Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012

You can lie flat on your back with a netbook, put it on your belly and put the screen up so you can read with just a pillow to angle your your head a bit.

I have netbook and iPad. It is more comfortable to use netbook for bedtime web browsing.

Holding the netbook clamshell with its edge standing on my chest (or belly) is effortless, and I don't need to bend my neck forward to see the LCD screen because it is up high.

I cannot do the same thing with iPad but have to hold it up in the air, my hand is tired.

Renzatic

Suspended
Do you people sleep on boards without anything to rest your head on? I just grab a couple pillows, prop my head up, and set my iPad down below my chest. It's like reading a book.

Granted, if I wanted to type something longwinded up, I'd rather have a netbook. But for browsing the internet or reading, I think I'd prefer the iPad.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I just don't understand why there's so many Microsoft & android trolls on this site. I've been to android forums & I don't see any apple trolls...I don't mean to sound like a fanboy but...we are not like these idiots. Lol...don't feed the animals. Just leave them alone.

If you've ever lived in the south you'd know pests are drawn to the light.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Do you people sleep on boards without anything to rest your head on? I just grab a couple pillows, prop my head up, and set my iPad down below my chest. It's like reading a book.

I tried your method, but my neck hurts.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
and_it_s_gone_by_celeith-d5div3y.jpg

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I don't think the MacBook Air had much to do with the death of the netbook, as a MBA goes for 1000+ and most netbooks went from 200-300 dollars. Sometimes 400 for a higher speced one. Someone buying a netbook wouldn't have been interested in paying for an MBA.

The Netbook was just a fad. Nothing more, it would have faded out with or without the ipad and MBA. Replaced by cheap Laptops and small tablets, Ipad or not.

The Chromebooks will take the place of the Netbook, I know older folks and basic users who love netbooks, Chrome books will be fine for them.

I have a couple of Netbooks, they make great portable machines for when I go overseas, the one I use the most is a Dual Core Atom with 2GB of Ram and a 500gb HDD, 10 inch screen, blah blah blah.

I love taking it with me when I travel overseas, its more durable than an iPad or other tablet, more versatile, really good battery life, and comfy to use. I'll be a little saddened to see Netbooks go, but something else will take their place. I love the form factor.

Fad, but a cool fad. The netbook was the precursor to the cheap laptop and ultra brook.

----------

The MacBook Air was around YEARS before the Ultrabook was even a thought. I don't consider the MBA an Ultrabook at all, it's in its own category.

How is it in its own category? Its just a thin laptop, like an " ultra book " the term " ultra book " doesn't mean anything, its just a thin and light laptop.

Has anyone ever here actually used an 1st generation MBA? It was a real turd.

Sony also had the first " ultra brook ", not Apple.

Netbooks were also a damn good value for money, they make awesome light portable Windows or Linux machines. Now, the only tiny computers will be tablets and Chromebooks, neither of which are as versatile.

Call me nuts, but for the inner nerd in me, Netbooks make awesome portables, I might have to stock up on them.

Last edited:

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
OH NO!!! NETBOOKS ARE DEAD!!! WHO WILL SAVE US FROM CRAPPLE, THE EVIL CORPORATION THAT FORCES ALL OF US TO BUY IPADS AND MACBOOKS!?!?!?!

There. Is that better?

Seriously, this is a forum about Apple and their products. If being around people who bring up what Steve Jobs correctly said about netbooks bothers you, you might consider one of the billions of websites that aren't dedicated to Apple.

I cannot agree more !!!:D

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I don't think it was Apple who killed off the Netbook, I believe it was Microsoft... remember the first wave of Netbook's that ran Linux and were.. actually okay they weren't that slow but still cramped and were very easy to cart along.

Microsoft didn't like that Linux finally had a segway into popular distribution and forced most OEM's to go with XP / Windows 7 Basic on Netbooks... thats when it became slow and unmanageable.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
As far as I can see, Macbook Air display is crappy by itself. Definitely only on par with the old iPod Touch and low quality compared with MBP, even further difference with iPhone, iPad, and iMac/Thunderbolt Display.
For a $1000 computer, I certainly wish for more.

