Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like there's now less reason to buy the 21.5-inch: 2.9GHz model

C-Dub

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
1tb fusion option is available via the apple store app as well

Last edited:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Interesting. Maybe they ran out of mobos without SSD sockets.

Tech specs page isn't updated yet.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
interesting

I wonder how much of that is demand?

Seems like it pays to wait when multiple configurations of a new Mac are released now, as addtional customization is eventually offered anywhere from 1-6 months down the line.

I have yet to find a fusion drive version iMac in apple's stores, but that's only part of the deal killer for me. *Thinks this is probably why the Mac Mini I played with last week launched so much quicker than the new iMacs at one store.

Even so, I'm glad everyone has more options with the base 21.5" iMac now.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe I'm the first! Ordered 21 base w/ Fusion today when I saw this thread. Just need a hub Mac to web browse, mail, some minor photo video editing, backup iPad and Touch.

I have a build-my-own PC, but really just done with all that since my work computer is a 13" Air. I almost picked up the base on that Friday they came out in the Apple store, but with my experience with SSD on the Air, there was no way I was going w/ a spinning disk.

Was playing around with the 27, very nice, but just don't need all that desktop for what I'm going to do with it. With the education discount, my 21 w/ fusion comes to $1474 before taxes. Not going to utilize $180 in additional 8gb of ram and don't need the extra GHz on the processor. If I went with the 27, I would have wanted to get the 680 which would have brought the price tag up to ~$2260.

I contemplated a Mini w/ monitor, but once I saw fusion available on the base iMac, it became clear that a base iMac w/ fusion was the going to be the best bang for my buck.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Interesting. I wonder if/when they'll update the 27" options with more SSD choices. It's got to happen at some point, once they've finished milking the early adopters.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
Apple did this with the 15" MBP Retina

Apple did this with the BTO options on the 15" Macbook Pro Retina after it launched. Here's the Macrumors story from August 1, 2012:

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/0...-configuration-options-on-retina-macbook-pro/

Apple today quietly expanded the available configuration options for the Retina MacBook Pro, now offering a full slate of individual upgrade options on the base model that starts at $2199. Previously, customers who opted for the base model were locked into a 2.3 GHz Core i7 processor and 256 GB of flash storage, with the only configurable onboard option being a $200 RAM upgrade from 8 GB to 16 GB. Customers looking to boost either the CPU or storage were required to step up to the high-end $2799 model, which offers both a 2.6 GHz i7 processor and 512 GB of storage, with additional upgrades beyond that.

Apple is now offering all available upgrades on the low-end model, giving customers full control over their configuration needs.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
The Fusion drive option is good enough already for people like me. :p

So glad I didn't jump onto purchasing the maxed out 27 inch yet. Still need time to think. :)

I didn't want to overdo it, so went with the base Fusion 27" fits my needs perfectly:D

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
LOL, being early adopter is not a safe business... all those who were buying high 21incher just for fussion cant be happy today:(

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
:rolleyes: Big deal. What about giving us more affordable SSD-only options. I never gonna get a fusion drive, to me it's just a cheaper compromise to proper SSD setups - retaining all the negatives of the old-fashioned HDs.
By getting an all SSD solution, you get a more reliable machine, faster (all the time), less noise, less heat etc..

----------

Is there any way at all to complain, exchange or similar?

Let's us not get carried away. It was added as an option to the "low-end" iMac 21.5. You should have ordered the "high-end" 21.5 iMac instead, if you wanted fusion.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Let's us not get carried away. It was added as an option to the "low-end" iMac 21.5. You should have ordered the "high-end" 21.5 iMac instead, if you wanted fusion.

What if he ordered the "high-end" 21.5" iMac just to get Fusion Drive? Now it's available on the "low-end", thus making him feel robbed out.

Now all we need is the option of getting the GTX 680MX on the base 27", then I'm all set! :D

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
:rolleyes: Big deal. What about giving us more affordable SSD-only options. I never gonna get a fusion drive, to me it's just a cheaper compromise to proper SSD setups - retaining all the negatives of the old-fashioned HDs.
By getting an all SSD solution, you get a more reliable machine, faster (all the time), less noise, less heat etc..

I don't think anyone (including Apple) would disagree that pure SSD is better; but to average consumers, capacity is critical and cost is prohibitive.

Pheomixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Nara, Japan
Maybe I'm the first! Ordered 21 base w/ Fusion today when I saw this thread. Just need a hub Mac to web browse, mail, some minor photo video editing, backup iPad and Touch.

I have a build-my-own PC, but really just done with all that since my work computer is a 13" Air. I almost picked up the base on that Friday they came out in the Apple store, but with my experience with SSD on the Air, there was no way I was going w/ a spinning disk.

Was playing around with the 27, very nice, but just don't need all that desktop for what I'm going to do with it. With the education discount, my 21 w/ fusion comes to $1474 before taxes. Not going to utilize $180 in additional 8gb of ram and don't need the extra GHz on the processor. If I went with the 27, I would have wanted to get the 680 which would have brought the price tag up to ~$2260.

I contemplated a Mini w/ monitor, but once I saw fusion available on the base iMac, it became clear that a base iMac w/ fusion was the going to be the best bang for my buck.

Congrats on your new iMac :)

----------

What if he ordered the "high-end" 21.5" iMac just to get Fusion Drive? Now it's available on the "low-end", thus making him feel robbed out.

Now all we need is the option of getting the GTX 680MX on the base 27", then I'm all set! :D

Lol. I just want the option to be able to customize the base 27 inch for a better graphics card. Will apple make that option too in the future?

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I wonder if this means that base, non-fusion, 21.5" will have a functioning SSD slot so that you may add your own proprietary SSD blade for less than $250?

dearlaserworks

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2012
Eastern Shore, USA
Is there any way at all to complain, exchange or similar?

In the US, you should be able to get a full refund and order a new one, until Jan 7. Should apply whether online or in a physical store.

Extended Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between October 27, 2012 and December 25, 2012, may be returned through January 7, 2013. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store are still applicable. This holiday return policy does not apply to iPhone or wireless service contracts. All purchases made after December 25, 2012 are subject to the standard Apple Online Store return policy , which requires returns to be made within 14 calendar days of the date of receipt. For more information, refer to the Apple Online Store.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at an Apple Retail Store between October 27, 2012, and December 25, 2012, may be returned with an original receipt or Gift Receipt through January 7, 2013. If the item is returned in the original box, with the original packaging, we will exchange it or offer you an Apple Gift Card. Refunds will be granted through January 7, 2013 only when an original purchase receipt is provided and will be based solely on the original method of payment.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html

Rich2Putt

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
MA
Pity those who got the high-end 21.5 inch imac just to be able to upgrade to the fusion drive

Count me in :mad:

On a positive note, the 21.5 I received is flawless and I am not looking back. As my first iMac, I'm enjoying a new experience after 20+ yrs of pc use.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.