Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
Hey guys,

Firstly, a belated merry christmas to you all, and best wishes for a happy new year!

Now, on to my real question:

Mountain Lion has been out for some time now, and as yet, I've not upgraded. This is primarily due to the fact that the App Store sports some disturbingly lousy Customer Reviews of the new OS, and I wasn't prepared to spend the money if it wasn't worth it - to paraphrase one reviewer, I don't want to install an operating system that resets my screen brightness setting every time it reboots! Also, there's nothing wrong with Lion as it is at the moment, by which I mean that irrespective of personal gripes, the system is running as efficiently as ever.

I own a mid-2010 21" iMac. Basically, I was wondering if anyone out there has run the upgrade on this platform and, if so, whether or not you would mind giving me a few pointers - smooth upgrade, any bugs at all, system instabilities that result - and whether you'd recommend it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Hey guys,

Firstly, a belated merry christmas to you all, and best wishes for a happy new year!

Now, on to my real question:

Mountain Lion has been out for some time now, and as yet, I've not upgraded. This is primarily due to the fact that the App Store sports some disturbingly lousy Customer Reviews of the new OS, and I wasn't prepared to spend the money if it wasn't worth it - to paraphrase one reviewer, I don't want to install an operating system that resets my screen brightness setting every time it reboots! Also, there's nothing wrong with Lion as it is at the moment, by which I mean that irrespective of personal gripes, the system is running as efficiently as ever.

I own a mid-2010 21" iMac. Basically, I was wondering if anyone out there has run the upgrade on this platform and, if so, whether or not you would mind giving me a few pointers - smooth upgrade, any bugs at all, system instabilities that result - and whether you'd recommend it?

Thanks in advance! :)

You do realize that you the title of your thread mentions a 2012 iMac right?

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
You do realize that you the title of your thread mentions a 2012 iMac right?

Argh, dammit...I do now!

This is an error on my part - I was just reading about the 2012 iMac teardowns...thanks for pointing this out, I'll edit it now...

Last edited:

vooblu

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I'm running Mountain Lion on an early 2009 24" iMac and it's working perfectly. Have had no issues, and the upgrade was flawless.

Even though it's not the same iMac model as yours, I don't see why you would run into any problems. :)

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I upgraded from a 2006 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard to a mid-2010 iMac 21.5" (with the 3.2GHz Core i3) running ML. Also, I removed the hard drive and installed a 120GB SSD that was in the old MBP. I did this by first migrating my data to the iMac with the HD still in it (using Migration Assistant), then installed the SSD and used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the HD to the SSD. I had zero issues doing all of this; just took time.

I liked SL a lot; it just works, and for me it had the perfect balance of features and capabilities without being gimicky. I never experienced Lion, and from what I've read about it, I'm glad I haven't. Making the jump to ML was pretty straight forward, and after some initial setting changes ( like Mission Control), it works just like SL did for how I want to use it.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
Thanks for all your responses guys.

I'm downloading as we speak, and will let you know how I get on! :)

Offspring992

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
I'm running it on my Late 2009 21.5" iMac and it runs great. Granted, I also swapped my stock 500 gig HD for a 128 gig Crucial M4 SSD (and added more RAM for a total of 12 gigs), but I haven't had any issues yet. Hoping the SSD and extra RAM can make it into 2014 before I do my next upgrade.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Thanks for all your responses guys.

I'm downloading as we speak, and will let you know how I get on! :)

Great!! You should be fine. You have to use ML to see the upgrade. I know your Mac is a 2010 but I have a 2011 i7 iMac and I experience zero issues for the most part. Features alone don't tell the whole story. I know people like the aged Snow Leopard but I think ML is the best version of the Mac OS ever and I've been on Macs since OS 8.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
Great!! You should be fine. You have to use ML to see the upgrade. I know your Mac is a 2010 but I have a 2011 i7 iMac and I experience zero issues for the most part. Features alone don't tell the whole story. I know people like the aged Snow Leopard but I think ML is the best version of the Mac OS ever and I've been on Macs since OS 8.

Thanks for your reply :)

Mountain Lion now installed, and up-and-running. Nothing to report yet in terms of software running, but installation was smooth and encountered no difficulties.

Lion was the first version of OS X I ever used personally (my faculty had Mac's with Snow Leopard on them, but I never really got to know them properly), and I was pretty happy with it - given the number of complaints levelled at it though, Mountain Lion can only be an improvement, and I'm sure I'll be even happier with this version!

brstillie

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
I dont know if this is related to the 10.8 upgrade I recently did, but i have mid 2010 21.5 imac and it is having issues with a noise coming from the display. the buzzing noise gets louder when the display brightness is increase and changes in tone slightly when scrolling. I never really had an issue with this until I did the new operating system update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.