Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theRAMman

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
The Moon.
Ok, I know this probably isn't stored on the SSD because this is only the second time I have ran this application. That being said with everything maxed out with advanced open GL turned on, I was averaging 30-33 fps. Without advanced open gl, I averaged 50fps.

30fps... alright I suppose... but wow my friends are gonna laugh at me since their pcs run at 70fps for half the price :( oh apple

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
30fps... alright I suppose... but wow my friends are gonna laugh at me since their pcs run at 70fps for half the price :( oh apple

Well I was expecting this kinda performance... It's only a hd4000 which is crap compared to even the 640m in the iMac. Moral of the story, never buy apple products if your sole purpose for the machine is to play games. Having said that these results are still very acceptable for this type of machine. Thanks astral!

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012

Put it on 64-bit mode and you'll get a much better frame rate than you have now.

Last edited:

theRAMman

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
The Moon.
sorry to bump, but I just got a mac mini for christmas and have found that minecraft runs at between 50-70fps on full view settings

ezranm

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
My kids tell me it runs 100 times better on our new mac mini (quad core 2.3 i7 with 4gb ram) than our late model 2008 macbook. Just picked up the new computer a few days ago. I have it hooked up to a 27" viewsonic, which I had the macbook hooked up to before. Hope that helps.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
My kids are Minecraft freaks and play it all the time. It runs great at 1920x1200 with Fancy Graphics and Far Render Distance selected.

Last edited:

Minecraftfan

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
I do have a Mac Mini, I've installed Minecraft, the fps digits don't go above 20 fps, the game is so laggy.

I have 4 GB Ram with built-in graphics, what could be the issue?

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
I do have a Mac Mini, I've installed Minecraft, the fps digits don't go above 20 fps, the game is so laggy.

I have 4 GB Ram with built-in graphics, what could be the issue?

Minecraft uses quite a bit of RAM, especially on far render distances. Combine this with the fact that the memory is shared with the CPU, and I would advise you to upgrade the RAM.

It also depends on what model you have of course, but if this is the 2012 version that does not sound like the correct performance.

Pismonium

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2006
SoCal
My sons machine died a few months back. I'm considering picking up a used Mini, as cash is a bit scarce lately. Among other Apps I'd like to make sure the specs are enough to run the current MC.

The Mini I'm considering is a Mid-2010, MC270LL/A, 2.4Ghz, that will arrive with 2GB/1066 that I'll up to 4GB. Graphics card is GeForce 320M. The rest of the specs can be see here.

Will this work or will it be sluggish? Or am I kidding myself altogether?

Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.