Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
iphone_itunes_wi-fi_sync1.png

Wi-Fi sync on your iPhone not working for ya?

Wi-Fi Sync only works when plugged in?

We have answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Your phone hates you. I would take it back and try and exchange it.

I believe it only syncs over wifi when it's plugged in, that's probably your issue. All you really have to do is go into iTunes-->more-->purchased-->music-->click on song to Dl.

Plus why are you using your devices on a cafe (aka not secured) wifi? Someone has all your bank info now!

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I'm not really sure what iCloud has to do with the fact that the open(!) wifi you're on has restrictions...

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Wi-Fi Sync never, ever, works when you need it to...
Works fine for me. You seem to be confusing "you" and "I".

So you're sitting at the cafe, and you find a new song. So you drag it into iTunes and try to sync over Wi-Fi. It is here where the entire concept of iCloud breaks down.
iCloud is not WiFi sync. WiFi sync takes place between iTunes on your computer and your device. Automatic downloads take place between each device and Apple's servers. The point of automatic downloads is that you don't have to sync (WiFi or wired) to have your purchases on your devices.

See also:
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/itunes-in-the-cloud/
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386

And what's more, why is it syncing over Wi-Fi now, when it couldn't before?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386
Emphasis added:
Whenever the computer and the iOS device are on the same network, the iOS device will appear in iTunes, and you can sync it. The iOS device will sync automatically when all of the following are true:
  • The iOS device is plugged in to power
  • iTunes is open on the computer
  • The iOS device and the computer are on the same Wi-Fi network

You're able to sync over WiFi when you couldn't before because you plugged your iPhone into a power source when you connected the cable. Make sure you understand the requirements.

And the iCloud tabs thing, never works. If you have a page open on your iPhone and you want to open it on your Mac, you go to Safari, click the little iCloud tabs thing, but nothing ever shows up.

This is iCloud for me. This is how it's always happened. Why is this happening?
Again, check the requirements.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5372

Why is this happening?
Lack of understand and possible improper setup. Don't overlook the Apple site and Google searches (how I found these) as resources.

I'm not really sure what iCloud has to do with the fact that the open(!) wifi you're on has restrictions...
Hotspot restrictions aren't the issue. Read the OP again. WiFi sync works when the USB cable is plugged in. If the restrictions were the problem it would not work either way.

Last edited:

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
Wi-Fi Sync has been broken ever since iOS 6.

I don't know what Apple changed, but ever since the release of iOS 6, the feature has been a complete mess for countless people. I have the exact same problem with Wi-Fi Sync and when I looked into it, I discovered that it is incredibly common.

I really hope that iOS 6.1 fixes this.

*Edit*

To the user above me, your statement about the device needing to be plugged in is absolutely incorrect. For battery purposes, Apple always recommends that you plug in the phone when doing any sort of wireless updating, but it has never been an actual requirement. On iOS 5, I used to sync my iPhone's music library over iTunes all the time without plugging it in. As long as I had over 20% battery life, it would let me sync. With iOS 6, the feature is broken, in that the Sync button is grayed out 90% of the time, even though it shouldn't be.

Last edited:

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Wi-Fi Sync has been broken ever since iOS 6.

I don't know what Apple changed, but ever since the release of iOS 6, the feature has been a complete mess for countless people. I have the exact same problem with Wi-Fi Sync and when I looked into it, I discovered that it is incredibly common.

I really hope that iOS 6.1 fixes this.

*Edit*

To the user above me, your statement about the device needing to be plugged in is absolutely incorrect. For battery purposes, Apple always recommends that you plug in the phone when doing any sort of wireless updating, but it has never been an actual requirement. On iOS 5, I used to sync my iPhone's music library over iTunes all the time without plugging it in. As long as I had over 20% battery life, it would let me sync. With iOS 6, the feature is broken, in that the Sync button is grayed out 90% of the time, even though it shouldn't be.

+1 on all your comments.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Yep, never works for me either. The devices show up in iTunes and when I press sync it can never locate them.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I got 6.01 and iTunes 11 and it works fine for me at my home WIFI. AC initiates sync automatically if configured so but one can always hit the SYNC button even when on batt.

At the Mcdonald's I frequent I notice they got 2 hotspots with different SSID so perhaps u want to make sure both devices are talking to the same hotspot to insure same-network.

THEN if I was the cafe's manager I may disable anything that my 2 dollars, sit-all-day customers can't do torrent all day!

Oh when u upgrade the software, u may want to toggle the WIFI SYNC setting. Dunn know why I had to do that but that did it 4rme.

Oh and at one airport I frequent, iCloud access is disabled. I dunno if this is intentional but at public hotspots u have to assume they really gives u browsing/email access but the rest cannot be guaranteed.

Last edited:

raam89

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
The Golden state
So you're sitting at the cafe, and you find a new song. So you drag it into iTunes and try to sync over Wi-Fi. It is here where the entire concept of iCloud breaks down.

