Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Mountain Lion is at least decent in terms of functionality.

Right now, it often throws up error messages for AirPort (though actual connectivity works), fast user switching is flaky, Addersses still seems to have problems importing some vCards (as opposed to 10.6) but otherwise it's smooth sailing. Lion, on the other hand, was an abomination.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Snow Leopard baby :cool:

They are very cute :)

cute-baby-snow-leopard.jpg

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I think these numbers show just how great Snow Leopard is, being that Apple works hard to force our hands to adopt the latest from them.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
snow leopard still the best

Planning to get the next iMac with HASWELL and hopefully 802.11ac. I wonder if it will be possible to install SL on those machines. Very satisfied with SL; the one thing that would be nice if it were added, would be multiple (redundant) Time Machine back-ups like in ML, but that's very unlikely to be added at this stage, sigh.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
1. 10.8 is selling well as it's currently sold on all new Mac's. Mac's are at an all time high in sales.

2. Snow Leopard 10.6 is still doing well, and is now used more than 10.7. A lot of Mac users do not like 10.7 or 10.8 for reasons many know.

3. Snow Leopard was the biggest Mac OS when it was released, and so was Leopard, Tiger, etc.

A 3 1/2 year old OS X release is still used strongly after two major OS releases. This is interesting as all new systems are sold with current OS's, and Mac sales are stronger than ever, yet Snow Leopard is being used more than Lion and just a tad below Mountain Lion. Apparently some users must be installing Snow Leopard over their new systems with their DVD's or disc images. That says more about 10.7/8 than anything.

Last edited:

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Yeah, it's too rapid for third party products to be updated. There needs to be another Snow Leopard. No new features, just optimization. It worked the first time. But of course the money minded execs will say "look at how that hurt us; no one wants to buy the new version!" Money making is not in the interest of consumers.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Wonder how many Lion users would have stuck with Snow Leopard if it had iCloud support.
I think Apple refused to put iCloud into 10.6 *precisely* to minimize the threat of Lion being branded as the Vista of OS X. Had they put iCloud into 10.6, Lion would be MUCH lower on that chart, absolutely!
And Snow Leopard would conversely be much higher than both the Lions.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I have no issues with ML and it performs well with Parallels 8 and Windows 8.:p

I like Mountain Lion in theory but it's giving me Wi-if headaches and iMessages are all out of order for some reason. I'd like to see Apple really focus on consistency and quality control for their next release.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
10.8 is just okay except for the loss of being able to "save as". The "duplicate" thing is just not happening. It is a stupid idea tied to another even more stupid idea... that being.... auto save. there was really nothing wrong with how it worked prior to 10.8 though. whoever at apple thought that was a good idea needs therapy. New ideas are not always better ideas. Don't fix it, if it ain't broke kinda thing. But in the name of progress Apple doesn't subscribe to that philosophy. Twisted! completely twisted.

Snow Leo 10.6 is so much better.

I like the ability to make changes to my documents and choosing to "save" or not to "save" at the last minute if I don't like the changes I made. That doesn't work at all in 10.8. so stupid = the "duplicate" feature.

Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I like 10.8 except for the loss of being able to "save as". The "duplicate" thing is just not happening. It is a stupid idea tied to another stupid idea that being auto save. there was really nothing wrong with how it worked prior to 10.8 though. whoever at apple thought that was a good idea needs therapy.
other than that, ML 10.8 works well.

I like making changes to documents and deciding to "save" or not to "save" at the last minute if I don't like the changes I made. that doesn't work at all in 10.8. so stupid = the "duplicate" feature.

It does work. You can revert to a previous version of the document.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I like Mountain Lion in theory but it's giving me Wi-if headaches and iMessages are all out of order for some reason. I'd like to see Apple really focus on consistency and quality control for their next release.

Message for Mac is hilariously inconsistent.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I like 10.8 except for the loss of being able to "save as". The "duplicate" thing is just not happening. It is a stupid idea tied to another stupid idea that being auto save. there was really nothing wrong with how it worked prior to 10.8 though. whoever at apple thought that was a good idea needs therapy.
other than that, ML 10.8 works well.

I like making changes to documents and deciding to "save" or not to "save" at the last minute if I don't like the changes I made. that doesn't work at all in 10.8. so stupid = the "duplicate" feature.

What are you going on about? Hold the option key and "Duplicate" is replaced with "Save as". The "Save As" feature was axed in Lion, 10.7, but re-introduced in 10.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.