Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ehonglin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Why do people think "Retina" iPad Mini is IMPOSSIBLE for next generation? Or we have to wait for 3rd generation. Some even claim the next iPad mini will have better resolution but not Retina. (which never happens for sure.)

Early next year, every flagship smartphones will go 4" or 5" with 1080p.
Also, top 7" tablet will definitely go 1080p. (Perhaps starts from Galaxy Note 7")

Many people said "Retina" display needs a gigantic battery to run or the "Retina" iPad Mini cannot keep the current thickness.

How can a much smaller smart phone packs with 1080P ....... and iPad Mini cannot ?

OK, Retina iPad has more pixel (and bigger Display) than 1080p smartphone but it has twice more space for battery.

So, I cannot wait for "Retina" iPad Mini at Mid 2013 (perhaps earlier).

PS. With $429 price tag.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I'm a little bit skeptical about there not being a retina iPad mini anytime soon as well. But I also fully admit that I'm not knowledgable enough about the technical bits to make any real argument.

My question, as a non-developer and no experience in these things: Would introducing a third resolution option to developers really be such a hassle if that new resolution is at the exact mid-point between the iPad mini's/2's/1st gen's and the resolution of the 3 and 4?

Another thing -- I believe part of what makes the 3 and 4 so heavy and battery draining is that the higher resolution display requires two light bars (?) or something to that effect. Is this not a whole lot easier to overcome for a smaller sized screen?

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
No one is saying that a retina Mini is impossible. They're just saying that it's not going to be in early 2013. From what I've read, the company that is making the screens has said that they won't be available until late 2013. I would expect a refresh of the mini before that, so therefore it most likely won't have retina. Early or mid 2013 just isn't going to happen. And there will have to be work done with the battery. Those much smaller smartphones you're talking about won't get nearly the battery life that Apple will want to get for the Mini. Apple tends to have pretty high standards with regard to battery life, and people won't accept a Mini that has a battery life of 4 hours. So work will need to be done to get it to where it needs to be.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
What I'm wondering is why people feel a bump in the specs will lead to a bump in the price. Every time a new iPad has come out with the new features and even Retina, the price stayed in line with the previous offering. Not a single iPad has had a bump in price from what the previous was so why would the Mini get a bump?

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Why do people think "Retina" iPad Mini is IMPOSSIBLE for next generation? ...
Many people said "Retina" display needs a gigantic battery to run or the "Retina" iPad Mini cannot keep the current thickness....

I don't think anyone said its IMPOSSIBLE.

However the bigger battery and thicker device claims were based on tech from October. Over time everything will be possible, but in October 2012, a retina mini would have required a thicker size.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Why do people think "Retina" iPad Mini is IMPOSSIBLE for next generation?...

No one thinks it is impossible.

People think it is impossible without increasing the weight, thickness, and battery life.

How can a much smaller smart phone packs with 1080P ....... and iPad Mini cannot ?

Do those phones have the same battery life as the current ipad Mini?

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
PS. With $429 price tag.

My guess is that the next iPad mini will still be $329 (or less). Whether it has a retina screen screen will depend on whether they can get enough screens (shouldn't be a problem as it will have the same ppi as the iPhone4/4S/5 ... just cut the glass bigger ... yeah I know, it's not the same thing). Also, will depend if the A6/6X can be dropped into the mini without requiring a thicker/heavier design. I can't see Apple making the next iPad mini thicker/heavier ... they took enough heat when they did that from iPad2 to iPad3.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The $429 price tag for retina is the big question. They could undoubtably roll out a retina iPad Mini anytime this year... will the price be that slim? It might jump up a little, with an earlier release rather than later.

We shall see. I'd suspect it is almost inevitable by the fall of '13. It would be smart to do an April '13 release of such an iPad mini. The speed with which Apple updates the iPad line will determine how dominant they remain in the pad market.

Less/smaller releases means they will slip down in rankings. More/larger releases will keep Apple completely on top of the competition.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
This topic has been killed already. The iPad price isn't changing. Apple COULD do it, but then the price would go up, and they'd be pricing themselves out of the market. If they kept the price the same, there would be little or no margin. It's all about the business aspect, not what's possible. Just like HDD\RAM configurations. They COULD release every mac with a 3TB Fusion drive, but then would have to raise the base prices, so today, the standard is 1TB non-Fusion. As technology becomes cheaper the old "premium upgrades" become standard

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
What I'm wondering is why people feel a bump in the specs will lead to a bump in the price. Every time a new iPad has come out with the new features and even Retina, the price stayed in line with the previous offering. Not a single iPad has had a bump in price from what the previous was so why would the Mini get a bump?

Gave my reason elsewhere which was this mini is kicking butt
for $329 with lots of demand. Imagine it with Retina and a few bumped up features.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
because smaller screens have less pixels even though they have a higher pixel density thus requiring less power to power them all.

to maintain the battery life the current mini has and keep its thinness it is difficult to get a battery efficient enough to power more pixels as well.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
This topic has been killed already. The iPad price isn't changing. Apple COULD do it, but then the price would go up, and they'd be pricing themselves out of the market. If they kept the price the same, there would be little or no margin. It's all about the business aspect, not what's possible. Just like HDD\RAM configurations. They COULD release every mac with a 3TB Fusion drive, but then would have to raise the base prices, so today, the standard is 1TB non-Fusion. As technology becomes cheaper the old "premium upgrades" become standard

Well many would consider $329 would be a price to price themselves out of the market versus nook, nexus 7, and kindle fire BUT that didn't happen so if you are going to make something even better, why not charge more considering the even higher demand it would bring.

