Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
I need to open a CSV file in OS 10.4 and cannot find an application which will display the data in a legible format. CSV is now one of (or perhaps THE) most common database formats out there, so I am not sure why this is so difficult.

Any suggestions? :confused:

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
By what do you mean legible?

TextEdit or TextWrangler will open it fine.

Microsoft Excel will open it as a spreadsheet.

What are you looking to do with it? :confused:

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
kingjr3 said:
By what do you mean legible?

TextEdit or TextWrangler will open it fine.

Microsoft Excel will open it as a spreadsheet.

What are you looking to do with it? :confused:

Well, I work as a Web designer / developer and I am maintaining a store for a client. We have a major product update, and they sent me all the new data as a CSV file. This would be fine if we were using a database, but we are not; I am doing everything by hand. I need to see each product and associated info (price, number, etc.) separated by line breaks, not commas.

Thanks for the help.
:)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I thought about this for a minute....

Would it work to take the CSV file, open it up even though it has all the commas, and just do a "Find and Replace" with returns in place of commas? Would that solve the problem?

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
tobefirst said:
I thought about this for a minute....

Would it work to take the CSV file, open it up even though it has all the commas, and just do a "Find and Replace" with returns in place of commas? Would that solve the problem?

This is a good idea; I thought about this myself. I'll give it a try.

Ideally, I think I will need to have the client get me the data in some other format than CSV (e.g. Excel). If I am not mistaken, CSV is really meant to be plugged into a database, right?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
alexf said:
Ideally, I think I will need to have the client get me the data in some other format than CSV (e.g. Excel). If I am not mistaken, CSV is really meant to be plugged into a database, right?

Wait... if you're comfortable with an excel file, why don't you open the CSV in Excel? Excel will handle this format very easily. I think CSVs are commonly used to interchange information both in databasing and spreadsheeting... usually they work for sort of two-dimensional records. So it isn't really a "database" format, at least not in the relational or object-oriented database sense.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
mkrishnan said:
Wait... if you're comfortable with an excel file, why don't you open the CSV in Excel? Excel will handle this format very easily. I think CSVs are commonly used to interchange information both in databasing and spreadsheeting... usually they work for sort of two-dimensional records. So it isn't really a "database" format, at least not in the relational or object-oriented database sense.

No, Excel will not open the file...
:confused:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
alexf said:
No, Excel will not open the file...
Then it isn't a csv file like any I've run into it.

I thought your problem might have been with the line endings in the file, so I created a test csv file and tried changing the line endings to Unix style, Macintosh style, and PC style. Excel 2004 had no trouble with any of them.

Instead of dragging it into Excel, try this: launch Excel, select File->Open, set "Enable" to "All Documents" (not just "All Readable Documents"), navigate to your csv file, and select it. Does it open? Is it parsed into separate columns?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
.CSV files

Excel - File: Open -- issue is that Excel will truncate long fields to 255 characters and will evaluate some text fields as numerals or calculations, possible example would be a phone number.

Filemaker Pro - File: Open (creates a new DB) or File: Import into an existing DB

BBEdit - File: Open. Yes you can search and replace, but be WERRY CAREFUL not to accidentally remove even one comma or paragraph mark, because the wheels will fall off...

Alfonso G

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I need to open a CSV file in OS 10.4 and cannot find an application which will display the data in a legible format. CSV is now one of (or perhaps THE) most common database formats out there, so I am not sure why this is so difficult.

Any suggestions? :confused:

It's actually very easy. It has nothing to do with MAC, but with not knowing enough about Excel:

You go to Excel. And select "Import". It will allow you to properly open the CSV file separating the information in different columns.

Easy peasy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.