Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
yup yup, I have itunes match but so often it seems to just go bonkers, I am running with an iPhone4 and maybe that is the problem, but then they should have yanked that feature from my phone if it was going to be crappy like this. That and that podcast app which sucks b*77s.

I recently setup google's music manager and now that it's done uploading all my music I can see that it's a nicer (more reliable for now) player. I ended up using the gMusic app and it all works nicely (there is a instant mix issue that the developer said he is waiting on apple to approve but after that it should be back to nice playback).

I can speak for it being terrible on 4. I just got a 5 and iTunes Match finally became awesome

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Decline of the radio

It is saddening to see radio as it was intended to be reduced to paid songs, playlists, compressed music listened to with isolation headphones. Because radio is live broadcast, radio is personalities, radio is journalism, radio is voice, radio is opinions, radio is knowledge, radio is learning. Learning also about the music from expert presenters.

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Seriously people need to think outside their little bubble sometimes..

Presently iTunes music is available to over 100 countries, Spotify is only available in 20 countries and Pandora 3 countries

So assuming similar licencing agreements can be reached for streaming rights in these 100 plus countries, don't see why they won't be able to, the global reach for Apple is huge, and potential for another huge revenue source.

It drives me nuts when comments are made "Apple is dumb, Spotify is better, don't see the point of launching etc, etc...Well maybe Spotify/Pandora does work for some people but you know what not everyone has access to it!!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Does it automatically delete the cache?

Well apparently it does,,,when the device needs it. I am forever turning iTunes Match on and off so nothing really fills with music. I read somewhere that it deletes the least played tracks. I guess this service would be stream only, I just hope it's included in the price for current Match users. :)

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sure, you like an artist you click on them and their entire discography becomes available. (I typically don't listen to "platinum" artists so I can't speak for more popular stuff) I find tons of new things/singles compilations etc by bands that I know that then lead me to "similar" genres/styles etc. A whole day of listening to new music everyday of the week.

I think the analogy would be a wiki for music, you get taken down a path that you don't expect with lots of links to quickly navigate. I don't see that with happening with iTunes now or possibly ever.

Works for me.

I can do all that with iTunes too. Although it doesn't have streaming, you can access the entire discography of each artist with the click of a button. Genius suggests other music based on your tastes. iTunes may do it differently but it depends on your personal tastes what you prefer. If iTunes stays the same like it is now, but just adds streaming of all music, then there is no real difference with Spotify functionality wise.

Apple added a lot of new functionality over the past year with 1.5 minute previews and song queuing. It just has to get contracts sorted and extend the preview functionality to full song, and it has the streaming functionality operational.

Apple just has to push the button to get it going.

----------

It is saddening to see radio as it was intended to be reduced to paid songs, playlists, compressed music listened to with isolation headphones. Because radio is live broadcast, radio is personalities, radio is journalism, radio is voice, radio is opinions, radio is knowledge, radio is learning. Learning also about the music from expert presenters.

That used to be the case. Now radio is loud and screaming presenters with no knowledge of music, talking nonsense, constantly interrupted by advertisements. I will take a self selected sequence of songs over that crap any day and will educate myself with internet and newspapers.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
What _I_ think woudl be great:
apple tv would be great if it streamed movies that just came out to cinemas. Apple can be treated like a distributor and a cinema.
Each movie would be $15 a pop, last 24 hours and for the first week, 100% of the monies go to the studios (just like a real cinema). after which, Apple's share would gradually increase and the price will gradually decrease, eventually making it to rental status - $4.99, 30% cut for apple.
Apple would make its money from the TV itself (like the cinema makes money from candy and popcorn)
This feature would only be available on the actual Apple Television set, not the $99 set top box.
Each TV would be 1.85:1 (or some other common cinema standard) and is THX certified.
It'll be 3.1 stereo but you can buy wireless speaker satellites for your surround making it 5.1. However, this is all optional as the TV would already sound great at 3.1

Last edited:

jackal123uk

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
England
iTunes Match is not streaming - you download the entire track which you can play while downloading. Very different.

You're quite right but I like to think of iTunes Match as streaming with a very large cache. I think this model is better than pure streaming especially where mobile devices are concerned (with patchy connections and data caps).

