Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
UK
done a full restore so when you turn it on its asks to be activated, this should be ok right ? so its setup right for its new owner ?

im 99.99% sure all my data is wiped from it, as its a restore and no sync was involved.

korbearus10

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
California
done a full restore so when you turn it on its asks to be activated, this should be ok right ? so its setup right for its new owner ?

im 99.99% sure all my data is wiped from it, as its a restore and no sync was involved.

As long as you did Reset --> Erase All Content and Settings, you should be OK.

smitty303

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Colorado
I did the same thing with my wife's iphone4 when she got her new iphone5. I am using it for myself on tmobile. However, I quickly discovered an issue with one particular app, textnow+ where even after doing the reset and setting up the phone for my appleid, using textnow causes a conflict between our two iPhones. The bad part is that we can read each others text messages because textnow must have a log on its servers with the udid of both phones. Whenever I try to log into textnow with my account, it logs her out on her phone and logs in as me, and vice versa. I've contacted Enflick weeks ago with no response. I've also posted to these forums with no response.

It seems like a major security flaw to me. I'm not sure it's only limited to textnow, but it's all I've experienced.

So, maybe selling an iphone isn't totally without risk, in my experience.

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
UK
unregistered product
deleted apple id
turned of imessenger
erased everything (wasnt anything on it really)

should do it.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
It seems like a major security flaw to me. I'm not sure it's only limited to textnow, but it's all I've experienced.

So, maybe selling an iphone isn't totally without risk, in my experience.
Sounds more like an app issue than an iPhone issue. It's not always apple's fault you know.

OP I've sold lots of phones and never had an issue, you should be fine.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm pretty sure they (Apple) fixed the bug that was causing the trouble with iMessages going to stolen/unregistered devices etc.

It's not just iMessage. We're still hearing reports of other Apple accounts (FaceTime, iCloud, etc.) still linked after erasing all content and settings so I'd still do it to be safe.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I always just click restore and call it a day, Ive sold 3 apple devices and never have had any problems

smitty303

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Colorado
Sounds more like an app issue than an iPhone issue. It's not always apple's fault you know.

OP I've sold lots of phones and never had an issue, you should be fine.

I agree, it is an app issue. However, Apple approves all apps so they have some say. I thought I read somewhere that Apple was trying to get developers to stop using udid.

The issue is, be careful when selling. Issues like this are few and far between, which makes it even harder to catch. I just wanted to warn people about this particular app. I believe, though, that you can email Enflick and have them delete your account, including all,udid info associated with it. That would solve the problem with selling it. Then you would need to sign up for a new account.

smitty303

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Colorado
I agree, it is an app issue. However, Apple approves all apps so they have some say. I thought I read somewhere that Apple was trying to get developers to stop using udid.

The issue is, be careful when selling. Issues like this are few and far between, which makes it even harder to catch. I just wanted to warn people about this particular app. I believe, though, that you can email Enflick and have them delete your account, including all,udid info associated with it. That would solve the problem with selling it. Then you would need to sign up for a new account.

Enflick sent me the following response for my textnow issue.

We are looking into a better way to handle iTunes restore situations like the one you've described in the future. For the time being, to resolve the situation on your devices, please do the following (on both devices):
- Sign-out of TextNow.
- Delete the app.
- Install TextNow from the App Store (not via iTunes back-up).
- Sign-in to your individual accounts.

Thank you.

It worked! Just passing this along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.