Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BIGBUCZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I'll let you know the speed from my Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD external through USB 3 when I get home.

thanks,bro i'm looking forward to it?

----------

Samsung 830 via seagate backup plus. I want to get the lacie because it will allow me to use it as a boot drive or portable drive if circumstances (e.g. I upgrade internal HDD) change.

so you can't use the 830 for that?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I bought the Backup plus portable for the enclosure to work with the GoFlex adapter.

I've got it now but it looks pretty tightly put together, how did you manage to open the case? Did you follow any instructions?

*Edit* I've managed to pry it open (snapping only a few latches) and put the SSD in. I should've put a little more padding in cause it moves slightly but not enough to annoy me.

I snapped a few latches too. Not a big deal. Mine has no movement though.

michaelkc

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2010
Newcastle, UK
180mb/ps whoa that's pretty disappointing, I haven't come across anyone else that's had that issue......

Can anyone else verify there experiences with ssd external via USB 3

Here's the speed from my OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 128GB SSD in a Seagate Backup Plus case using USB 3.

YkaaP.jpg

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I did some simple tests awhile back with a 512GB Crucial M4 SSD:

WRITE / READ ...... Interface
167 / 194 MB/s ...... USB-3 Seagate GoFlex interface
260 / 382 MB/s ...... Thunderbolt Seagate GoFlex interface
230 / 277 MB/s ...... USB-3 OYEN MiniPro USB-3.0 enclosure

260 / 506 MB/s ...... PCIe SATA-III card in Mac Pro (Crucial M4 512GB SSD)

Using a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD:

WRITE / READ ...... Interface
495 / 507 MB/s ...... PCIe SATA-III card in Mac Pro (Samsung 840 Pro SSD)
242 / 376 MB/s ...... Thunderbolt Seagate GoFlex interface

That may give some relative guide numbers with these particular SSDs, interfaces/enclosures, and BlackMagicDesign "Disk Speed Test". I don't know why the results are better for the M4 than the 840Pro on the Seagate TB interface other than perhaps the larger drive size was faster.

-howard

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
hfg those are some odd results for the 840 Pro 256GB in the GoFlex TB. My 830 256GB gets 360/320 read/writes in a Seagate Backup Plus TB enclosure. Maybe there's a really big difference between the two enclosures.

FYI I've been using the 830/TB as my boot drive for over a week with no problems (sleep/wake etc).

bonedaddio

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
PA, USA
hfg those are some odd results for the 840 Pro 256GB in the GoFlex TB. My 830 256GB gets 360/320 read/writes in a Seagate Backup Plus TB enclosure. Maybe there's a really big difference between the two enclosures.

FYI I've been using the 830/TB as my boot drive for over a week with no problems (sleep/wake etc).

Here's some more testing with the Pegasus J4 and the Seagate GoFlex using a Samsung 840 (non-pro).https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1519473/
WilliamG, I've been following along, and I'm thinking I may return the GoFlex in favor of the BackupPlus; it's cheaper by $30.00 or so, and it certainly appears to do better (GoFlex with Samsung 840 = Write: 239 — Read: 377). Does it have the two TB ports like the GoFlex??
Where else can you get this kind of info, other than MacRumors!! Great forum!

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Yeah, someone else in this thread got that number too (180 I mean). Wonder what you're doing different to get those numbers.

I don't have it so I'm not getting those numbers.
But the difference is that they're using Thermaltake and you're not, I guess? It's a big difference between different USB3 controllers/chipset. Thermaltake uses ASMedia 1051 which is USB3 SuperSpeed. On top of that, Thermaltake has very good firmware, resulting in those speeds.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

Hmmm ... I would like those numbers!

Are you using the 3.5" desktop enclosure or the 2.5" portable enclosure?

My results were with the 2.5" bus-powered TB GoFlex adapter, it may be slower than the powered desktop version.

-howard

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Here's some more testing with the Pegasus J4 and the Seagate GoFlex using a Samsung 840 (non-pro).https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1519473/
WilliamG, I've been following along, and I'm thinking I may return the GoFlex in favor of the BackupPlus; it's cheaper by $30.00 or so, and it certainly appears to do better (GoFlex with Samsung 840 = Write: 239 — Read: 377). Does it have the two TB ports like the GoFlex??
Where else can you get this kind of info, other than MacRumors!! Great forum!

I'm using the 2.5" Backup Plus, which has one Thunderbolt port.

Hmmm ... I would like those numbers!

Are you using the 3.5" desktop enclosure or the 2.5" portable enclosure?

My results were with the 2.5" bus-powered TB GoFlex adapter, it may be slower than the powered desktop version.

-howard

I'm using the 2.5" Backup Plus. I also have the desktop 3TB Backup Plus system, and get exactly the same speeds with my 256GB Samsung 830, but I'm not using that right now. Interestingly, I get 185MB/s read/write speeds with the 3TB Seagate Backup Plus desktop. :) That's pretty darn good for a spinning disk!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.