but help me out if YOU can, if not I understand I do want to get AppleCare+ so with the replacement fee and AppleCare+ if you can give me a better price than 250 maybe we can work with that, Genius: contemplates and hmmm says BRB
comes back like Ok Il'' replace it for free just make sure u get AppleCare+ for 100 I say Great I definitely want to add AppleCare+ just in case this happens again , says BRB comes back with a brown box, takes the iPad out, setting it up ...... and also putting AppleCare+ I check my pockets for my wallet, and I'm like CRAP called the guy by his first name like dude I left my wallet at home This sucks real bad, Genius: OK ( disappointed face) . ME: I can go home and come back but I will cut it close to your closing time, but if you want I will go and come back , he says I leave at 8 anyway, but hey give me your word that you will get it within the next 30 days , ME of course, he says Ok well here is your new iPad, and I tell the Guy I am a man of my word, I will come back tomorrow to put AppleCare+ do you have a card? he gives me his card and says anyone can do it btw, I was like yeah but I will come see you

I will head there today to get AppleCare+, I'm so happy they replaced it :D
It's all about being cool calm and collected do not catch an attitude, be nice and Honest and depending on who you deal with they will do their best to help you, I realize that the guy was maybe testing my attitude /honesty earlier when he saw it cracked and said ooh it came out of the box like that( somewhat of a smart comment eh? I flat out said Of course not the damage that happened was all MY fault, I'm just wondering if there is anything you can do for me

:D:D
That's the benefit of Apple's high prices & fat profits. It allows them to give some away & still rake in more money than other companies. Even better, their customers brag about Apples profits as thought they were the one taking in the revenue. Got to hand it to Apple, they've been very convincing.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
People need to quit giving the OP crap. People have had their devices replaced for free, he just had to do a little extra talking and he got it for free. There's nothing unethical about it. He was honest about what happened. He didn't lie or try to deceive anyone.

Quit trying to give him a hard time. Congrats to the OP. My iPad 3 got its screen cracked while I was sleeping. Apparently I knocked it off my bed and it the screen smacked into the wheels of my chair. I had AC+ so paying $50 wasn't an issue. I was actually happy that it happened because the replacement iPad that I got had 5.1.1 which meant that I could jailbreak my iPad 3 again (for some reason I lost my sense and upgraded it to iOS 6 when iOS 6 was released).

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So,

Guy did you a favour outside of company policy, after pulling you aside and taking you out the back so people wouldn't hear about it, and you repay him by posting it on the internet?

Good job.

Seriously, glad you got it sorted out, but....

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010

Comitting fraud against one of the most unethical companies involved in tech......

A single tear rolls down my cheek for apple :rolleyes:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Comitting fraud against one of the most unethical companies involved in tech......

Fraud is when you willingly lie to someone. Apple was always going to give him the free iPad....they just wanted him to buy the Apple Care so they could write it off on their insurance. If you read their policy, it states that it covers accidents and he wouldve had 14days to get the apple care anyway.

People need to lay off the OP & Apple. There is no fraud here.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Next time I have to buy a car, can you come with me and negotiate?

Exactly! If the same happened to me, the most I'd manage would be:

Me: Can you do something for me?
Genius: Very little..
Me: Please?
Genius: No.
Me: Ok! Thanks for trying!

And that would be the end of it. I'm a bit jealous of people who can stick their neck out a bit more. As the OP said, he was completely honest about it.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I did not

Not you, others who suggested you commit fraud by purchasing and using insurance after you had already damaged your device.

----------

A thief is a thief is a thief. You have no honor.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Fraud is when you willingly lie to someone. Apple was always going to give him the free iPad....they just wanted him to buy the Apple Care so they could write it off on their insurance. If you read their policy, it states that it covers accidents and he wouldve had 14days to get the apple care anyway.

People need to lay off the OP & Apple. There is no fraud here.

Eh?

I thought they were talking about defrauding apple no? By saying the iPad was broken in the box? May have misread..... we dont have the 14 day accident cover in the UK under applecare I dont think.

----------

So... why are you here, douche?

Check out my signature, I own quite a lot of apple products. It doesnt mean Im not allowed to criticise them in anyway ;)

----------

A thief is a thief is a thief. You have no honor.

Thanks for your all encompassing statement. You must clearly be a world authority on everything moral, yeah?

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Commuting fraud would be to purposely break your iPad and get it replaced with AC+ when you say that it "accidentally" broke so that you could resell it.

AoS

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
I know there's no grammar police, but the way the OP writes is so immature and childish and suggests to me that he/she probably didn't go back to buy AppleCare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.