Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
This will be awesome if songs can be downloaded and played offline (similar to Microsoft). Data caps and dead cell areas make streaming less attractive. It would be great if you can build a catalog of music on the device that can be used for offline.

spotify premium allow you to select 3,333 songs for offline mode.

You can have up to 3,333 tracks from the Spotify streaming catalogue synced for offline use, on each of up to 3 computers/devices at any time.

so no data charge

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
Pandora?

OK, not sure I buy into a Radio Service - I want music on demand. Search for an artist and play the music - not some radio service. Apple needs to compete with Spotify - not Pandora.

I have not used iTunes in a couple of years for Music... I stopped using it because of Spotify and music on demand - not Pandora's Radio Stations ... (sigh)

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.

So ...waiting 5 mins for your list makes you want to 'punch babies'?

yeah...that makes since.

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

isn't this the same as making a playlist in iTunes? iRadio doesn't make that better, it just duplicates that function.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
iTunes Match is not streaming - you download the entire track which you can play while downloading. Very different.

Yep, iTunes Match is better than just regular streaming. Not only do you get to play your entire music library from anywhere with instant playing (like regular streaming) but you also get the download to your device so you don't have to keep downloading to your device all the time and using up your data. Please you can delete them at any time.

I have it turned on my Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV and the whole system works great! Even smart playlists and genius matches work now and are kept in sync.

iTunes Match is one of my favorite features of iOS/OSX.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
sorry Apple but Spotify has you beat, they even have a better interface/App than you and you had a 13 year head start!

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
OK, not sure I buy into a Radio Service - I want music on demand. Search for an artist and play the music - not some radio service. Apple needs to compete with Spotify - not Pandora.

I have not used iTunes in a couple of years for Music... I stopped using it because of Spotify and music on demand - not Pandora's Radio Stations ... (sigh)

Me too, for some reason I signed up to Music Match to access my 20K songs but never listen to them as Spotify has all 13 million songs that I can't fit on my iPhone. Well worth $10.00 per month!

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.

So it's Apples fault you have a poor data connection?

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

Keep in mind that this article, like every article, is being written and interpreted by a 3rd party reporter. This reporter may subscribe to Pandora and not have a clue as to what Spotify is. Keep in mind that every article you read is created by a 3rd party writer trying to make a living. It's one persons perspective, spun to get you to read and react, which they've somehow accomplished.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have to admit, I have fired up iTunes (on devices or desktop) maybe twice in the last year and a half. I've been using Spotify almost exclusively, and have saved so much money paying only $9 a month instead of $50-60 a month on buying albums.

If I can't make play lists and listen to songs I want to listen to without having just general radio stations... not interested.

Same. I started out every month going, ok, I'm not going to buy a ton of songs. By the end of the month, I bought easily $30-$50 worth of songs. Hear something I like? I had to add it to iTunes. $1.29 or $.99. Adds up pretty quickly.

Now? Spotify or MOG. I like MOG because I can use it on my Chromebook. But I've spent 100% of my time listening to those (just paying for one at a time) for the last 6 months. Great way to find new music.

Being the IT guy for most of my family - I've noticed that everyone uses Spotify. I'm talking 30+ people that I know. Every single one of them use Spotify. Out of my x Facebook contacts, I'd say 90%+ use Spotify. I think it's retarded that the main players (Microsoft, Apple, Google) haven't caught on this streaming thing yet.

----------

Yep, iTunes Match is better than just regular streaming. Not only do you get to play your entire music library from anywhere with instant playing (like regular streaming) but you also get the download to your device so you don't have to keep downloading to your device all the time and using up your data. Please you can delete them at any time.

I have it turned on my Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV and the whole system works great! Even smart playlists and genius matches work now and are kept in sync.

iTunes Match is one of my favorite features of iOS/OSX.

I'll take true STREAMING over that. I used to be like you and rely heavily on iTunes match on my iPhone but my 30+GB music library filled my 16GB iPhone pretty quickly. I'd have to constantly be deleting music.

The posters here have it right. Spotify is king and is eating the $$$ while the major players are wondering what's going on.

----------

not a big fan of pandora. I hate have to listen to a predetermined play list.

Part of why I like Spotify so much is that it introduces me to similar music. Yeah, I have a HUGE music library (30+GB). Well, huge to me. And having listened to it for the last 10 years .... I really could use some new music. After spending early 2012 wasting so much $ on $1.29/$.99 music, Spotify was a GREAT opportunity. I could listen to new music, get new artists, and not have to buy every damn song. Spotify has my business, and my wife's business, and pretty much everyone I know's business.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1. It's one thing to have content for sale and another to have ability to stream that content as free or premium "radio station". Royalty payments on streaming stations are next to nothing so labels see only low margins compared to album sales.

