Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Check this out...

The iPhone is basically as powerful as an older Mac. What if the iPhone used iOS on it's native screen, but also had OSX installed. When you get home you could dock it and access OSX with a mouse, keyboard, 27" monitor etc.

Then you would have access to your full system on any computer over usb, wifi, bluetooth etc. Basically a full Mac Mini in your pocket ready access anywhere. All of you music, videos, docs etc would be accessable on both systems.

What do you think?

Last edited:

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Check this out...

The iPhone is basically as powerful as an older Mac. What if the iPhone used iOS on it's native screen, but also had OSX installed. When you get home you could dock it and access OSX with a mouse, keyboard, 27" monitor etc.

Then you would have access to your full system on any computer over usb, wifi, bluetooth etc. Basically a full Mac Mini in your pocket ready access anywhere. All of you music, videos, docs etc would be accessable on both systems.

What do you think?
So you would have to rebuild OS X to run on ARM? They already did that... it's called iOS.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
I'm still not getting it... Why would I build two operating systems for one device? As a programmer, that logically does not make sense as you are creating more overhead.

It's one OS with two UIs depending on whether your using the iPhone screen or a big monitor, keyboard etc.

----------

Yeah because OSX or any other legacy desktop OS is the future.

Exactly. The CPU, HD etc is on the phone. Just a new cutting edge OS that morphs based on the screen and input devices.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
It's one OS with two UIs depending on whether your using the iPhone screen or a big monitor, keyboard etc.

----------

Exactly. The CPU, HD etc is on the phone. Just a new cutting edge OS that morphs based on the screen and input devices.
So, now you are saying it's one operating system now that I point that out.

Secondly, my needs are different when I use a computer than when I use my mobile device. On my computer I need power for the applications I use, the iPhone will not pack the punch I need. Not only that but the technologies I need for a computer I do not have access to on a mobile.

You are trying to say one device to do a lot. Again, think about this logically like an engineer. By creating one device to do so much you are creating more over head on a single project.

If you like the idea so much, check out Ubuntu. It's an OS made for the computer. They now have made the OS compatible with mobile devices. It will be interesting to see how this develops now that we have a better perspective on mobile needs.

Though again, look at how Microsoft failed by trying to make one OS. Now they have two.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What do you think?
Sounds great on paper but look into the details and you'll see why these don't exist. The old saying "jack of all trades, master of none" exists for good reason. Mobile devices have to make compromises that desktop computing solutions aren't constrained by. Even the Macbook Air doesn't have the same powerful GPU's that comes on the other Macbooks. Further, I don't use a desktop so it's really not useful to me.

Anyone can make a list of features to "create" a new product but actually creating a product isn't so simple. Thing always seem simple when you're blissfully ignorant of the details. We may see such products down the road and they may work for many but they'll still lack the computing power available to a proper desktop system.

Last edited:

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Sounds great on paper but look into the details and you'll see why these don't exist. The old saying "jack of all trades, master of none" exists for good reason. Mobile devices have to make compromises that desktop computing solutions aren't constrained by. Even the Macbook Air doesn't have the same powerful GPU's that comes on the other Macbooks. Further, I don't use a desktop so it's really not useful to me.

Anyone can make a list of features to "create" a new product but actually creating a product isn't so simple. Thing always seem simple when you're blissfully ignorant of the details. We may see such products down the road and they may work for many but they'll still lack the computing power available to a proper desktop system.

That (above) and many users, though admittedly not all, would need an iPhone with much more than 64 GB.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Check this out...
I already wish I hadn't

The iPhone is basically as powerful as an older Mac.

True

What if the iPhone used iOS on it's native screen, but also had OSX installed.
This is where you're starting to lose me.

When you get home you could dock it and access OSX with a mouse, keyboard, 27" monitor etc.

How is this going to "dock" to all of these? Through 1 lighting connection?

Then you would have access to your full system on any computer over usb, wifi, bluetooth etc.

Wait, what? You can already do this through various interweb setups. I'm still confused about what the dock/hardware looks like. From what you're describing you're still hooking this up to a computer or some other device, not just hooking the phone up to a monitor, which seems beyond pointless to me.

Basically a full Mac Mini in your pocket ready access anywhere. All of you music, videos, docs etc would be accessable on both systems.

Oh, I get it now!! Except I still don't. Beyond the fact that while yes, the iPhone hardware is impressive, it's not impressive compared to a current computer. You're certainly not going to be running ML on it, so you can hope for what, Tiger on there? Actually, I take this back. I already have a device that can access all my "systems" on it, is portable, can be hooked up to a 24" monitor, keyboard, etc. It's called my 15" MBP. Too big you say? Sure, I'll just use my 13" MBP. How about this for an idea, your phone doesn't need to be a computer and your computer kicks in to do tasks your phone doesn't. I'd also go into how absolutely ridiculous it would be to run two OSs and have all you "systems" on it with 64GB of space (although you're realistically looking at what, 45 after multiple OS installs?) and a gig of RAM, but I'll just stop here.[/quote]

What do you think?