Like it or not, MBA is the iNetBook.

I dont even need to comment on this to make it look bad.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I still use my first generation MSI Wind clone actually. As a doorstop anyway. (Anyone remember the PC world Advent units?!)

But no I will mourn the death of the Netbook a bit. Mine did serve me faithfully along with my mobile printer (an ip90 with battery pack!). It was great as I could not afford anything else as a startup without an office and there is no way I'd have got 4-5 hours out of a cheapo laptop. I don't feel Tablets really take the place of netbooks myself yet and cheap Laptops don't either, I am just glad I wont need something in the price bracket anymore. I never had any performance issues on mine but thats because all I ran was my high quality invoices app cobbled together in Access

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
See, that's the thing. Apple wasn't anywhere near the first to invent the modern "ultrabook", but I will say they arguably set the modern standard with the MBA.

The biggest problem I have with some commenters is that they'll call anything that looks even remotely like an Apple product a cheap knockoff regardless of what it adds or refines to their original design. For them, Apple making an inspirational product isn't kosher because, apparently, inspiration isn't allowed. No one can "copy" anything they've done, regardless of how much Apple copied themselves in order to create their revolutionary, industry redefining blah blah blah ect. ect.

Basically, I think the "X copied" argument is the lamest, stupidest, and most short sighted argument anyone can come up with around here. It's the one thing I'll rally against without fail whenever it comes up.

Yeah sure NOBODY copied Apple you guys hear?

Gimme a break. The wedge shape, the aluminium shell case, the big single track pad (for Windows :rolleyes:), the island keyboards (yes I know Sony made it first but you didnt see PC makers made them until Apple's macbooks got popular).

And these people call themselves neutral. :eek:

----------

I don't think the MacBook Air had much to do with the death of the netbook, as a MBA goes for 1000+ and most netbooks went from 200-300 dollars. Sometimes 400 for a higher speced one. Someone buying a netbook wouldn't have been interested in paying for an MBA.

The Netbook was just a fad. Nothing more, it would have faded out with or without the ipad and MBA. Replaced by cheap Laptops and small tablets, Ipad or not.

The Chromebooks will take the place of the Netbook, I know older folks and basic users who love netbooks, Chrome books will be fine for them.

I have a couple of Netbooks, they make great portable machines for when I go overseas, the one I use the most is a Dual Core Atom with 2GB of Ram and a 500gb HDD, 10 inch screen, blah blah blah.

I love taking it with me when I travel overseas, its more durable than an iPad or other tablet, more versatile, really good battery life, and comfy to use. I'll be a little saddened to see Netbooks go, but something else will take their place. I love the form factor.

Fad, but a cool fad. The netbook was the precursor to the cheap laptop and ultra brook.

----------

How is it in its own category? Its just a thin laptop, like an " ultra book " the term " ultra book " doesn't mean anything, its just a thin and light laptop.

Has anyone ever here actually used an 1st generation MBA? It was a real turd.

Sony also had the first " ultra brook ", not Apple.

Netbooks were also a damn good value for money, they make awesome light portable Windows or Linux machines. Now, the only tiny computers will be tablets and Chromebooks, neither of which are as versatile.

Call me nuts, but for the inner nerd in me, Netbooks make awesome portables, I might have to stock up on them.

I'm sorry but Chromebook is not even an option for any NORMAL RATIONAL consumer. Who wants to pay about $300 for a so-called laptop that only works when there's wifi? Better buy an Android tablet.

And to justify your love for netbooks with your so-called inner nerd is kinda funny. So as a nerd you should like a limited weak laggy PC laptop that's thick and chunky? Cool.

And the Macbook air was around BEFORE Intel pushed out their ultra book, and all of a sudden Macbook air has to be categorized as one of them?

----------

That's beause you think everyone who doesn't love Apple is an Android/Microsoft fanboy. The fact is there are tons of "neutral" people on here too.

