Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The branding is whatever. A lot of times you get a case. The thing I think most people overlook is bloat ware!! Just got my girlfriends dad an LG Intuition for a steal and in the applications thing it had almost 3 pages of crap that you can't remove. Of course the apps aren't actually installed but you can't remove the damn icons and it just adds so much clutter!

This.... This x5000000. ^^ Highlight this. This is what drove me from 3 years of Android (Rooting, even helping beta test roms). I was so tired of having to root to get rid of Adware on a $700 device that I PAID FOR. Good job Android, you helped me, my family, my friends move to Apple. <clap clap>

----------

@AFDoc and @pat park

I don't usually enjoy those soaps on TV but reading your posts while drinking coffee before starting my work day was kinda fun. Thanks. lol.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
OP does it really bother you that much? Enough to keep you from buying a device? Wow, I wish that insignificant little thing was what I had to worry about.
Sort of, yes. If I'm going to throw down money on anything, I get what I want, how I want it. And because I'm a ********** boss, I keep my **** handled enough to be concerned with such "insignificant" things. Get a sense of humor.

i don't see the big deal about branding. Its on everything we own anyway.
Some people consider branding a status symbol. The North Face anyone?
Cant say id ever choose a phone because of branding. My Nike sneakers have 4 swoosh logos on each one. And I've never seen anyone rip the Mercedes Logo off their car. This thread is foolish, carry on.;)
While I understand your point, I feel it's a bit off. Most buy NF, Nike, Apple, whatever, for the logo as much as the product. Most quality merchandise actually uses the logo in an aesthetically pleasing way. But what we're discussing here is equivalent to my Northface/Nike having an additional vendor logo sewn on. Just imagine your brand new NF having a big walmart logo on the back. :mad:

Also, MANY people take the logos off their cars. It's called de-branding, and (imo) it gives an already nice car much more personality and "mystique."

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
And I've never seen anyone rip the Mercedes Logo off their car.

Alot of people on MB forum remove their badges from thier Mercedes - its called debadging.:) I took mine off my Mercedes too.

But back to the topic...The OP there are others who hate the logos on the Verizon Note 2 thats why there are several auctions on ebay for a badgeless Note 2 back and even a sticker for the front menu button.:D

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
While I understand your point, I feel it's a bit off. Most buy NF, Nike, Apple, whatever, for the logo as much as the product. Most quality merchandise actually uses the logo in an aesthetically pleasing way. But what we're discussing here is equivalent to my Northface/Nike having an additional vendor logo sewn on. Just imagine your brand new NF having a big walmart logo on the back. :mad:

Also, MANY people take the logos off their cars. It's called de-branding, and (imo) it gives an already nice car much more personality and "mystique."

Yeah, the co-branding for the service provider is a little cheesy. Like having DirecTV actually on our Panasonic TV.

In the US since we tend not to move between carriers (and phones are generally locked into a specific carrier tech, like I can't take my AT&T phones over to Verizon), it's at least accurate. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
That's a VZW thing. Ridiculous how they branded the home button

That being said, the battery cover branding doesn't matter. You can go buy a regular back cover on Amazon for cheap.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
It's always a sad situation when people feel they have to fix something they just bought brand new. But, some people think having to root a device, install decrapified ROMs, and buy non-branded battery covers makes them cool.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I can't stand the bloat ware or the logos where I can't cover them up. My iPhone has a case on it so outside the Verizon name on the carrier bar in the top left corner, there are no obvious signs of branding. That's the way I like it.

If Verizon painted a huge logo on the front of the iPhone like they did on the note2 in the OP, I'd probably have stayed with AT&T.

Sure, these are minor issues. But this whole forum deals with nothing but minor issues. It's time people like AF-whatever his username is stop acting surprised when people talk about them.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Yes, the logos are ugly, but that's hardly where the ugliness stops. Everything about the Galaxy Note, based on that screenshot, is tacky and ugly...including the ridiculous Android home screen. Is that what Android looks like by default?

Kolmogorov

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Painting an unremovable carrier logo on a high end smartphone is so wrong. Why not just give people free cases with carrier logos? So that they can choose to use it or not. Agree with OP. Apple is holding the right line here.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
i don't see the big deal about branding. Its on everything we own anyway.
Some people consider branding a status symbol. The North Face anyone?
Cant say id ever choose a phone because of branding. My Nike sneakers have 4 swoosh logos on each one. And I've never seen anyone rip the Mercedes Logo off their car. This thread is foolish, carry on.;)

Not the same thing. What if your Nike shoes had a logo etched onto them of the store you bought them from? Or the Mercedes having the dealership slapped onto the back.

These sorts of things annoy me. I have an iPhone, not a Rogers iPhone.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Not the same thing. What if your Nike shoes had a logo etched onto them of the store you bought them from? Or the Mercedes having the dealership slapped onto the back.

Any time I buy a car, from our Kia to my a8, I make them remove the dealer "tag". I tell them I'll keep it on there and give them free advertising if they take $5k off the price. I've never been takin up on that offer. A bit of a different situation IMHO but I get what you're saying.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA

Perfect example.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Sheesh-louis, having a little aesthetic sense around here will get u plummored.

eeguh

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012

Exactly. I don't think the OP was complaining about the Samsung logo, but rather the Verizon logo being plastered on both front (on the home button of all places) and back.

Had I gotten the Note 2, I would've put a sticker on the home button.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Sorry I should rephrase it. Carrier branding. I don't mind the manufactur branding it. Sorry for the snide post. It's just I hate it when people post in threads saying I must have a problem to raise it and yet people found it ok to post about my incentives to post the thread. Defeats the purpose? The carriers IMO are just dumb pipes and have no right to brand a phone that isn't part of the contract. The phone is there as a reason to have the contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.