Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njain

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
I have decided to switch from safari over to firefox. How do I move my bookmarks from safari to firefox? There is no import/export option to my knowing in firefox. Thanks

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
I have decided to switch from safari over to firefox. How do I move my bookmarks from safari to firefox? There is no import/export option to my knowing in firefox. Thanks

Firefox imports Safari settings automatically. Just go to File > Import... and select Safari. In the next window, check the boxes of what you want to import. For example, your Safari Bookmarks will appear in Firefox's Bookmarks menu as "From Safari." Whatever other bookmarks you had on your Safari Bookmarks Bar will automatically appear on your Firefox Bookmarks Bar, too.

swbusiness

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Firefox imports Safari settings automatically. Just go to File > Import... and select Safari. In the next window, check the boxes of what you want to import. For example, your Safari Bookmarks will appear in Firefox's Bookmarks menu as "From Safari." Whatever other bookmarks you had on your Safari Bookmarks Bar will automatically appear on your Firefox Bookmarks Bar, too.

In my version of FireFox (10.0.2) there is no Import under the File menu. Instead -->

In Firefox is Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks (this opens the Library window) > Import and Backup > Import Data from Another Browser

Note that on Mac the Import and Backup button is the 3rd from the left in the menu bar that looks like a star.

cap1111

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
In my version of FireFox (10.0.2) there is no Import under the File menu. Instead -->

In Firefox is Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks (this opens the Library window) > Import and Backup > Import Data from Another Browser

Note that on Mac the Import and Backup button is the 3rd from the left in the menu bar that looks like a star.

Thanks! I've been searching for an hour to get an answer - several dead ends. Your solution was clear, brief and it worked! :)

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
You may want to consider Xmarks in the future, unless you don't like the idea of your bookmarks being in the cloud. I switch between browsers often and love that my bookmarks are always ready for me as soon as I install Xmarks.

simonjt

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Portsmouth
Copying iMac Safari bookmarks to PC

I've got an iMac with Mountain Lion and OSX 10.8.2 which I use, and a PC on a separate desk next to it which my two children use, but they occasionally ask to use the far more superior machine if they both want a computer at the same time etc.
How do I copy my 263 bookmarks (which are across 10 folders) in Safari on the iMac to the PC, to be able to use when I get relegated to the PC?! The PC has Windows XP Home on it and uses Mozilla Firefox as it's browser.
I've located the bookmarks on my iMac and they total 2.2MB, but how do I transfer them to the PC? I've got a 500MB memory stick, but apparently, for some reason the memory stick says they won't all fit onto the stick; why not? I've also tried email a few at a trim, but with no luck. Is there an easier way of doing it? If so, and I eventually manage to get them onto the PC, how do I import them into Mozilla Firefox on the PC?
Thanks,
Simon.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
In Safari, click File -> Export Bookmarks. Now you have all your bookmarks in a single file. This file is usually less than 1 MB. If you can't copy this file to your usb memory or mail it to yourself, you have far bigger problems that you need to take care of first.

simonjt

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Portsmouth
In Safari, click File -> Export Bookmarks. Now you have all your bookmarks in a single file. This file is usually less than 1 MB. If you can't copy this file to your usb memory or mail it to yourself, you have far bigger problems that you need to take care of first.

Thanks. I exported the bookmarks as you said and saved it to Documents. I then saved it to my memory stick, which it saved it as a html file; 27kb in size. I copied it to my PC from the memory stick, but it just opened all 263 of them as a html file, all in the correct order with folder names, but what do I do now? If I click on one it takes me to the individual website, but all I can then do is save it as a Bookmark in Firefox. Surely I don't have to do all 263; one by one?!

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
In Firefox on Windows, click Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Import HTML.

Just google "firefox windows import bookmarks" if you want additional details.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you're using Firefox on both Mac and windows then you can use Firefox's sync feature.

Another option is to export all your bookmarks as HTML and put them on a webserver if you have webspace. A lot of ISPs provide it free. That way you can access them from any computer anywhere. Something like userid.isp.net/bookmarks.html.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.