Ehonglin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
iPad Mini sells like a hot cake, now. No reason for Apple to sell iPad Mini with Retina display for cheap, especially when the iPad Mini 's margin is pretty low already.

I think $429 or even $450 is reasonable for Retina display with iPad4 specs.

There will be "iPad Mini with Retina Display" and "iPad Mini" without any doubt.

Obviously, look how Apple named Macbook, iPad product line. (even the Rumored Macbook Air with Retina Display)

Wait next week at CES 2013. Tons of 1080p 7" tablet will be announced.
I don't think apple will just sit and wait until late 2013 to release the next iPad Mini .....AND MacPro

Also, what is "the new product" for traditional early-year release ?

iPad Mini was just released and is very popular. Apple will not kill it easily.
I can see only iPad 5 (iPad 4 with a new look) and iPad Mini with Retina Display.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
Why do people insist on having a retina display on everything? Honestly, the current mini looks fine without it. Sure, it would be nice to have a retina display but it's not necessary to have one. I'd rather have the current display with excellent battery life than a retina display that's rushed out during the next generation because of "demand" with poor battery life. I hope Apple doesn't give in to this nonsense and really take their time developing a retina iPad mini with the same battery performance as the current generation.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Why do people insist on having a retina display on everything? Honestly, the current mini looks fine without it. Sure, it would be nice to have a retina display but it's not necessary to have one. I'd rather have the current display with excellent battery life than a retina display that's rushed out during the next generation because of "demand" with poor battery life. I hope Apple doesn't give in to this nonsense and really take their time developing a retina iPad mini with the same battery performance as the current generation.

Everything one does interacts with the screen except perhaps something like music listening. The future is killer screens. Nook, KF, and nexus 7 came with better screens and they will continue to improve. No nonsense as far as I'm concerned. Why not if retina has been introduced would they not want it in the mini to further heighten ones experience even more.

Ehonglin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012

No doubt iPad Mini is "Nearly" perfect, now. I love it so much.

But today technology changes real quick. How can you stop improving your product when all competitors have a better product or newer technology.

Everyone will equip 1080p resolution for next generation display. I don't think Apple will just stick with 1024x768 resolution. Of course, heat and thickness are real problems. Apple will eventually find the solution to these problems. IGZO display technology or better battery...... maybe?

Last edited:

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
It's possible, of course, but if you remember the difference of thickness and (especially) weight between iPad 2 and the 3/4 gen, it's something that Apple can't do with the Mini because this device is amazing exactly how it is in dimensions and weight.

The "hope" (for the Mini with an higer resolution, as well for a thinner an ligther iPad 5) is the indium gallium zinc oxide, aka IGZO display. Very thin and it doesn't require the heavy batteries of the actual "Retina" display, with a low energy consuption.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Well many would consider $329 would be a price to price themselves out of the market versus nook, nexus 7, and kindle fire BUT that didn't happen so if you are going to make something even better, why not charge more considering the even higher demand it would bring.

There's a line between a premium product at a premium price (ie. a Lexus), and pricing that removes it from mainstream market (ie. Vertu phones)

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
The profit margin for the iPad Mini is already much less than the iPad. I can't see them doing things like a more expensive screen and processor and still be able to keep it at the same price.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
There's a line between a premium product at a premium price (ie. a Lexus), and pricing that removes it from mainstream market (ie. Vertu phones)

Given the attraction for the mini, no reasonable price for the mini 2 with retina and keeping the size and weight acceptable will be turned down.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
The Nook HD from B&N is about as thin and light as the mini and the screen is Amazing. It also gets very decent battery life. Why can't Apple get it done if a bookseller can..? who knows. But it is far from impossible.

I can't imagine mini gen2 without the retina.
It's pretty much perfect as is. Do we really care about a faster chip- maybe some will- but that's not going sell product. It needs the new sexy screen.
If it takes them a year or longer to get it done- so be it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If Apple can't do a retina mini for the same price as non retina than they shouldn't even bother. When the 3rd gen iPad went retina Apple didn't raise the price did they? Is the $329 price point allowing for a future retina display where they don't have to increase the price?

----------

The Nook HD from B&N is about as thin and light as the mini and the screen is Amazing. It also gets very decent battery life. Why can't Apple get it done if a bookseller can..? who knows. But it is far from impossible.

It's pretty much perfect as is. Do we really care about a faster chip- maybe some will- but that's not going sell product. It needs the new sexy screen.
Does it have something to do with resolution independence (or lack there of) with iOS?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Gave my reason elsewhere which was this mini is kicking butt
for $329 with lots of demand. Imagine it with Retina and a few bumped up features.

That's a bigger issue than the technology part. I bet Apple's biggest fear was that the non-Retina screen would result in lower than expected sales.

Instead the market spoke loud and clear. Enough people either don't care about the resolution or are rationalize it as 'good enough.'

Apple has no incentive to bump the specs until sales start to slow down.

----------

It's not a question of possible....but possible with the profit margin Apple expects. B&N (and Amazon are willing to sell at a loss)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.