Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
Have you got a smart cover? I get lighter lines down the screen where the folds sit on mine so it looks like there are dark patches down the middle where the two center panels of the cover sit... give your screen a good clean and they should go away for a while.

...actually, yeah. And the two lines just about match up with where the left and right folds sit.

It's not an incredibly big deal since I can only see them underneath an extremely bright light while the screen is off, but it did make me curious.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol....

Why is my Uncle featured in this article..

...... yes.... and Apple will also charge extra for this too :)

We rely on stuff to protect us.... and even *buy* it.... with the mind set of "Yes... now i can constantly drop my i.device" :p..

What ever happened to common sense now days.

Last edited:

tumtumtum

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Apple uses Gorilla Glass? I swear Apple devices scratch like butter compared to Android and Windows Phone devices.

Apple were the first devices to use Gorilla glass. They were responsible for discovering it could be used with consumer electronics.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple uses Gorilla Glass? I swear Apple devices scratch like butter compared to Android and Windows Phone devices.

Yep.. Really ? oh dear..... What you may not know though is Android phone use Gorilla Glass too.... Most smart-phones do.... How do you explain this?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The big question. Can the screen be scratch resistant and shatter resistant at the same time?

Renzatic

Suspended
The big question. Can the screen be scratch resistant and shatter resistant at the same time?

No matter how strong or scratch resistant someone makes it, glass is always going to be glass. It's gonna shatter if it slams into something with a moderate amount of force.

Best anyone can do is make it so it can take just a little more punishment before it breaks on you.

Last edited:

martygras9

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
That's the most smug looking gorilla I've ever seen in my entire life.

Yeah, you just think you're cool, gorilla.

I checked the comments simply to see what people had to say about the gorilla. You, sir, have made my Friday.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
I want to know where on earth I can find such well-groomed and stylish gorillas

Unknown.jpeg

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
All this glass is supposed to be so strong but none of it can withstand a simple 3ft drop. Gorilla glass, smorilla glass..

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
More scratch resistant they say? Yeah, I've heard that TONS of times. My favourite is when you hear that phrase used with DVDs and Blu-Discs.

BS.

Apple makes that same claim with EVERY product. The results? You still get scratches.

Suckers might buy the "scratch resistant" BS, and though it may be true technically, it's still not enough to stop the people "who just know (from experience) from purchasing 3rd party screen protection.

The good news is, you're a sucker only once. Or at least I was.

----------

I posted my past prior post without reading your response here. I can understand those concerns, but I submit that the down vote system could have been fixed with a few protocols..

Let down voting be "earned" via a formula of number of helpful posts, level of participation, and/or other factors. Also, your old system allowed competing up and down votes to cancel out each other. It would have been better with a system that showed the total number of up AND down votes.

Anyone abusing the down vote could have the privilege revoked. People don't always have time to civilly offer detailed comments in rebuttal. Sometimes the comments are so absurd they don't rate a detailed explanation, the down vote stands on its own.

I think there's something to be said for having a preponderance of reader opinion. The current "up only" option is less than ideal.

Peace

The changes were made ages ago. Ok.. about a year ago I think.

Get over it. It gets easier if you just accept it.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
This is good news if Apple starts using this in ALL of their devices. Gorilla Glass is amazing stuff!

It is called a Microsoft Surface, and not it isn't. Why are you LOLing? Have you even used one?

Apple already does...

And yes. It's terrible.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Not only does every iOS device use it, Gorilla Glass on portable devices basically exists because of Steve Jobs going to Corning and asking them to develop glass for the original iPhone.

There is only evidence to support Iphone 1 using Gorilla Glass. That's all Steve's comments indicated.

Please show me where Apple or Corning has said otherwise.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
There is only evidence to support Iphone 1 using Gorilla Glass. That's all Steve's comments indicated.

Please show me where Apple or Corning has said otherwise.

I'm sorry, wait. So Apple, who instigated the resurrection of Gorilla Glass, pioneered the use of it in mobile devices, is the reason other phones use it, and who publicly claims to get their glass from corning–*is NOT using gorilla glass?

I don't think so zipzap.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Cool beans. I believe my Bravia TV has Corning glass too - though I've no idea why. Have you ever smashed a TV and not been a rock star? 'zactly.

----------

More scratch resistant they say? Yeah, I've heard that TONS of times. My favourite is when you hear that phrase used with DVDs and Blu-Discs.

BS.

Bluray discs are more resistant than DVDs (or at least standard DVDs, I know that Disney have scratch-resistant coatings on their DVDs). For the most part it works too, I've never seen a scratched bluray, even in second hand shops.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI

I call bs. The screen on the iPhone is VERY difficult to scratch. I have never used a screen protector and my iPhone 4S still doesn't have scratch on the glass, after of a year of heavy use.

derondantzler

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
With each iteration of 50% stronger, moving towards a glass so strong that it simply cannot break, there is a diminishing tangible result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.