Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has received from apple any courtesy offer of freebies for Late deliveries or orders that they messed up on? I know a few people had orders unexpectedly cancelled or miss delivery dates by a substantial amount. Just wondering if they offered you anything, what did you get?

Thanks

EDIT:
Just to update they have Refunded me £180

=)

Last edited by a moderator:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has received from apple any courtesy offer of freebies for Late deliveries or orders that they messed up on? I know a few people had orders unexpectedly cancelled or miss delivery dates by a substantial amount. Just wondering if they offered you anything, what did you get?

Why would Apple do that? What company do you know who would do that?

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Yes, if you are in the US and go low on 'entitlement' when you speak to them you may be able to get an extra mouse or trackpad or something like that. Not known to happen in Europe or RoW

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Why should you be entitled to anything? Orders can be delayed at times, especially for a new product. It's really not a problem.

Why did everyone suddenly become so impatient?

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
without going into great detail the reason for my post was, they have offered me "compensation as a way of courtesy" not something I actively pursued but the topic came up, so why say no.

so its not a case of IF/WHY would they do that, they do and are doing that. But I wanted to get an idea of what to expect or demand. Are we saying £10 voucher, a mouse, applecare .... just want to see where the scale is.

Last edited:

BeejayUK

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Surrey Hills
without going into great detail the reason for my post was, they have offered me "compensation as a way of courtesy" not something I actively pursued but the topic came up, so why say no.

so its not a case of IF/WHY would they do that, they do and are doing that. But I wanted to get an idea of what to expect or demand. Are we saying £10 voucher, a mouse, applecare .... just want to see where the scale is.

Probably would have been better to tell us after the "compensation" has arrived.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally, I would never think of asking for something because and order was late. Those dates aren't a contractual promise but an estimation. I think people that do are ridiculous. No wonder Apple products are so expensive with whinners being placated with free stuff.

I seems like you were not ASKING at all but got OFFERED which is great. They offer, sure I would take it.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Probably would have been better to tell us after the "compensation" has arrived.

fairplay, might something completely worthless to me, exact quote

"I would like to offer you a token of apology for the great inconveniences you have encountered
so to restore your confidence in Apple, once you have successfully received your order please get in touch"

But point of my thread was to ask what have you received if anything ?
so I can pre-empt any kind of offer with a request.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
external super drive here.

Exactly what I was going to say. These people that are bashing for asking to get free stuff are crazy. I get tons of free stuff from companies that mess up. I also do the same for my customers that buy my hemp wick. It's a common business practice. Guess what? The companies that SHOW they care are the ones keeping LOYAL customers. If Apple wasn't so generous it would be more difficult to justify the added cost.

laryenhilllvr

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
NYC
Exactly what I was going to say. These people that are bashing for asking to get free stuff are crazy. I get tons of free stuff from companies that mess up. I also do the same for my customers that buy my hemp wick. It's a common business practice. Guess what? The companies that SHOW they care are the ones keeping LOYAL customers. If Apple wasn't so generous it would be more difficult to justify the added cost.

My sentiments exactly! I flew on an airline that lost my luggage (although they found it within 48 hours) and they sent me a voucher for 10% off my next flight. Apple granted me all my itunes purchases a second time way back before icloud even though the user agreement stated customers were liable for lost purchases along with an itunes gift card and a refund for the movies/albums that were no longer available. Just yesterday I called to find out if my laptop would still be serviced under applecare when i get back to the states and they told me they would offer me a replacement instead. So it's a good thing that companies go the extra mile to make sure they right their wrongs or show their appreciation by going above and beyond the bare minimum.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
When I ordered my iMac in 2011, they messed it up completely - charged twice, iMac came with huge deep scratch on it (8cm long roughly) and it really annoyed me. I never got angry or impolite, and they offerd me a 1TB G-Drive worth about £110 at the time. And I didn't have to send the damaged iMac back until the replacement got here - which apparently they didn't normally do, though I think they might have changed this policy.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
They offered me a SuperDrive just because they couldn't get my iMac to me before Christmas. I didn't ask for anything.

But I have gone through hell and back with their support (in store) before without being offered anything. But they have always been as accommodating as possible (over the phone that is).

Just try and be calm and patient, karma does exist.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
That's really great to hear and when the customer service is up to that standard it doesnt feel so bad partly with mega bucks for Apple products.

I must say whenever I have called the support number they have been possibly the politest and warmest Customer service reps I have spoken to and it makes it difficult to be angry at anyone. Like the previous poster said, karma does exist.

davsv1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
They refunded me $100.00 because TNT stuffed up my delivery by 3 days and then they still got it wrong:confused:, finally put it on a separate courier to deliver it by special order on NYE
I never asked for it they offered and who am I to knock back $100

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Hey,

Thanks

Are you perfect?

Never late?

Mistake free?

I didn't think so :)

Aug 5, 2012
Why would Apple do that? What company do you know who would do that?

Are you seriously asking if companies offer free items and discounts to customers for incorrect/late orders and bad service?!

You realise that most companies do this day in, day out?

Apple does it all the time.

----------

Are you perfect?

Never late?

Mistake free?

I didn't think so :)

He's not a business.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Are you perfect?

P.S sarcasm aside, You are right I am none of those things, and personally I didn't really expect that of Apple either, not like I asked for money back (i've mentioned this already). However Since you mentioned it, I thought about it, and to be honest whenever I have promised a client something to be delivered on a particular time or to a particular specification, if I mess up I DO compensate them in some way. In the past that may of been money back, extra services or discounts in future or in one instance a round of drinks!
So now that I think about it after your post, I thank you as I feel even more obliged to get what I can out of them, because if that's the level that I, as an individual can offer then I expect more from a big company such as Apple.

Aug 5, 2012
P.S sarcasm aside, You are right I am none of those things, and personally I didn't really expect that of Apple either, not like I asked for money back (i've mentioned this already). However Since you mentioned it, I thought about it, and to be honest whenever I have promised a client something to be delivered on a particular time or to a particular specification, if I mess up I DO compensate them in some way. In the past that may of been money back, extra services or discounts in future or in one instance a round of drinks!
So now that I think about it after your post, I thank you as I feel even more obliged to get what I can out of them, because if that's the level that I, as an individual can offer then I expect more from a big company such as Apple.

OP i really wouldnt worry about all the negativity here.

Apple has decided to refund you money due to their poor service... You should not be punished for this.

It was their mistake and you should not be the one apologising.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
OP i really wouldnt worry about all the negativity here.

Apple has decided to refund you money due to their poor service... You should not be punished for this.

It was their mistake and you should not be the one apologising.

thanks for that :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has received from apple any courtesy offer of freebies for Late deliveries or orders that they messed up on?

I have been offered a small (50 euro) reimbursement for the late delivery of the rMBP, although it wasn't actually late - they delivered pretty much within the promised time period.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Apple might be cool people but they are still people and no one is perfect. I wouldn't try to get freebies out of them because karma will bite you back. If you believe in that kind of stuff think that maybe if you got it on time it might have dead pixels and getting it a bit later is actually doing you a favour and giving you a flawless machine you can feel really good about. Cry too hard and you will start developing negative syndrome which is not healthy.

On the other hand if they offer of course take it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.