I'm ready to sync. But my Mac and iPhone cannot recognize that these devices are both on the same Wi-Fi network. iCloud is always like this.

So you sit there and press the Sync button on your iPhone, and then it says, "Looking for Macbook Pro..." but then it never finds it. And the Macbook does not recognize your iPhone in the least.

So what do you have to end up doing? You have to go into your bookbag, get the USB cord and sync manually. It is only now that iCloud begins to sync you iPhone to iTunes over Wi-Fi, when it's plugged into the computer.

I know it's because I had the Sync to Wi-Fi box checked, but if the cord is plugged into the computer, then why would I want it to sync over Wi-Fi? And what's more, why is it syncing over Wi-Fi now, when it couldn't before?
"quit/close" itunes and reopen it. iTunes will look for the known iDevices in the same wireless network and detect them. Try sync now. It always works for me..

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hotspot restrictions aren't the issue. Read the OP again. WiFi sync works when the USB cable is plugged in. If the restrictions were the problem it would not work either way.

As long as the iPhone is recognised by iTunes (showing up to the left), the phone does not have to be connected to a power source to sync.

I reread the OP, and I interpret it the same way now as I did then. He connects his phone to his computer in order to sync. Ergo, it's not syncing over wifi and therefore it's not proof of lack of restrictions or restrictions not being the problem.

----------

I've never understood why people will spend 30+ minutes for something that cost a dollar.

I don't understand what you mean, care to explain, please?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

I'm ready to sync. But my Mac and iPhone cannot recognize that these devices are both on the same Wi-Fi network. iCloud is always like this.

So you sit there and press the Sync button on your iPhone, and then it says, "Looking for Macbook Pro..." but then it never finds it. And the Macbook does not recognize your iPhone in the least.

So what do you have to end up doing? You have to go into your bookbag, get the USB cord and sync manually. It is only now that iCloud begins to sync you iPhone to iTunes over Wi-Fi, when it's plugged into the computer.

I know it's because I had the Sync to Wi-Fi box checked, but if the cord is plugged into the computer, then why would I want it to sync over Wi-Fi? And what's more, why is it syncing over Wi-Fi now, when it couldn't before?

This is iCloud for me daily.

And the iCloud tabs thing, never works. If you have a page open on your iPhone and you want to open it on your Mac, you go to Safari, click the little iCloud tabs thing, but nothing ever shows up.

This is iCloud for me. This is how it's always happened. Why is this happening?

Doesn't the fact you are in a cafe affect syncing? I believe all devices have to be connected to the same SECURE network. Public cafe wifi hotspots are not secure.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Also, the iCloud Tabs thing ... again the iCloud Server may be totally unreachable due to the type of network you are logged onto ...

Also, I have seen people open some browser windows and in a few seconds, put their laptops to sleep ... there isnt enough time to sync with iCloud ... it needs some moments for the tabs to be open for a sync ... Also, type on network your iphone is connected to further slows down the sync back of those tabs.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Okay, let me put a password on my wifi then, because now I'm at home.

I hate to keep coming back to this, but it's really annoying.

I hate to keep plugging my iPhone in even though it's supposed to sync over Wi-Fi. I'm doing a double handed facepalm on this.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I re-read the manual, doesn't say your HAVE to be on a SECURED network. OK it makes sense personally but I would wonder why Apple would make it mandatory.

For u geeks "on the same network" means you are on the same subnet (99% of your homes would be this way).

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
That's not even something that anybody would know. It should work regardless. If you have two Apple devices signed into the same iCloud account and you press Sync, it should work.

No matter what, you have to plug it in anyway. i wouldn't bet my life on Wi-Fi sync, it's broken.

I've given up on it.

Last edited:

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I noticed something. If you click the little iCloud icon of the left side on the new iTunes.

It resets and works after that. Wow.

Last edited:

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I get this issue too. I think it maybe an issue with my wifi network at home. I have a pretty cheap router.

I'd had this problem constantly.

Wi-Fi Sync not working: iPhone "cannot be found"
iTunes Wifi Sync not working
iPhone 5 wifi sync not working
If Wireless Syncing DOES NOT Work For You...

I've posted about this topic more than anyone can count, yet there seems to be no definitive answer. I'm not going to mess with my router. It's fine the way it was set up. It shouldn't matter about firewalls, or secured Wi-Fi networks or, whatever...

When your Macbook and your iPhone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, iCloud is supposed to work.

I knew it had to be something else. I think this may be the answer:

ml5emc.png

Last edited:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I finally figured out why wifi sync has been failing on me, and not my ipad or ipod. In short what was happening is that everytime I tried to sync, it would work the first time, and then fail after that. I had to always reboot my imac and then it would work once, and then fail again. I noticed everytime I did a sync, whether cable or wifi, one song was always being listed as being backed up, even though it was already on my phone. I deleted that song from the phone and it hasn't failed since.

----------

Never mind my last post, it failed again. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.