In my opinion, the only thing stopping iTunes Match morphing into an "iRadio" service is the 25k limit (most likely the result of record label negotiations). Giving the record labels a bigger cut or increasing the subscription fee such that the agreement covered the entire iTunes catalogue would be all that's required.

If the service was separate from iTunes Match with the cloud storage side removed Apple could offer it for the same price as iTunes Match with the money saved from not having to host people's music going straight to the record labels.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

Radio is those jacka$$es from Australia and the roach eating contest and the pee holding contest that get people killed. It's morons in the morning and bigots on the lower end of the dial.

Great personalities. NPR, KCRW, and BBC etc have streaming apps and podcasts. Radio can die.

:apple:

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
I can do all that with iTunes too. Although it doesn't have streaming, you can access the entire discography of each artist with the click of a button. Genius suggests other music based on your tastes. iTunes may do it differently but it depends on your personal tastes what you prefer. If iTunes stays the same like it is now, but just adds streaming of all music, then there is no real difference with Spotify functionality wise.

Apple added a lot of new functionality over the past year with 1.5 minute previews and song queuing. It just has to get contracts sorted and extend the preview functionality to full song, and it has the streaming functionality operational.

Apple just has to push the button to get it going.

Maybe I'm missing something but iTunes doesn't work like that. The iTMS does give you links to all the music but only to sell it to you. My Library however is useless for clicks/links etc, I've been using iTunes since the day it was launched and I've outgrown it/it hasn't grown up.

machestnut

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
Florida
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.

totally agree they need to fix the already bugs then move on. That is the problem with apple lately. Its obvious that they are playing catch up with everyone and their product and brand is suffering

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
So assuming similar licencing agreements can be reached for streaming rights in these 100 plus countries, don't see why they won't be able to, the global reach for Apple is huge, and potential for another huge revenue source.

Trust me, if Apple is actually trying to launch some sort of streaming radio / on demand streaming service they won't be launching it in no more the couple of countries. Spotify has one hell of a battle to get streaming rights from major five for new countries so why do you think it would be easier for Apple? Even more so Spotify's main investors are the major five labels so one could assume expanding for them would be easy. Apparently it's far from that. Major five want your $10 but they don't want you to have no more then single album with that kind of money.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
spotify premium allow you to select 3,333 songs for offline mode.

You can have up to 3,333 tracks from the Spotify streaming catalogue synced for offline use, on each of up to 3 computers/devices at any time.

so no data charge

It doesn't matter that others already do this. How many apps has Apple copied in their own way? quite a few. It's nice to have an option out of the box even if its not necessarily the best.

Plus, for Spotify you have to use a computer to transfer the downloads since they can't just go straight to your iTunes library through the app. That doesn't help when adjusting a playlist while away from home with no computers capable of doing that.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Podcasts are live broadcast, podcasts are personalities, podcasts are journalism, podcasts are voice, podcasts are opinions, podcasts are knowledge, podcasts are learning. Learning also about the music from expert presenters.

Fixed it for ya.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I hope they launch a web version of this and itunes. Firing up programs seem archaic now.

If you want to own a music collection, buy LP's.
If you just want to listen to music at home, hook your computer to your stereo and stream it.
If you want to listen to music in the car, hook your phone up to it and stream it.
If you want to go hiking in the middle of no where and listen to music, buy m3s.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Go to music app...go,thru and pick albums and if there isn't a cloud next to the song it's on the device. If is a cloud is next to it just hit download all....not sure why its so difficult?

It's not but it's also not consistent across the app. It doesn't work in artists so i get a full list of artists with no way of knowing if there or not. Similar with Albums no knowledge in the list view. I have to get right down to the track list before the cloud icon appears. Often without the network connection to just download and play, so end up pissed off.

Or you have the other option turned on and end up navigating twice. maybe with a quick duck off to service provider app to see if i have download limit to work with.

Great idea but implementation needs work.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Charge me £10 a month for spotify like access to all the songs in iTunes and I will be super happy.

I love spotify's social integration though, last.fm scrobbling and facebook especially.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Fixed it for ya.
I agree. Now, if you could only fix the sound quality of this podcast concept, so I would not have to torture my ears with this compressed digititus....meanwhile I will hold on to my md106 and scad's. Most recorded music was not intended for MP3 players..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.