Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJD2578

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Can anyone help me?

I recently installed iOs 6 on my iPhone 4. I am not a registered developer and downloaded the iOs 6 restore file from the web. The install was fine but I have found iOS 6 to be a bit buggy.

This morning I wanted to remove iOS 6 and restore iOS 5.0.1.

Rather foolishly I went into my iPhone 4 settings and selected to erase all content and data thinking that I would do a restore to a previous back-up through iTunes.

Now when I try to set up my iPhone it will not activate saying 'This device is not registered as part of the iPhone developer program' I cannot get past this screen and cannot use my phone. This happens on the iPhone and on my iMac using iTunes.

I have tried a reboot - holding done the home button and on/off button.

Is there anyway I can get my phone working again? I really hope I am not going to have to buy a new iPhone!

Thank you

Any help would be massively appreciated

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Can anyone help me?

I recently installed iOs 6 on my iPhone 4. I am not a registered developer and downloaded the iOs 6 restore file from the web. The install was fine but I have found iOS 6 to be a bit buggy.

This morning I wanted to remove iOS 6 and restore iOS 5.0.1.

Rather foolishly I went into my iPhone 4 settings and selected to erase all content and data thinking that I would do a restore to a previous back-up through iTunes.

Now when I try to set up my iPhone it will not activate saying 'This device is not registered as part of the iPhone developer program' I cannot get past this screen and cannot use my phone. This happens on the iPhone and on my iMac using iTunes.

I have tried a reboot - holding done the home button and on/off button.

Is there anyway I can get my phone working again? I really hope I am not going to have to buy a new iPhone!

Thank you

Any help would be massively appreciated

Put the iPhone into DFU Mode.

Being that your next question will be "How do I put my iPhone into DFU mode", and if it is, why not type that question into Google, rather than here. Waste the same amount of time... Anyways...

How to enter iPhone DFU mode

1. Connect the iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes
  2. Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone)
  3. Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button
  4. Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected

newbies33

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Put the iPhone into DFU Mode.

Being that your next question will be "How do I put my iPhone into DFU mode", and if it is, why not type that question into Google, rather than here. Waste the same amount of time... Anyways...

How to enter iPhone DFU mode

1. Connect the iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes
  2. Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone)
  3. Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button
  4. Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected

Help! I need help too!
I was stucked in the same situation as above
but mine worse because my power button is not
functioning anymore.
I cant get in DFU mode!
Any other ways please?
Appreciated!

newbies33

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks alot for the prompt reply! Will try it out once I have the free time and revert back!
Thanks once again!
Cheers #

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.