Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

google_android_logos.jpg
A bug in Google's text-to-speech engine is causing Google Now and Google Translate to interject the phrase "he now praises the iPad" into sentences that end using phrases such as "end with," "enraged with," and "filled with."

The mysterious phrasing, which first came about in October 2012 on the Android support page, was publicized by Hacker News last night, resulting in some hilarious sentences.

One altered spoken sentence, for example reads, "Larry Page used to use an Android. But that is now at an end, he now praises the iPad."

Theoretically, Google's algorithm improperly incorporated this sentence, causing the bug. Thus far, Google has not resolved the problem, so for the time being, Google Now and Google Translate can still be used to create humorous sentences.

Article Link: Google's Text-to-Speech Engine Praises Apple's iPad

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Translategate... Lets see if fandroids demand an apology from Google because Google isn't praising an Android product!

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No way it's a bug. It's an intentional dig against Apple

EDIT: I think it was supposed to be an intentional dig against Apple in some key phrases (e.g. Larry Page fell and hit his head so hard, he now praises the iPad), but it got out of hand :D

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So weird. I just tried it and it added "so much drama, he now praises the ipad".

If text to speech is not working, it may be because of Click2Flash or some other flash blocker.

Keerock

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
So weird. I just tried it and it added "so much drama, he now praises the ipad".

If text to speech is not working, it may be because of Click2Flash or some other flash blocker.

Aha! Thanks

foobardux

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Interesting that none notice the .com.mx topdomain and that you are not logged in to google at that site. It's just all fake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.