Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
I think this sums it up pretty well...

386581_10151209563483597_624805115_n.jpg

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Don't worry about it. Apple aren't your friend, they're a multinational company.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
What rip off? That is like saying you walked into Home Depot and Lowes and were shocked they both sold lightbulbs and lumber. What did you expect the Microsoft store to sell, dolls??? Other than that your pictures to me show two very different looking stores. Um failed post IMHO.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
What rip off? That is like saying you walked into Home Depot and Lowes and were shocked they both sold lightbulbs and lumber. What did you expect the Microsoft store to sell, dolls??? Other than that your pictures to me show two very different looking stores. Um failed post IMHO.

LOL, way to miss the point.

It's actually exactly the OPPOSITE from what you describe.

it LOOKS the same, but you can't BUY the same products.

-t

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
LOL, way to miss the point.

It's actually exactly the OPPOSITE from what you describe.

it LOOKS the same, but you can't BUY the same products.

-t

Huh? Doesn't look the same to me and of course you can't get the same products. Guess I am not getting the joke.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The OP did NOT refer to the products being the same, as you did in your Home Improvement Store analogy. :)

Of course, it's subjective if the MS Store and Apple Store really look the same.
I bet if you asked 100 people, 95 would state that they looked "the same", whatever that means to them.

-t

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
Only difference is that Apple is almost always packed and Microsoft is nearly empty. The Westfield Mall near me has an Apple Store and Microsoft Store literally across from each other. Never once have I seen the Microsoft store have more people shopping inside.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Only difference is that Apple is almost always packed and Microsoft is nearly empty. The Westfield Mall near me has an Apple Store and Microsoft Store literally across from each other. Never once have I seen the Microsoft store have more people shopping inside.

First of all Microsoft stores are fairly new and secondly there are thousands of other retail establishments that sell Windows computers. It's really not that surprising the their stores aren't as packed as Apple's.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
First of all Microsoft stores are fairly new and secondly there are thousands of other retail establishments that sell Windows computers. It's really not that surprising the their stores aren't as packed as Apple's.

First of all, yeah, I know. Just making an observation.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Sam's Club and Costco look awfully similar too... large warehouse like buildings, warehouse style shelving, mercury vapor lamps in the ceiling...

Anyway, I dropped by my first Microsoft Store last week in the Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. I agree there is a similarity, but then again, half the shops in the mall look the same. Replace those laptops and iPads with leather purses...

I was actually quite impressed by my first interaction with the Surface tablet. I liked it way better than the Android tablets I've tried. Seems more intuitive to me too.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
First of all, yeah, I know. Just making an observation.

I understand that but your observation is flawed. The stores look similar but not the same. There aren't that many different ways to showcase computers and other electronics. By your logic Macy's, Sachs, Sears and Lord and Taylor all look the same.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I think this sums it up pretty well...

P1010460.jpg

Bose-store-qatarisbooming.com-640x480.jpg

OH NOES BOSE IS COPYING.

Wait, Bose has been building stores like that since the 90s ;) Oh wait.....I think thats how ALL stores work, tables and racks with items for sale on th em.

Really, this is silly. Is Target copying Wal Mart because they have a large building with items inside?

----------

I understand that but your observation is flawed. The stores look similar but not the same. There aren't that many different ways to showcase computers and other electronics. By your logic Macy's, Sachs, Sears and Lord and Taylor all look the same.

Well, all those retailers copy Apple by offering items for sale on racks and tables........dirty filthy copiers....

Last edited by a moderator:

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Glass, wooden tables, computers? Yup, definite ripoff :rolleyes:

Did computer stores look anything like the Apple store before it debuted?

I distinctly remember them looking like CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, or best of all, Radio Shack.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

I distinctly remember them looking like CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, or best of all, Radio Shack.

And how do they look any different? Tables and racks with items to try out.

And, if you mean the way an Apple Store " looks " , they ripped that from Bose. Who ripped it from...stores.....wait.....

Yeah, An Apple store doesn't really look like any other store besides being made of glass. Which makes stealing things easy

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
And how do they look any different? Tables and racks with items to try out.

And, if you mean the way an Apple Store " looks " , they ripped that from Bose. Who ripped it from...stores.....wait.....

Yeah, An Apple store doesn't really look like any other store besides being made of glass. Which makes stealing things easy

You're being obtuse to prove a point.

Come up with a better reply when you're not just trying to be argumentative.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
You're being obtuse to prove a point.

Come up with a better reply when you're not just trying to be argumentative.

Yeah, the point being is that Apple stores are neither original or unique as far as retail stores goes, expect they're made of glass. And to think Microsoft " Rips off " a basic retail model. Is silly, using this logic. Apple ripped off Bose?

And yes, whats the difference between an Apple Store or a small computer shop? Or even a best buy, I'm not seeing the difference.

Best-Buy-Computers-02.png

Big line of computers that you can try out.

27in_iMac.jpg

Computers to try on Wooden tables instead of Metal shelfs, wooo!

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Most electronics stores have traditionally been rather plain, to suggest they aren't spending money on frills and passing the savings on to you.

Apple stores were designed to look more high end, selling a luxury product.

Neither concept is new, unique or original. They go back decades, although concepts of what looks stripped down and what looks high end change over time.

Many of those stripped-down electronics stores have gone bankrupt, while Apple stores have set retailing sales/square foot records.

So if you're Microsoft or Samsung, are you going to emulate the retail formula that leads to success or the one that leads to failure?

Now if someone has an idea of how to look high end without looking like other high end stores, stop wasting your time posting here, go out and become a millionaire designer.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

Your talking about super stores that not only carried computers but thousands of other products. But if you want to discuss small electronics and/or computer stores, then yes, there were stores that looked like Apple stores do now. I've been to quite a few small type stores over the years, usually in upper middle class retail areas where products were displayed in the same way as Apple. Light colored wooden or glass tables. Trust me its not unique. You can go into Manhatten and finds hundreds if not thousands of similar looking stores. Visit any art gallery in Soho and you'll see the similarity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.