Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Not a fan of this yearly desktop OS update. Devs are taking long to update their apps for the latest OS; by the time they do update, Apple announces a beta of the next version of OS X. (I'm not blaming Devs - I can't imagine them wanting to support multiple OSes within such a short timeframe)

I'm not saying pull a oldschool Microsoft and go 5 years between releases, but a 18-24 month schedule seems easier on consumers and Devs.

Right. Dammit Apple, stop all you out of control OS innovation. Stick with what we have for at least a few years!

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
Despite OS X versions becoming worse every time, people are still buying them without any exceptions. This ain't gonna make Apple work harder is it!

Okay exception is Mountain Lion: they learnt from their awful, horrible, silly, stupid mistakes in Lion and fixed most of them. But it's still not as good as Snow Leopard was at the time.

I really hope they stop releasing operating systems every year and instead concentrate on reducing the number of stupid features and making a solid, stable, reliable system with a focus on consistency, like it used to be with Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Did you even use leopard?! It was a buggy mess. Thats the whole reason Snow Leopard even happened.

Andreu

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Probably because most of the people that upgraded to Lion would also upgrade to ML. Those that didn’t upgrade from SL to Lion will likely never upgrade until they get a new computer.

Well Lion users probably can't stand it anymore and had to upgrade to the next OS to get out of the mess they're in!

Ahem!.. I'm one of them... :(

I agree that the Only 'Upgrade' was Snow Leopard, more stable, faster speed, and an even smaller footprint!

Apple is losing their focus.. Stable and speedy OS is why people are moving to OSX.
making it more like iOS but clunky and slow is going to drive people away from Macs again.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
My 2011 iMac shipped with Snow Leopard a few weeks after Lion came out, so I could get Lion with Apple's Up-To-Date program. I still need Rosetta for Adobe so I partitioned my HDD to dual boot. I like Mountain Lion better than Lion, but frankly, I spend a ton more time in my Snow Leopard partition. So I DID get updated Apple hardware, but it's the Adobe software $$ that's holding me back from 100% ML. And yes, I'd prefer Apple to release OS X on an 18 month+ schedule rather than 12 months, --take the time to craft it.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Wonder how many Lion users would have stuck with Snow Leopard if it had iCloud support.

1IVMm.gif

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
What are you going on about? Hold the option key and "Duplicate" is replaced with "Save as". The "Save As" feature was axed in Lion, 10.7, but re-introduced in 10.8.
Hey, that reminds me... I read a hack to permanently replace Duplicate with Save As, or swap them I believe, so that it's not hidden behind an unintuitive press of the Option key. Time to fix that problem pronto!

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Did you even use leopard?! It was a buggy mess. Thats the whole reason Snow Leopard even happened.

Buggy in what aspect?

My OS is still Leopard - 10.5.8, on my 2008 Mac Pro.

What I have asked for previously is a list of reasons to change to Snow Leopard or more recent systems. AppleWorks functions fine for me with word processing, spreadsheet, database and painting / drawing. As I have read, this won't work with 10.6 or greater.

Constructive comments are welcome.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Two hardly shocking facts :rolleyes:

"Mountain Lion, the latest OS is more popular than the last OS"

and

"Snow Leopard is still popular".

Fact 1 is clearly due to it being a dirt cheap upgrade, and those that were on Lion will have no real compatibility issues upgrading to ML.

Fact 2 is due to Apple dropping support for older machines, and for being generally the last true OS X release that didn't have iOS stuff poorly slapped into it and labeled as a feature.

----------

Right. Dammit Apple, stop all you out of control OS innovation. Stick with what we have for at least a few years!

The thing is though. They really havent done any innovation on the OS. Look at the feature lists. It's all full over overhyped eye candy. Sure there have been improvements, but not anything major.

The top 'Features' Apple lists for Mountain Lion over Lion are:

- iCloud integration
- A reminders app
- A notes app
- iMessage (basically rebranding of iChat
- Facetime (as above)
- Notification Center (perhaps the most overhyped pile of junk)
- Facebook integration (big friggin' deal!)
- Game center (cant comment - never even opened it)
- Gatekeeper (which 99% of people disabled)
- Airplay (Useful, but could have been put into a minor update - airplay is a very, VERY small package)
- Twitter
- Dictation (cant comment)
- Powernap

If you pull out the real features, you've got 2, maybe 3 'real' features there. The rest is just 'padding'.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I think these numbers show just how great Snow Leopard is, being that Apple works hard to force our hands to adopt the latest from them.

Apple is not forcing anyone's hand any more than most companies. You can continue using your ancient hardware forever if you like.

