Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
With Apple's huge source of iTunes-purchase information, it should be able to predict the songs you will like quite well to boot.

Yes, and it would work in iTunes. Seems like a perfect fit.

----------

Meanwhile in other news, Carriers still have data caps and frown on streaming.

:rolleyes:

In other news, home Internet access is still a constant cost.

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
one more ping!
lately Apple is surrounded by flops and mistakes.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I don't get it, plays the wrong song how? It's not a streaming service

Go to music app...go,thru and pick albums and if there isn't a cloud next to the song it's on the device. If is a cloud is next to it just hit download all....not sure why its so difficult?

iTunes Match plays mismatched songs all the time on my iPhone. "Clean," radio-edit versions, or on occasion, just straight up cuts to the next track mid-song. Sometimes it won't download a song when I press the cloud icon over and over, retry, retry, retry. It's horrible.

But yes... it SHOULDN'T be so difficult. Google's version works flawlessly. If you aren't having problems, consider yourself lucky, mang.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
one more ping!
lately Apple is surrounded by flops and mistakes.

You must be trolling. A functionality comparable with Spotify or Pandora that would enable people to listen to the complete iTunes library for a small fee would make many people delete Spotify and Pandora from their harddrives.

Why? There are several reasons but this one stands out in my opinion:

Both Spotify and Pandora have vast libraries, but they are dwarved by the iTunes library. Many artists are not available on these platforms or just a small part of their catalogue (often just the past decade). In addition much of the content on Spotify is from copycats. Just try looking for Skyfall from Adele, and see what you come up with.

The iTunes library is much better managed from a content point of view. I'm predicting that as soon as Apple will enable this feature that both Spotify and Pandora will see a major part of their mac user base cancel their accounts.

edit: I just looked up Toto on Spotify and on their official artist page the back catalogue shows a mix of their own records and a number of zouk and zumba fitness music albums from some band that's called Toto also..

Last edited:

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
In all honesty I don't see this being anything more then one more streaming service. Why would it be any better then Pandora? Even more so you now have tons of advanced subscription streaming services available including Spotify, MOG, Rdio, Sony's Music Unlimited etc. All of these have over 15 million songs and numbers are just growing. What makes these services hard for Apple to compete with is their cross platform operation. Spotify is available for almost every imaginable platform so you can enjoy your music everywhere. The rest of the providers are also following the trend to be extremely cross platform. I can't imagine Apple doing the same. Then again this might be Apple's push to have their iTunes like presence in every device imaginable.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
In all honesty I don't see this being anything more then one more streaming service. Why would it be any better then Pandora? Even more so you now have tons of advanced subscription streaming services available including Spotify, MOG, Rdio, Sony's Music Unlimited etc. All of these have over 15 million songs and numbers are just growing. What makes these services hard for Apple to compete with is their cross platform operation. Spotify is available for almost every imaginable platform so you can enjoy your music everywhere. The rest of the providers are also following the trend to be extremely cross platform. I can't imagine Apple doing the same. Then again this might be Apple's push to have their iTunes like presence in every device imaginable.

1. iTunes has a superior managed music database with more content than the streaming services
2. Better integration with personally owned iTunes content

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I think the big difference here between Pandora and Spotify is that it opens up that type of streaming service to Apple's walled garden.

So if you are able to create "stations" based on your music/taste and listen to the entire the entire iTunes offering, and have the ability to one click buy a song you've never heard before then you can listen to it on demand like the rest of your library. So now it's part of your collection and that's pretty powerful for the user and great for the artists.

It's just a great way to discover and own music.

I've heard songs countless times on Pandora/Spotify that I then search out on iTunes and purchase. This would just integrate the process.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If an artist isn't part of something like Spotify would they be part of Apple's service? I've heard of artists (like Adele) who don't like Spotify holding their music back for a while (at least new music) or not allowing it on at all.

kingledley

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Should complement the iTunes store well. I prefer to own music, but a radio service like Pandora or Last.fm, which plays stuff I might like could lead me to pay for more downloads from the store.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have to admit, I have fired up iTunes (on devices or desktop) maybe twice in the last year and a half. I've been using Spotify almost exclusively, and have saved so much money paying only $9 a month instead of $50-60 a month on buying albums.

If I can't make play lists and listen to songs I want to listen to without having just general radio stations... not interested.

could not agree more. I don't see why more people don't just to that....$9 a month and you listen to what you want all you want. With that said, I only listen to music when in my car (which came with satellite radio) so it is basically the same thing as using the free side to pandora/spotify

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

----------

Imagine I can do that already. And it's not limited to just iTunes.

Uh, seems you missed the core quote: "Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs." The whole point is to NOT limit to what you own (however loosely defined), but to rent general access to large libraries. It would be integrated into iTunes, alongside whatever you own.

I think you're right in this model.

I see this as a nice 'add on' to iTunes. But it's not a game changer or anything "amazing"

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
1. iTunes has a superior managed music database with more content than the streaming services
2. Better integration with personally owned iTunes content

1. It's one thing to have content for sale and another to have ability to stream that content as free or premium "radio station". Royalty payments on streaming stations are next to nothing so labels see only low margins compared to album sales.

2. It's true that Apple steaming service would probably have superior integration with iTunes but at the same time zero integration with everything else. Services like Spotify integrates with everything from your trusty old Mac to smart TV's, hell those guys seem to be pushing that service everywhere.

Regarding integration from device standpoint, Sonos is great example of excellent integration offering incredible variety of subscription and non-subscription based content from different providers.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Another attempt at a service from Apple? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't touch that with a 100ft. pole! ;)

Whoever is in charge of the Apple services needs to go back to school.
They have plenty of disasters to learn from.

After using Apple products and services since 1984, usually when I am not interested in a service it goes bust or needs to be made workable.

(Ping, mobile me,itunes match (no interest for me), and dropbox wins over iCloud. Don't see iRadio beating Pandora.

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
... trying to be like Pandora when Spotify has already made something better. Get with it, Apple.

----------

Is iTunes a big money maker now anyways? I always was under the assumption that it was just a tool to tie in an ecosystem for hardware sales.

----------

I think a Pandora service would be a major coup for Apple. In my friend group (18-25) almost no one buys music from iTunes anymore. People use Spotify on their computers but I don't know anyone that actually pays for it. Then on the go everyone uses Pandora on their iPhone or Android. Could be huge for Apple if they do it right.

I pay for it. It's worth it.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
This will be awesome if songs can be downloaded and played offline (similar to Microsoft). Data caps and dead cell areas make streaming less attractive. It would be great if you can build a catalog of music on the device that can be used for offline.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Well. What's the point in Pandora ? It appears to be a popular program.

Apple wants to do the same thing using its huge music ecosystem .

Try the analyst think Apple wants, or should want, this. There's no proof anything is happening at all, is or was ever intended.

This is up there with the whole 'two iPads released in the same year' which was said over and over and eventually came true. So why not keep saying this one and the TV set one and 'of course' the same thing will happen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.