Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Ive always encoded my dvds with handbrake and edited metadata with MetaX.
And theyve all stay in the movies folder in itunes and currently still do.

However I added a few more encodes to the library doing the same procedure and now they all show up in Home Movies section of itunes, even though Movies is selected in MetaX - all the other metadata retains and is the same.
So i edit the metadata in Itunes from Home Movie to Movie and it moves it over, but its not "hard coded" it doesnt stick. i transferred it to my portable and it pops it back into Home Movies.

Is it a metax issue, itunes issue?
anyone else experiencing this?
iTunes has always been horrible at metadata especially for movies, it never hard encodes them to keep them in one general location.

all apps are uptodate (metax, handbrake, itunes, )

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Ive always encoded my dvds with handbrake and edited metadata with MetaX.
And theyve all stay in the movies folder in itunes and currently still do.

However I added a few more encodes to the library doing the same procedure and now they all show up in Home Movies section of itunes, even though Movies is selected in MetaX - all the other metadata retains and is the same.
So i edit the metadata in Itunes from Home Movie to Movie and it moves it over, but its not "hard coded" it doesnt stick. i transferred it to my portable and it pops it back into Home Movies.

Is it a metax issue, itunes issue?
anyone else experiencing this?
iTunes has always been horrible at metadata especially for movies, it never hard encodes them to keep them in one general location.

all apps are uptodate (metax, handbrake, itunes, )

Sounds like it may be a metaX problem. Mine did the same thing until about a week ago when they updated Subler to fix the issue.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's not an iissue with your software...It's some new feature in iTunes. Just right click the file in question and choose "Movie" from the menu...That will move it over for you. It seems to do it with some rips and not others.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Sounds like it may be a metaX problem. Mine did the same thing until about a week ago when they updated Subler to fix the issue.

Hm, yeah trying Subler now, alittle getting used but it seems to do the trick.
Any idea if MetaX is still developing? :confused: --thanks!

It's not an iissue with your software...It's some new feature in iTunes. Just right click the file in question and choose "Movie" from the menu...That will move it over for you. It seems to do it with some rips and not others.

Yep. I tried that initially, however when importing them back in they dont stick. it switches them back to Home Movies - when changing metadata in iTunes for movies just doesnt work permanently.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I noticed the same since upgrading to the latest iTunes. Easy to change and mine seems to stick just fine. Maybe your file is read-only?

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I noticed the same since upgrading to the latest iTunes. Easy to change and mine seems to stick just fine. Maybe your file is read-only?

If you remove your iTunes file and re-add it, you will find that the file reverts. This also occurs if you add it to a different library. This is what he is referring to.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
If you remove your iTunes file and re-add it, you will find that the file reverts. This also occurs if you add it to a different library. This is what he is referring to.

Precisely what I was getting at.

so far, the subler fix for it is working. currently using metax as the workflow tool and subler to make sure the tag is Movie.
thanks for the subler suggestion/reference!

whynotregister

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
open the files in metax, check the video kind box

used metax to update about 300 movies, about 30 of them for whatever reason decided to be moved to the "home movies" group in itunes... i reopened them in metax... check the box located to the right of "video kind" hit the apply button... and now all of my moves are showing up under movies.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
used metax to update about 300 movies, about 30 of them for whatever reason decided to be moved to the "home movies" group in itunes... i reopened them in metax... check the box located to the right of "video kind" hit the apply button... and now all of my moves are showing up under movies.

in metax the movie box is checked, but they still dont stick with recent encodes.

all my other movies ive done in the past are fine and the metadata have stuck, just the recent few encodes havent been taking. still havent figured out the reasoning.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
MetaX isn't being developed anymore, but you can use MetaZ, which is a spin off that is still being developed. It's pretty similar to MetaX in looks too. The newest update allows you to choose between home video, video, etc.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
MetaX sucks! Get iFlicks and that will tag everything correctly and categorize in iTunes properly too.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
MetaX isn't being developed anymore, but you can use MetaZ, which is a spin off that is still being developed. It's pretty similar to MetaX in looks too. The newest update allows you to choose between home video, video, etc.

appreciate the suggestion. works great. subler is a good alternative after messing with it and getting to know the workflow of it better too, but liking metaZ

MetaX sucks! Get iFlicks and that will tag everything correctly and categorize in iTunes properly too.
No thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.