Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I have a base rMBP with a Samsung panel but did not realize this laptop is not user upgradable for RAM so I ordered a BTO with 16GB Ram and the 2.6 CPU upgrade. I also was not aware of the LG panel IR issue so my question is, if you were me, and you got the BTO in and it ended up having an LG display, would you just

a) keep it
b) order a new BTO and ship the LG unit back once you get the new one (lottery)
c) just keep the base rMBP you have now with (2.3Ghz/8GB)

Note, the reason for the 16GB upgrade is because I will be keeping this laptop for a long time and I don't want to run into RAM issues in 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
I have a base rMBP with a Samsung panel but did not realize this laptop is not user upgradable for RAM so I ordered a BTO with 16GB Ram and the 2.6 CPU upgrade. I also was not aware of the LG panel IR issue so my question is, if you were me, and you got the BTO in and it ended up having an LG display, would you just

a) keep it or order a new BTO and ship it back once you get the new one
b) just keep the base rMBP you have now with (2.3Ghz/8GB)
c) just keep the LG BTO (2.6/16GB)

Note, the reason for the 16GB upgrade is because I will be keeping this laptop for a long time and I don't want to run into RAM issues in 2-3 years.

I have the Samsung with 16gig's of RAM. Where is that option? :)

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I would use the machine as normal, and only kick up a fuss about the display if I noticed any problems when actually using it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

What kind of tasks do you do that you would expect needing more then 8Gb RAM in 3 years?

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
What kind of tasks do you do that you would expect needing more then 8Gb RAM in 3 years?

For me, Parallels/Fusion comes to mind for right now... at least that's why I was planning for the 16gb option... for the $150 bucks or whatever it was, it seemed like it was worth it over the course of the years I'm planning on keeping it... (still running an 07 whitebook o_O)

--rob

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Yes, VMware, etc. but also expect more RAM usage from Retina apps from what I've read.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

a) keep it
b) order a new BTO and ship the LG unit back once you get the new one (lottery)
c) just keep the base rMBP you have now with (2.3Ghz/8GB)

Next time, i would highly recommend researching a LITTLE bit as these headaches can be easily avoided.

I would go with Option B. Order the BTO, theres about 2/3 chance you will get an LG display. Go the an Apple Store near you, tell them of the screen burn and they will replace the screen within 2 days. Make sure to emphasise you want the Samsung screen or you will be back again.

Hope this helps :)

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Who cares if you get an LG screen? The odds are it will work fine. There were just a few bad ones out for the first few months and people got over whiney for no good reason. Get the 16gb.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Forget the screen - buy the laptop you want. If you have burn in issues down the road, have AppleCare replace the display. Seems simple, you have a warranty for a reason, use it :).

With the 16GB of RAM + SSD, Windows in VMWare runs near native. Depending on the VM I give it 2-8GB of RAM to use.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I just saw that rMBP showed up on the Apple Refurb site so I'm rolling the dice on one of those too. So, I have two rMBPs inbound and I'm hoping one of them has a Samsung.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I just saw that rMBP showed up on the Apple Refurb site so I'm rolling the dice on one of those too. So, I have two rMBPs inbound and I'm hoping one of them has a Samsung.

When did LG screen = bad screen? If it's not broken then don't swap it!

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
When did LG screen = bad screen? If it's not broken then don't swap it!

When most of the reports with image retention came from LG, and zero of them from Samsung.

----

Anyway, I'd still say... keep the 16GB regardless of whether it's LG or Samsung. If image retention, dead pixel, uneven backlighting, etc... show up, then go to Apple and request a display replacement rather than return the computer. I replaced my LG with a Samsung display, and it's been perfect since then.

The display is important, but I don't think one has to juggle through brand new computers in order to find a perfect one.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
So I just received my 2.6/512/16GB rmbp refurb and it has an LG (currently I have a base rmbp with Samsung). Decision time-keep the current one or the refurb (the refurb was not much more $ than the new base model and I'm not concerned with the extra cash the better model costs).

I think I'll keep the refurb and take it in if/when problems creep up with the LG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.