Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Well after 24 hours of owning the 27" its still hard to get used to the size coming from a 21"

Does it get better people?

I keep thinking i've brought the wrong device 8(

Pheomixer

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Nara, Japan
Well after 24 hours of owning the 27" its still hard to get used to the size coming from a 21"

Chill, I'm sure u'll get used to it. Before going for that 21.5 inch imac that you had, I'm sure u had a smaller size laptop? :)

ajkr711

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Michigan/USA
I've had the same concern...I'll likely be going from a 17" to a 27". I'm going the 27" route primarily because of the upgradability and the price difference for me is only $120.

macman05

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007

I felt the exact same when I first got my 27" iMac. Don't worry you'll be fine. Enjoy your machine. :)

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I am so used to using dual screen (albeit Windows PC) at work that I was finding going home to my 21" Dell screen mac mini a bit of a downgrade so I am hoping the 27" does the trick when it eventually arrives. But it may take some getting used to.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
It'll seem large for a few months, but you'll get used to it. After a while, it'll even appear small!

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
Try going back to your 21.5" ... that will be much harder.

I went form a 23" monitor to a 27" iMac at home and now at work my dual 22"ers look tiny

macklos

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
St. Paul, MN
I use both. A 27 at home and and a 21.5 at work. At home I'm mostly using Aperture and Pixelmator so the 27 is much preferred for the screen size and the added GPU memory.
I work with most apps in full screen on the work (21.5) machine. I'm big on using cmd+tab to switch apps and use a magic trackpad gesture based workflow.
For me going back and forth isn't an issue as I'm using them for different things.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Well i've been using the 27" for a few days now and its hurting my eyes

Not sure why a 27" is doing this, I think its the smaller fonts.

The 27" is 2500 x 1440 and the 21" was 1920 x 1080

With the extra screen size and the extra res is the fonts that much smaller than the 21"

I feel like i'm always focusing really hard on the 27". It could be the extra white back grounds when reading web pages. Im not sure

I did have a play with a rMBP in the apple store last night and it seem more relaxed on the eyes.

How does the rMBP compare to the speed of these iMacs these days.

Just weighing up my options incase this 27" makes me go blind 8(

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
Well i've been using the 27" for a few days now and its hurting my eyes

Not sure why a 27" is doing this, I think its the smaller fonts.

The 27" is 2500 x 1440 and the 21" was 1920 x 1080

With the extra screen size and the extra res is the fonts that much smaller than the 21"

I feel like i'm always focusing really hard on the 27". It could be the extra white back grounds when reading web pages. Im not sure

I did have a play with a rMBP in the apple store last night and it seem more relaxed on the eyes.

How does the rMBP compare to the speed of these iMacs these days.

Just weighing up my options incase this 27" makes me go blind 8(

Well then, change the font size/screen resolution. On iPhone now, can't tell you exactly how, but Google is your friend.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hi Guys,

Right the eye strain is killing me on this 27" and it might have to go back 8(

I've been into the Apple Store and find the 21" or even the 15" rMBP doesn't give eye strain.

Does anyone have any experience with the rMBP. Was looking at a maxed out 15" which comes to the same price as my 27"

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with the rMBP. Was looking at a maxed out 15" which comes to the same price as my 27"

On my desk at home I have a rMBP 15" (work) and the new 27" iMac (personal). It isn't bothering my eyes, but even as lovely as it is it doesn't compare to the amazing rMBP screen. With the full SSD it performs more or less on par to the iMac in my limited head to head comparison. If the 27" is bothering you, I think its a reasonable replacement.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
On my desk at home I have a rMBP 15" (work) and the new 27" iMac (personal). It isn't bothering my eyes, but even as lovely as it is it doesn't compare to the amazing rMBP screen. With the full SSD it performs more or less on par to the iMac in my limited head to head comparison. If the 27" is bothering you, I think its a reasonable replacement.

Its really weird. I had a 21" for 3 years and never had pain in my eyes

The 27" feels hard work to focus. How close or far is everyone ? Do you use full screen brightness, half ?

I'm using 3 down from max and sit about 15 inches from the screen at present.

dearlaserworks

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2012
Eastern Shore, USA
Some have had good results by dropping brightness. You can also bump font size in OS X, just not the menu bar up top, and it's an app by app setting. My aging eyes need larger fonts, especially with the tiny pixels on these newer displays.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Some have had good results by dropping brightness. You can also bump font size in OS X, just not the menu bar up top, and it's an app by app setting. My aging eyes need larger fonts, especially with the tiny pixels on these newer displays.

Hi

Do you know what its called please?

Trinite

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Its really weird. I had a 21" for 3 years and never had pain in my eyes

The 27" feels hard work to focus. How close or far is everyone ? Do you use full screen brightness, half ?

I'm using 3 down from max and sit about 15 inches from the screen at present.

I don't know, really (don't have an iMac, though I'm thinking about getting the 27" - trying to decide if it's just too big, too), but 15" from the screen seems VERY close to me for such a big screen, especially at that level of brightness.

I sit further than that from my late 2008 13" Macbook (and usually about half brightness, too). When playing around with the 27" at stores, I had to be over an arm's length away from it.

Can you try further back?

Broseidon

macrumors regular
May 8, 2012
If anyone is having trouble with their 27" iMac hurting their eyes - invest a few $'s in some cheap reading glasses.

I have found that it really helps when using the big screen - especially when it comes to focusing.

Also try to make sure that the room is well illuminated - I was getting really bad eye strain when the room, especially behind the iMac, was dark. Lots of light has solved the problem.

Hope that helps :)

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
its still hard to get used to the size

(that's what she said)

What bothers you about the size? I just moved from a 24" panel (1920x1280) to a new 27" Dell (2560x1440) and it's the same height, just wider. I have to move my mouse a lot more to get from one side of the screen to the other, and the fonts are smaller.

If the small font size bothers you, you can always make it bigger; or if you are bothered by the monitor taking up to much of your field of view, you can move it farther away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.