Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If a person leaves their phone on the charger and leaves the room, and they receive a text message while out of the room, it is helpful to have a notification light to alert them of the presence of that text (when they enter the room again). Without the light, they'd have to make sure they remember to check the phone for any possible messages they may have missed while out of the room. With a notification light, they can just glance at the phone as they are walking in the room and know if they have something they need to take a look at. Is it essential? No, but it is EXTREMELY convenient.

But it's still missing one feature that would finally make it useful: Apple has to say it's useful.

:apple:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
This has to be the millionth iOS vs Android thread. There's always got to be some guy who needs to bring up that their platform is "better".

Anyways, the video sucked. It had very little actual content.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Only difference is, Samsung could actually produce this. We all know Apple will string along its users for years, dishing out small pieces of tech annually. It only took Apple 2 years to figure out LTE. :D Maybe in another 2 years, the iPhone will get NFC or an LED Notification light! :rolleyes:
Don't need to worry about software though. Apple just waits for Google to put out the latest version of Android and then copies or steals the ideas. Even then, they tend to screw up the stuff they copy. Hello Maps. Hello Notification Center.

Great point.

I don't see why Samsung isn't suing Apple for things they copied.

I honestly wish Apple would catch up and go back to innovating

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Show me a single post on iphone 5 sales. A single one? No, ya got nothng huh?
What has Samsung put out? 50 million in 6 months? So Samsung is producing more with just 1 in 1 quarter that ittakes Apple 2 quarters and all their iphones combined. Maybe that has somethingn to do with the $200 per share slide we have seen.

And I copied this post for posterity. In your view, which appears deeply soaked in Apple's diuretic Koolaid, once features l

Yeah and Hyundai outsell BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari combined.

Must be better.

edit:
I have an iPad 4 with LTE and it is still fairly useless where I live. We have LTE available within 8km of the CBD in most capital cities only. I live 35km from the CBD and work 10km from the CBD when I'm in the office, and thousands of KM away when I'm visiting one of our remote sites.

I think apple did the right thing with delaying LTE until the power consumption came down, but I still don't care if anything I buy has it.... the infrastructure isn't there yet.

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I use Apple devices. I like Apple devices. Apple devices do everything I need them to do. Android devices are great for some, but don't offer anything more to me. I prefer Apple's ecosystem and have a lot of money in apps and such and would rather not throw that away.

That rationalization is useful for justification of your purchase, why you remain within the ecosystem and why you feel options and tech that other phones have that the iphone lacks is 'superfluous'.
But this is also something that sticks you within the quagmire that is called Apples 'walled garden'. And Apple wants you to feel the way you do. And it will lead to regret eventually. May not be in a year, but you will down the road. ∞

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That rationalization is useful for justification of your purchase, why you remain within the ecosystem and why you feel options and tech that other phones have that the iphone lacks is 'superfluous'.
But this is also something that sticks you within the quagmire that is called Apples 'walled garden'. And Apple wants you to feel the way you do. And it will lead to regret eventually. May not be in a year, but you will down the road. ∞

Your post is the exact Android mindset that causes me to argue - why do you think I'll regret my purchases? I've been with App,e for years and haven't had any regrets....why is what's best for you best for me?

I don't feel the way I do because Apple tells me to - there are plenty of Apple users who don't like the way Apple has taken iOS. The fact that I'm not one of them doesn't mean I can't think for myself - it just means I like what I like. I read a lot, am very interested in tech but have my devices set certain ways....

Yes Apple ropes,you in with the ecosystem - every maker (Google, Apple, Amazon, Windows) wants you to,play in their sandbox and keep you there....it's not something unique to Apple.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Yeah and Hyundai outsell BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari combined.

Must be better.

edit:
I have an iPad 4 with LTE and it is still fairly useless where I live. We have LTE available within 8km of the CBD in most capital cities only. I live 35km from the CBD and work 10km from the CBD when I'm in the office, and thousands of KM away when I'm visiting one of our remote sites.

I think apple did the right thing with delaying LTE until the power consumption came down, but I still don't care if anything I buy has it.... the infrastructure isn't there yet.

Oh well, if the infrastructure isn't there for 'YOU', I guess it is okay then for Apple to be behind the tech curve. Make sure you let Apple know when tech is available for you, so they know when to add it to all their devices. The millions and millions of people that have had access to LTE for years, will be glad to wait on you. :rolleyes: #sarcasm

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Your post is the exact Android mindset that causes me to argue - why do you think I'll regret my purchases? I've been with App,e for years and haven't had any regrets....why is what's best for you best for me?

I don't feel the way I do because Apple tells me to - there are plenty of Apple users who don't like the way Apple has taken iOS. The fact that I'm not one of them doesn't mean I can't think for myself - it just means I like what I like. I read a lot, am very interested in tech but have my devices set certain ways....

Yes Apple ropes,you in with the ecosystem - every maker (Google, Apple, Amazon, Windows) wants you to,play in their sandbox and keep you there....it's not something unique to Apple.

My post had no intent to argue. My point is simply this: if you always say, "I can't change, I am too heavily invested...", when you do change (and you will, nothing lasts forever) you will have regret about losing all the time and money you invested AND you will have frustration and anger towards the new system you turn to, simply because it isn't 'like' Apple.

As for Google and Android, this is an open Linux OS that can be used on more than a phone or tablet, and by any manufacturer. This means it is quickly and constantly evolving. In 4 years, Android has gone from a crappy, laggy, bug invested OS, to the number one OS in the world and now lives in cameras, televisions, cars, the home, etc... In 5 years, look at iOS. How much evolution have you seen? Fast foward 5 years and even the most hardcore iFans know it doesn't look good. That is the problem with a company that won't embrass change or allow its code to actually be useful in something that doesn't have an apple logo. This is the 80's Windows vs Mac battle all over again. Only difference is, Apple doesn't have a Steve Jobs to come in and save a sinking ship.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
My post had no intent to argue. My point is simply this: if you always say, "I can't change, I am too heavily invested...", when you do change (and you will, nothing lasts forever) you will have regret about losing all the time and money you invested AND you will have frustration and anger towards the new system you turn to, simply because it isn't 'like' Apple.