Awesome idea!! Except for, you know, the parts that make no sense.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
Geez... people just aren't creative or imaginative. People just say it's cool or not. No need to bash the op for thinking this would be nice.

I for one understand the coolness of having one device that can do it all. Prob not going to happen anytime soon but it's cool to hope.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Geez... people just aren't creative or imaginative. People just say it's cool or not. No need to bash the op for thinking this would be nice.

I for one understand the coolness of having one device that can do it all. Prob not going to happen anytime soon but it's cool to hope.

My thoughts exactly. The man said it was merely a concept. I'm sure in the 80s/90s people would call you an idiot for fantasizing about bringing "smart" functions to a phone. Geez.

Basically OP wants the Motorola Atrix done right w/ OS X. But Apple would likely not do this because the last thing they want is to cannabilze laptop/desktop sales even more.

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
Basically OP wants the Motorola Atrix done right w/ OS X. But Apple would likely not do this because the last thing they want is to cannabilze laptop/desktop sales even more.

Basically this. Motorola's execution was poor, but the idea was amazing. I think that this would be a pretty cool feature but won't happen anytime soon.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Why? I think you are wrong yet again. If this so device could be executed properly, then you could get everyone to buy one device. Then you could get people who needed the docking area and pay more money for that.

Though again you guys are lacking the understanding of power consumption and power to drive certain operations.

EDIT: Also, I'm not bashing the OP. I'm trying to get him to realize the short comings of his/her idea. Yes, great idea in concept but if people don't criticize your concept or give you feedback that means people have stopped caring about you/your idea. If s/he wants to make this concept a reality s/he needs to learn how to over come these short comings.

Get over yourself. Don't be afraid to be better. Don't be afraid to fail. Don't be afraid to be wrong. Push yourself.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Why? I think you are wrong yet again. If this so device could be executed properly, then you could get everyone to buy one device. Then you could get people who needed the docking area and pay more money for that.

Though again you guys are lacking the understanding of power consumption and power to drive certain operations.

EDIT: Also, I'm not bashing the OP. I'm trying to get him to realize the short comings of his/her idea. Yes, great idea in concept but if people don't criticize your concept or give you feedback that means people have stopped caring about you/your idea. If s/he wants to make this concept a reality s/he needs to learn how to over come these short comings.

Get over yourself. Don't be afraid to be better. Don't be afraid to fail. Don't be afraid to be wrong. Push yourself.

Yet again? This is the first time I posted in this thread. :p

In the case of the Atrix the "dock" which was a Linux laptop essentially was (instead of a cpu/ram/etc) occupied with a giant battery to charge the phone and power the display. So there's your address to power concerns.

Now I'm not saying this is practical or that I'm in my garage building a prototype currently. I just used a real-world example of what it seems like the OP wanted.

Motorola's Webtop w/ OS X instead of Linux.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks for the advice Dr. Phil
Anytime! :p

mikeydeezy said:
Yet again? This is the first time I posted in this thread.

In the case of the Atrix the "dock" which was a Linux laptop essentially was (instead of a cpu/ram/etc) occupied with a giant battery to charge the phone and power the display. So there's your address to power concerns.

Now I'm not saying this is practical or that I'm in my garage building a prototype currently. I just used a real-world example of what it seems like the OP wanted.

Motorola's Webtop w/ OS X instead of Linux.
My bad. Also, that does not address my power concerns. I'm talking about the raw power of the CPU being able to perform the tasks I need compared to that of a traditional computer. So how would you design the hardware to be able to draw power from a 5 watt/hr and preform the tasks you need on the go with the same kind of raw power in a full fledge computer? Basically what I'm trying to say is CPU performance needs and the power sources these mobile devices use. So how do you have the CPU perform dynamic processing (kind of like hyper threading and turbo boost) to meet all the demands of the users lifestyle? Then how do you deal with the heat that is generated in such a small space?

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Being a concept I am speaking of the very near future when we will have enough power, ram HD space etc in our phones.

I just feel like for most people the CPU, ram, HD etc is redundant. You can have a cheap monitor, keyboard and mouse in every room.

As has been mentioned iOS is OSX. So just adjust the UI based on what screen happens to be in front of us.

Even at the mall, airport, someone elses house, in an airplane with a monitor on the back of the seat in front of you.

The computer is in your pocket. Access to that computer is everwhere around us in multiple forms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.