And by neutral people you mean people who always end their statements with
a) Samsung/ Google is better than Apple
b) Android is better than iOS
c) Apple is an evil corporation

Neutrality defined.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I'm sorry but Chromebook is not even an option for any NORMAL RATIONAL consumer. Who wants to pay about $300 for a so-called laptop that only works when there's wifi? Better buy an Android tablet.
People who use them to communicate while traveling. WiFi is at pretty much every airport and coffee shop now, so it's not as big a problem as you make it out to be. If you were right, nobody would buy a WiFi only iPad.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
People who use them to communicate while traveling. WiFi is at pretty much every airport and coffee shop now, so it's not as big a problem as you make it out to be. If you were right, nobody would buy a WiFi only iPad.

Im sorry but isnt that most people who buy a Wifi only mostly download stuff in their ipad and consume the content on the go, whereas Google pushes Chrome OS as a replacement of PC, hence w a focus on productivity and they push cloud storage on Chromebooks. I'm not sure what developed world you're living in a far away land called Sydney in Australia wifi is not THAT readily available.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah sure NOBODY copied Apple you guys hear?

Gimme a break. The wedge shape, the aluminium shell case, the big single track pad (for Windows :rolleyes:), the island keyboards (yes I know Sony made it first but you didnt see PC makers made them until Apple's macbooks got popular).

And these people call themselves neutral. :eek:

So PC manufacturers didn't have island keyboards until they copied Apple's island keyboard design which they copied from a PC manufacturer? Makes perfect sense.

Wedge shape? While I'll admit there are a few ultrabooks out there that look a lot like the MBA, Apple wasn't the first to produce a thin wedge shaped laptop. Once again, that honor goes to Sony and the X505...

vaio-x505-i1.gif

I know. I know. The keyboard is shifted down, and it doesn't look annnnyyyttthiinnnggg like an MBA. Only an idiot would think that piece of crap inspired Apple and blah blah blah, right?

This, on the other hand?

_OVR_440x330.png

Total Macbook Air ripoff, huh? How could anyone say otherwise? It's a thin PC! Those didn't exist until Apple made one!

Big trackpads? I'll give you that. I still have yet to see a PC manufacturer make one that's good as what you get on the Macbooks.

Listen. Everyone copies. Everyone. Including Apple. It's the way the industry works. For awhile there, Sony made the most interesting laptops around. Everyone aped a little bit from their designs. You can easily see the genesis of the modern Macbook by looking at the earlier rev of Vaios.

So why aren't you saying Apple copied Sony? Why do you claim they're the only "innovators" in the industry when anyone with just even a modicum of knowledge about the computer industry knows that they've been inspired as much as they're currently inspiring.

But no. You want to scream "copy copy copy" because...hell, I dunno. It's a waste of time to me. Ignorant, too.

----------

I tried your method, but my neck hurts.

I should've worded that better. Move up a little bit so more of your back is resting against the pillow.

Comeon, we've all read books in bed before. The iPad's just like that.

Though I use my 2011 Mini most of the time, along with an older iMac & iBook, FWIW, I also have a cheap Asus netbook running W7. The Asus is connected to a bigger monitor, with separate full-sized keyboard & mouse, mostly to access flash-dominated financial sites & for streaming live financial data.

So you could argue that it's more useful to me as a cheap desktop than a portable, though it does the job as a portable also & if stolen would cause me little grief as it was so cheap..

Here's the thing: though the Asus netbook was cheap, it generally runs cooler than my Mini accessing the same flash-based sites.

I like my Macs & I'll always use them, but for the money, I also wouldn't knock the Asus netbook one iota & would certainly buy another one in future.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
OH NO!!! NETBOOKS ARE DEAD!!! WHO WILL SAVE US FROM CRAPPLE, THE EVIL CORPORATION THAT FORCES ALL OF US TO BUY IPADS AND MACBOOKS!?!?!?!

There. Is that better?

Seriously, this is a forum about Apple and their products. If being around people who bring up what Steve Jobs correctly said about netbooks bothers you, you might consider one of the billions of websites that aren't dedicated to Apple.