As for Google and Android, this is an open Linux OS that can be used on my than a phone or tablet and by any manufacturer. This means it is quickly and constantly evolving. In 4 years, Android has gone from a crappy, laggy, bug invested OS, to the number one OS in the world and now lives in cameras, televisions, cars, the home, etc... In 5 years, look at iOS. How much evolution havd you seen? Fast foward 5 years and even the most hardcore iFans know it doesn't look good. That is the problem with a company that won't embrass change or allow its code to actually be useful in something that doesn't have an apple logo.

Sure I see your point. I just don't see iOS as this outdated walled garden you do. I still prefer the iOS look and feel - maybe I won't in a few years, but then again Apple just fired their iOS head so who knows what it will evolve into as well.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Oh well, if the infrastructure isn't there for 'YOU', I guess it is okay then for Apple to be behind the tech curve. Make sure you let Apple know when tech is available for you, so they know when to add it to all their devices. The millions and millions of people that have had access to LTE for years, will be glad to wait on you. :rolleyes: #sarcasm

My point is that LTE is not yet widespread, and most certainly wasn't 2 years ago, when the rest of the insdustry were rushing out power hungry first generation LTE chipsets.

I'm not complaining that I have LTE today.

I'm simply stating the fact that putting a power hungry LTE chipset in a device 2 years ago when there was very little infrastructure was probably more trouble than its worth (reduced battery life) for most of their customer base.

I'd like to ask - did you have widespread LTE in your area in 2010?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I had tons invested in the iOS ecosystem before I gave up my iPhone. It's a shame to lose out but, honestly, you just get over it. Especially given the advantages you gain with android. It's really not that big of a deal to make the change.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I had tons invested in the iOS ecosystem before I gave up my iPhone. It's a shame to lose out but, honestly, you just get over it. Especially given the advantages you gain with android. It's really not that big of a deal to make the change.

Its not just about the money/time invested - its about how my iPhone, iPads, AppleTVs and iMac all sync together without effort and all work together to create a sort of in-home personal ecosystem.....

I'd love to try Android - hopefully Google gets the N4 in stock soon and I can go after that....pair it with my work provided Dell and be off since I separate my work stuff from personal.

I just really like Apple too - I know that sounds nuts to ya'll. If I can handle the best of both worlds, that's my ideal.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

I'm guessing the AU in your name stands for Australia? That certainly sounds like our situation regarding LTE. I generally have great LTE reception at work, then in a few areas near my house (the gym, a few beaches I frequent) I get decent LTE reception and then further towards my house there's none at all. I agree with not really caring either way about it, there's barely LTE infrastructure here, Apple's lag in introducing it was fine by me, I'm glad they waited for more power efficient LTE tech. In the same vein I'd also be fine with owning a Nexus 4 as I don't regard the lack of LTE as a dealbreaker.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Until you have it, it is difficult to see just how useful a notification light is. This is possibly the thing I'll find most difficult to be without if/when I go back to the iPhone.

^^^^this
You really don't realise how useful this is until you have it. Can the iphone display different colours for different notifications? I don't see how the iphone led compares really.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
^^^^this
You really don't realise how useful this is until you have it. Can the iphone display different colours for different notifications? I don't see how the iphone led compares really.

Does the S3's notification light display different colours? Mine is just blue and I can't find a setting to adjust it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Certain Apple fans won't know how useful a notification light is until Apple does it. Until then, you can count on those same certain Apple fans to continue downplaying the usefulness of a feature they've likely never experienced.

And if the iPhone was first to do it before Android, ho boy, we'd be hearing a different tune regarding its usefulness, I'm sure.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Its not just about the money/time invested - its about how my iPhone, iPads, AppleTVs and iMac all sync together without effort and all work together to create a sort of in-home personal ecosystem.....

I'd love to try Android - hopefully Google gets the N4 in stock soon and I can go after that....pair it with my work provided Dell and be off since I separate my work stuff from personal.

I just really like Apple too - I know that sounds nuts to ya'll. If I can handle the best of both worlds, that's my ideal.

I love Apple, I still have a MBP, TV and iPad Mini and 2 iPod classics, when I moved from a iPhone to a SGS3, I was the same as you, but then I thought, does it really matter that my phone talks to the rest of my gadgets? What benefit would I be losing? I soon came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be sacrificing very much at all. I Googled how to transfer my contacts and calendar from my MBP to my my Google account and found it to be very easy (even for someone as technically challenged as me, I'm a grandfather after all)

From what I can see I am one of the few that likes iTunes, I'm comfortable using it and quite willingly pay the small charge yearly for the iCloud, I find Google music just as easy and free, granted, I still use a iPod classic for my music in my car, I can nearly get my whole collection on 160gb. For streaming music on my phone when needed I find that Google music is brilliant, takes an absolute age to upload though, but now it's done it's really good.

I'm not a gamer so didn't have a great deal of money invested in apps, the main one's I use are in the Play Store and work as well as those from the apple app store, once I found out how to sync iPassword Pro through Dropbox using my MBP and SGS3/Nexus 4 the transition was complete.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Does the S3's notification light display different colours? Mine is just blue and I can't find a setting to adjust it.

Yes it displays different colours and it's usually up to the app to stipulate what colour it will be. For example on mine yahoo mail is red, handcent sms is green and WhatsApp is white. There are also apps you can get which allow you to change the colour to whatever you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.