Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Amazon seller selling a 15" MBP 2012 for £1,150.00.. too good to be true?

"Immaculate condition, open boxed unused, complete with original box and unused accessories, Minimum 11 months Apple warranty remaining. UK Apple reseller GBM Digital Technologies « Show less "

I could probably buy this and make a small profit... but is it too good to be true?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

"Immaculate condition, open boxed unused, complete with original box and unused accessories, Minimum 11 months Apple warranty remaining. UK Apple reseller GBM Digital Technologies « Show less "

I could probably buy this and make a small profit... but is it too good to be true?

Have you heard the saying before: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is”? Buy at your own risk.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
"If you ordered monday you run the risk of missing out as these units usually sell very quickly. We sell the units at a heavy discount as units have been opened and the warranty is -1 month."

Should I buy?

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Is "probably making a small profit" really worth risking more than 1000£? :rolleyes:
I wouldn't risk it.
I'm not. I might buy a 15" MBP from Apple - that way I know I'll receive what I buy.

When are the retina MBP's going to be on the refurbished section?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I'm not. I might buy a 15" MBP from Apple - that way I know I'll receive what I buy.

When are the retina MBP's going to be on the refurbished section?

I thought I saw one there once. It normally sold for $2700 and was marked down to $2400. Not exactly worth getting worked up about.

When I bought my late 2011 15 in hires antiglare MBP, Apple was selling the same model for $1800 in their refurb store. Mine was new in box from Microcenter and cost me $1600. Since you already have enough people telling you to steer clear of a deal that "sounds too good" if you are still thinking about it, why don't you investigate by looking them up online? A lot of ebay and amazon sellers have real store fronts and real web sites. For instance, Best Buy and Sears sell a lot of their returns on ebay. I feel a lot better about a great deal from a large outfit like Microcenter, Frys or Best Buy than I do about "some guy" selling a handful of computers on the internet.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I thought I saw one there once. It normally sold for $2700 and was marked down to $2400. Not exactly worth getting worked up about.

When I bought my late 2011 15 in hires antiglare MBP, Apple was selling the same model for $1800 in their refurb store. Mine was new in box from Microcenter and cost me $1600. Since you already have enough people telling you to steer clear of a deal that "sounds too good" if you are still thinking about it, why don't you investigate by looking them up online? A lot of ebay and amazon sellers have real store fronts and real web sites. For instance, Best Buy and Sears sell a lot of their returns on ebay. I feel a lot better about a great deal from a large outfit like Microcenter, Frys or Best Buy than I do about "some guy" selling a handful of computers on the internet.
Well, the unit has been opened and a month off the warranty is why it's cheaper.

" Business Name: GBM Digital Technologies
Business Type: IT Reseller
Trade Register Number: 2719704
VAT Number: GB560608842
Customer Services Address:
16-18 Midland Street
Ardwick
Manchester
M12 6LB
GB
Business Address:
16-18 Midland Street
Ardwick
Manchester
M12 6LB
GB"

"iClearance Store Manchester supplies a wide range of fully refurbished, open boxed items and new Apple Products to both the public and private sector. We also from time to time have ex-demonstration products as well as supplies of accessories and peripherals."

http://www.iclearancestore.com - the website.
Questions? Call 0161 605 3838

Everything seems legit.

Some of the guys details and he does have a website; is it really worth the risk? :(

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Well, the unit has been opened and a month off the warranty is why it's cheaper.

" Business Name: GBM Digital Technologies
Business Type: IT Reseller
Trade Register Number: 2719704
VAT Number: GB560608842
Customer Services Address:
16-18 Midland Street
Ardwick
Manchester
M12 6LB
GB
Business Address:
16-18 Midland Street
Ardwick
Manchester
M12 6LB
GB"

"iClearance Store Manchester supplies a wide range of fully refurbished, open boxed items and new Apple Products to both the public and private sector. We also from time to time have ex-demonstration products as well as supplies of accessories and peripherals."

(link removed)http://www.iclearancestore.com(link removed) - the website.
Questions? Call 0161 605 3838

Everything seems legit.

Some of the guys details and he does have a website; is it really worth the risk? :(

Everything seems legit? Everything?
Didn't you notice the big orange disclaimer across the top of the browser when you view this guy's site?!?!?

This is a demo store. Any orders placed through this store will not be honored or fulfilled.

Run away! Run away as fast as you can!

Save your money and buy your Mac from Apple when you can afford it.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Everything seems legit? Everything?
Didn't you notice the big orange disclaimer across the top of the browser when you view this guy's site?!?!?

This is a demo store. Any orders placed through this store will not be honored or fulfilled.

Run away! Run away as fast as you can!

Save your money and buy your Mac from Apple when you can afford it.
Ugh... why do scammers exist?