1. You don't have to shout.
2. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
3. Do you really believe I joined this forum almost 6 years ago to troll now? I know this is an Apple related website but also heavily populated with people that tolerate absolutely no critique toward Apple whatsoever. That tends to make it a bit, well, 1984.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
I hope Apple will keep on doing the right thing, visionary wise.
This is what will make the company fall or rise.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Main reasons are of course affordable more powerfull and just as light/small ultrabooks coupled with the phablets smartphones and tablets.

With the Windows 8 tablets out I doubt any netbook wel have any succes. You can get a just as good just as cheap touchscreen tablet .

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

A wifi only ipad can still be used to run games, read pdfs and watch preloaded movies, as well as run a variety of apps. I suppose if you are fairly sure that the place you will be in has ready Internet access, a chromebook will be fine. But that notion is a joke in my country, so I personally wouldn't consider one even if my life depended on it.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
So PC manufacturers didn't have island keyboards until they copied Apple's island keyboard design which they copied from a PC manufacturer? Makes perfect sense.

Wedge shape? While I'll admit there are a few ultrabooks out there that look a lot like the MBA, Apple wasn't the first to produce a thin wedge shaped laptop. Once again, that honor goes to Sony and the X505...

I know. I know. The keyboard is shifted down, and it doesn't look annnnyyyttthiinnnggg like an MBA. Only an idiot would think that piece of crap inspired Apple and blah blah blah, right?

This, on the other hand?

Total Macbook Air ripoff, huh? How could anyone say otherwise? It's a thin PC! Those didn't exist until Apple made one!

Big trackpads? I'll give you that. I still have yet to see a PC manufacturer make one that's good as what you get on the Macbooks.

Listen. Everyone copies. Everyone. Including Apple. It's the way the industry works. For awhile there, Sony made the most interesting laptops around. Everyone aped a little bit from their designs. You can easily see the genesis of the modern Macbook by looking at the earlier rev of Vaios.

So why aren't you saying Apple copied Sony? Why do you claim they're the only "innovators" in the industry when anyone with just even a modicum of knowledge about the computer industry knows that they've been inspired as much as they're currently inspiring.

But no. You want to scream "copy copy copy" because...hell, I dunno. It's a waste of time to me. Ignorant, too.

----------

I should've worded that better. Move up a little bit so more of your back is resting against the pillow.

Comeon, we've all read books in bed before. The iPad's just like that.

Say what you want. I just didn't see PC makers make Sony-inspired laptops when Sony was the cool brand but they sure as hell made Apple-inspired laptops since 2011 when the macbook pros got great reviews for their designs.

And calling people ignorant if they disagree w you, sounds familiar to me who used to frequent Android forums. :rolleyes:

Renzatic

Suspended
Say what you want. I just didn't see PC makers make Sony-inspired laptops when Sony was the cool brand but they sure as hell made Apple-inspired laptops since 2011 when the macbook pros got great reviews for their designs.

What can I say? Selective memory on your part? I dunno.

And calling people ignorant if they disagree w you, sounds familiar to me who used to frequent Android forums. :rolleyes:

Hey, Pot! How you doing?

Oh, you know, Kettle. Just sitting here, maxin' and relaxin'.

Hey, has anyone ever told you how incredibly black you are, Kettle?

...er, so are you, Pot.

SHUT UP FANDROID! GET OFF MY FORUM!

Last edited:

Stelph

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Interesting, I guess it depends on what you mean by Netbook?

If by netbook you mean a small and inexpensive laptop thats powered by an Atom Processor then they havent died/gone away, theyve evolved into the Windows 8 touchscreen friendly tablets.

For example the Asus Vivo tab or the Acer W510

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model/NT.L0MEK.002

(Acer W510 is 499 euros including the keyboard dock)

It seems like these markets are as strong as ever and, to me, look to fill an important gap of people wanting a touchscreen tablet that allows you to do more than the current range of iSO/Android tablets

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.