2. It's true that Apple steaming service would probably have superior integration with iTunes but at the same time zero integration with everything else. Services like Spotify integrates with everything from your trusty old Mac to smart TV's, hell those guys seem to be pushing that service everywhere.

Regarding integration from device standpoint, Sonos is great example of excellent integration offering incredible variety of subscription and non-subscription based content from different providers.

1. I don't see your point. Apple has a magnificent starting position with the current iTunes library and user base. The launch of a streaming service with a low monthly fee will indeed be low margin, but an important complement to the regular song and album purchase function that iTunes already has. The last will surely remain in place.

2. You are right about the integration part, but remember that Apple has a good starting position for iOS and Mac devices too. If they launch a streaming service, it will most likely also show up on the iOS devices including the Apple TV.

At this point the only obstacle seems to be the contractual basis for the streaming service. Hardware and software platforms, user base and library are all there.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
How do you know what interface they have and they haven't released it yet?

I can't see Apple abandoning iTunes. They just released #11 and removed many of the features that I liked. They seem to be committed to a sinking ship on that front. But sure, I don't know any more than any rumor-monger - here's to hoping Apple will redo their interface for music.

Mikeoley

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Spotify >>>>>>>>>> Anything Apple is doing or will try to do. And it's by miles. I can get 95% of what i want on Spotify. itunes is clunky, old and washed up. They should really tear the whole thing down and start from scratch. And if they don't consider the subscription based path they'll still be left in the dust.

Print it.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I can't see Apple abandoning iTunes. They just released #11 and removed many of the features that I liked. They seem to be committed to a sinking ship on that front. But sure, I don't know any more than any rumor-monger - here's to hoping Apple will redo their interface for music.

Can you explain clearly in what way the interface of Spotify is superior to iTunes? I'm talking about the interface, not the streaming functionality.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Yes it is.
On Macs and devices running iOS 6, it streams.

Not on iOS devices. It downloads the track when playing so it is cached for use where there is no data signal or wifi. This has been discussed in many threads and verified on 6.1 betas also....it does not stream to iOS devices. Period. If you don't believe me, play a track from iTunes Match and then go to settings-about and the number of songs will increase, as well as your devices capacity decreasing.
Here is one thread at least for your reference:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484530/

Last edited:

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
iTunes Match is not streaming - you download the entire track which you can play while downloading. Very different.

They all cache when they stream! With iTunes match, just turn off match and turn it back on and you get your space back within seconds....

----------

Not on iOS devices. It downloads the track when playing so it is cached for use where there is no data signal or wifi. This has been discussed in many threads and verified on 6.1 betas also....it does not stream to iOS devices. Period. If you don't believe me, play a track from iTunes Match and then go to settings-about and the number of songs will increase, as well as your devices capacity decreasing.

So? Turn off match and right back on and you get your space back. Quite simple and it works well.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I don't get it, plays the wrong song how? It's not a streaming service

It downloads a song...shows the right album art...says at the top it is the right song....but the song playing is wrong. Rather common complaint based on the searches I have done trying to fix this issue.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
Can you explain clearly in what way the interface of Spotify is superior to iTunes? I'm talking about the interface, not the streaming functionality.

Sure, you like an artist you click on them and their entire discography becomes available. (I typically don't listen to "platinum" artists so I can't speak for more popular stuff) I find tons of new things/singles compilations etc by bands that I know that then lead me to "similar" genres/styles etc. A whole day of listening to new music everyday of the week.

I think the analogy would be a wiki for music, you get taken down a path that you don't expect with lots of links to quickly navigate. I don't see that with happening with iTunes now or possibly ever.

Works for me.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What's the difference from pandora then? What music service provides streaming of your own content?

iTunes Match. And with no ads. Plus you can sync playlists, ratings etc across devices and download or offline listening.

I still say no Apple isn't interested in being a Pandora or Spotify so much as reviving lala.com which they bought and shuttered 3 years ago. Lala with artist alerts is what Ping should have been. ITunes Match/in the cloud soft of has the 'stream your stuff' covered (on the computer and apple tv) but the listening to member playlists, one time full play, instant mix of artists or groups of similar artists for discovery are still missing.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

Does it automatically delete the cache?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.