Funny, I asked him for the serial number and he didn't reply (well he did... eventually). There's another cheap 15" from top electricals... though that sender did send me photos of a 15" MBP... but it could be anyone's 15" MBP right?

"Yes iclearancestore is not fully operational but if you read the the about us or type the address into google you will see iclearancestore trades from a company called GBM digital technologies who are an authorised reseller.

If you also look at our rating and feedback you will see we have sold alot on amazon."

The seller said that when I brought the issue up... thoughts?

"Im afraid not the office is now closed, as you can see we are an Apple authorised reseller so cannot false advertise.

I am now unable to answer any further questions until Monday. If you want to purchase the item please feel free to buy and we will process on Monday or if you are still not 100% confident in our ability to advertise the unit accordingly I would suggest purchasing a new Macbook pro at full retail price."

Why won't he give me the serial number?

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Ugh... why do scammers exist?

Funny, I asked him for the serial number and he didn't reply (well he did... eventually). There's another cheap 15" from top electricals... though that sender did send me photos of a 15" MBP... but it could be anyone's 15" MBP right?

"Yes iclearancestore is not fully operational but if you read the the about us or type the address into google you will see iclearancestore trades from a company called GBM digital technologies who are an authorised reseller.

If you also look at our rating and feedback you will see we have sold alot on amazon."

The seller said that when I brought the issue up... thoughts?

"Im afraid not the office is now closed, as you can see we are an Apple authorised reseller so cannot false advertise.

I am now unable to answer any further questions until Monday. If you want to purchase the item please feel free to buy and we will process on Monday or if you are still not 100% confident in our ability to advertise the unit accordingly I would suggest purchasing a new Macbook pro at full retail price."

Why won't he give me the serial number?

Perhaps he's not a scammer. Perhaps it's just some shop who is just starting to get their web site set up. Is this who you want to send over a thousand pounds of your hard earned money to? Again I say wait until you can afford to buy from a reputable source. And I guarantee you a reputable source could answer your questions before Monday when you are spending as much money as they are asking for this thing. It's time to let this idea go and focus on getting a computer not the promise of a computer or a computer that might turn out to be stolen or a computer that might not qualify for Applecare for some reason. 11 months of warranty left really bothers me. A lot. Get the real thing from a real store and stop wasting your time following a (possibly) false trail. If you decide to send these guys your money and you wind up with a MBP with 11 months left on the warranty then you got lucky. I don't deal in luck when it comes to money but if you choose to do so, it's your money not mine.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
OP, I wouldn't do it as I said earlier. However if you pay for it through eBay, with paypal and make sure to use a credit card and not a direct bank transfer or debit card, you would be pretty safe. If you don't get the item dispute through eBay/Paypal. If they don't help, just dispute with credit card company and they will help you.

A lot of ebay and amazon sellers have real store fronts and real web sites. For instance, Best Buy and Sears sell a lot of their returns on ebay. I feel a lot better about a great deal from a large outfit like Microcenter, Frys or Best Buy than I do about "some guy" selling a handful of computers on the internet.

I think the OP is in Europe and not that States so not sure what other options they might have.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
OP, I wouldn't do it as I said earlier. However if you pay for it through eBay, with paypal and make sure to use a credit card and not a direct bank transfer or debit card, you would be pretty safe. If you don't get the item dispute through eBay/Paypal. If they don't help, just dispute with credit card company and they will help you.

I think the OP is in Europe and not that States so not sure what other options they might have.

Understood. BB was in Europe for a while. Of course Frys and MC are not over there but I had hoped the OP could find similar large stores rather than pursue that rather sketchy source they have been focused on for most of this thread. I think consumer protections in the UK are stronger than they are here so the whole credit card dispute thing might not be necessary. Still, I'd rather not buy something as complicated and expensive as a MBP from "just some guy".

I noticed on that web site they said they accepted paypal but when you clicked on it all you got was a popup describing what paypal is. Paypal buyer protection mainly applies to transactions on ebay. I don't know how much protection you get buying outside of ebay so even if the paypal on that site really worked, I'd be reluctant to buy from them.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE......CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

From past experience, I have found that 'immaculate' means different things to different people, and you must consider the likelihood that it would be unused if the box is open. Since you don't get to 'inspect' this laptop first-hand until they have your payment, I would think long and hard before sending my money. Personally, I wouldn't, but if you feel comfortable in taking the risk, trust your gut and go for it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Also bear in mind, just because those are the details he's posted on eBay, doesn't mean they're actually his. They could be posting the address of a genuine reseller when they aren't one.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Also bear in mind, just because those are the details he's posted on eBay, doesn't mean they're actually his. They could be posting the address of a genuine reseller when they aren't one.
I guess I'll never know. Good point though. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.