Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

visvaldis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I have a G4 (MDD). Dual core with 1.25 Ghz With only 80 GB memory it works fine, but the power supply is starting to fail. I installed a used power supply months ago and will have to do it again. It's a great machine and I plan to keep it. It runs the XOS 10.5.
What I'd like is a used Mac-mini with Intel. For my purposes 3 GB RAM and 160 GB Memory are sufficient. More is better, but not necessary.
I'd like a model released in mid 2008 as oldest. I was thinking of spending about $500 to $600. I can use the Dell monitor from my G4 and the mouse and keyboard. I guess I'll have to get an external super drive.
I assume all Mac-minis have the usual iLife already installed. Maybe even a more recent OS than Leopard. I don't need Windows or Microsoft office. I will use InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Playing with Garageband is also fun!
So far, I've only checked on ebay. What other reliable places offer used, but dependable Mac-minis?
I appreciate all help, tips, and advice.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I bought 2 from eBay. No problems with either transaction as both sellers had great feedback. Paid a little more than I wanted for the server but much less than an Apple refurb.

You can occasionally see one on Craigslist but rarely in my area. Larger cities may have more selection.

Some places have used computer stores that stock Apple products. One near me has a 2 week money back guarantee.

visvaldis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks much for all the advice. The links to the articles about RAM vs Hard Drive were very helpful. I appreciate the info.
I live in Louisville, Kentucky. We have one Apple store.
Local Craigs List has all other PCs, but seldom any Apple products, a few Mac laptops, but hardly any desktops or Mac Minis.
I checked refurbished minis at Apple yesterday. Only one was listed, for over 700 USD. I'll check there daily.
But I'll try the BH Photo store.
In the meantime I have to dig up a power supply for my G4. Last night, as usual, I clicked Sleep. The Mac shut down instead. But this morning it powered up with no problem. Didn't have to reset the date and time.
I appreciate all the tips from everyone. Thanks.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
1. I've never heard of that store

2. We don't know where OP lives

3. We can't calculate tax....BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW WHERE HE LIVES.

You don't need to shout. Settle down and go play with your Lenovo.

Chances are the OP doesn't live in the 1 state that B&H charges sales tax (NY). Statistics and all but I would put my money on 49/50 > 1/50. As we now know, he lives in KY. So 49/50 is still greater than 1/50. Thanks for playing.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
I have a G4 (MDD). Dual core with 1.25 Ghz With only 80 GB memory it works fine, but the power supply is starting to fail. I installed a used power supply months ago and will have to do it again. It's a great machine and I plan to keep it. It runs the XOS 10.5.
What I'd like is a used Mac-mini with Intel. For my purposes 3 GB RAM and 160 GB Memory are sufficient. More is better, but not necessary.
I'd like a model released in mid 2008 as oldest. I was thinking of spending about $500 to $600. I can use the Dell monitor from my G4 and the mouse and keyboard. I guess I'll have to get an external super drive.
I assume all Mac-minis have the usual iLife already installed. Maybe even a more recent OS than Leopard. I don't need Windows or Microsoft office. I will use InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Playing with Garageband is also fun!
So far, I've only checked on ebay. What other reliable places offer used, but dependable Mac-minis?
I appreciate all help, tips, and advice.

Even amazon have quite a few good deals. $588.86 brand new for the newest Mac Mini! I'd stay away from places like eBay for pricey goods. For that much money you don't want to end up disappointed!

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Even amazon have quite a few good deals. $588.86 brand new for the newest Mac Mini! I'd stay away from places like eBay for pricey goods. For that much money you don't want to end up disappointed!

Amazon is a good option as well as Macmall for other options.

Personally when I purchase Apple products I look at Apple for a refurb, if nothing there then look at Amazon/Macmall/B&H/Google shopping.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks much for all the advice. The links to the articles about RAM vs Hard Drive were very helpful. I appreciate the info.
I live in Louisville, Kentucky. We have one Apple store.
Local Craigs List has all other PCs, but seldom any Apple products, a few Mac laptops, but hardly any desktops or Mac Minis.
I checked refurbished minis at Apple yesterday. Only one was listed, for over 700 USD. I'll check there daily.
But I'll try the BH Photo store.
In the meantime I have to dig up a power supply for my G4. Last night, as usual, I clicked Sleep. The Mac shut down instead. But this morning it powered up with no problem. Didn't have to reset the date and time.
I appreciate all the tips from everyone. Thanks.

At Best buy its $11 off so its $588... Not amazing but it's something.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
1. I've never heard of that store

FYI, B&H is one of best stores around. They are highly praised among the professional photo and video community. And I'm talking super high end stuff here. I buy all my camera equipment from them and my current MacBook Pro was also purchased from them. Just because you haven't heard of a store before means they're automatically bad. Do your research. :rolleyes:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
FYI, B&H is one of best stores around. They are highly praised among the professional photo and video community. And I'm talking super high end stuff here. I buy all my camera equipment from them and my current MacBook Pro was also purchased from them. Just because you haven't heard of a store before means they're automatically bad. Do your research. :rolleyes:

He's a Canuck. Don't hold that against him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.