I drive a 3 year old Toyota Venza with a Navigation system that doesn't show me weather forcasts or gas station prices like the new Venzas do. There are far more 2010 Venzas on the road than 2013 Venzas, but I'd look like an idiot if I went in and complained to my dealership. As things evolve, older things get older. Grow up and learn to live with it! :mad:

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
Originally Posted by briansolomon
Wonder how many Lion users would have stuck with Snow Leopard if it had iCloud support.

I for one. Good point. I actually forgot about that irritation. I was forced from 10.6 into 10.8 for no other reason than I wanted to continue to be able to sync my devices the way I had been used to with .Mac for all those years. .Mac worked just fine for me and I was quite happy paying for it. RIP .MAC I miss you. Your buddy iCloud was not an improvement.

dickie001x

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Buggy in what aspect?

What I have asked for previously is a list of reasons to change to Snow Leopard or more recent systems. AppleWorks functions fine for me with word processing, spreadsheet, database and painting / drawing. As I have read, this won't work with 10.6 or greater.

Snow Leopard is quite a bit faster that Leopard.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Snow Leopard is quite a bit faster that Leopard.

Have to agree. If you're happy with Leopard, Snow Leopard is a worth while step - I wouldnt bother with Lion or ML however. Snow Leopard will give you additional speed. It was effectively a 'clean up' - they stripped back a lot of the unused code and legacy junk that wasnt being used and basically brought OS X up to date.

They then undid all this good work with subsequent releases (IMO - not fact)

blakey91

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
England
Can someone let me know why apple users love snow leopard so much? Ive had, snow leopard - lion and now mountain lion, lion wasn't great, but mountain lion seems fine, runs all my audio apps fine, full screen apps is good and everythings synced via icloud.

Confused :/

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The thing is though. They really havent done any innovation on the OS. Look at the feature lists. It's all full over overhyped eye candy. Sure there have been improvements, but not anything major.

The top 'Features' Apple lists for Mountain Lion over Lion are:

- iCloud integration
- A reminders app
- A notes app
- iMessage (basically rebranding of iChat
- Facetime (as above)
- Notification Center (perhaps the most overhyped pile of junk)
- Facebook integration (big friggin' deal!)
- Game center (cant comment - never even opened it)
- Gatekeeper (which 99% of people disabled)
- Airplay (Useful, but could have been put into a minor update - airplay is a very, VERY small package)
- Twitter
- Dictation (cant comment)
- Powernap

If you pull out the real features, you've got 2, maybe 3 'real' features there. The rest is just 'padding'.

That's your opinion though and the rest of us have our own opinions about what features are good for us.

I certainly enjoyed Snow Leopard but I'm in no hurry to go back to it and give up the features i'm used to by now.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Buggy in what aspect?

FWIW, Appleworks 6 works fine on 10.6.8.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Snow Leopard is still high because apple are dicks for dropping core duo support...

People are still using Snow Leopard for a variety of reasons besides just the one stated. I know I still use it simply because of the fact more than half the MAC games I have do not work due to the need for PPC support.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
I think these numbers show just how great Snow Leopard is, being that Apple works hard to force our hands to adopt the latest from them.

Well said. I agree with you 100% that Apple works very hard to force our hands on there idea that new features is always better. Nothing like being forced to change what already works well just because somebody else (Apple) thinks it's a good idea.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
"OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, first introduced in 2009, remains widely used despite its age".

The reason is simple: Rosetta is required to run applications that have not yet replacements:

- Eudora mail
- Palm Desktop PDA/PIM
- Canvas (ACDsee) drawing

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Apple is not forcing anyone's hand any more than most companies. You can continue using your ancient hardware forever if you like.

I drive a 3 year old Toyota Venza with a Navigation system that doesn't show me weather forcasts or gas station prices like the new Venzas do. There are far more 2010 Venzas on the road than 2013 Venzas, but I'd look like an idiot if I went in and complained to my dealership. As things evolve, older things get older. Grow up and learn to live with it! :mad:
Nice work on the covert-aggressive "grow up" insult. Unfortunately, you've got the wrong end of the stick. I've moved on from adolescence, and deal with it beautifully, along with the other third of OS X users. Maybe take a look at yourself, and leave that adolescence you project onto others behind. The sooner you do, the better for everyone.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
That's your opinion though and the rest of us have our own opinions about what features are good for us.

I certainly enjoyed Snow Leopard but I'm in no hurry to go back to it and give up the features i'm used to by now.

Yup, it is my opinion (and obviously I respect that its one thats likely not shared by many). Based on my own usage, I've never touched Launchpad (as its really, really pointless due to the way its implemented), Facebook/Twitter, Notification Center (Growl still wins IMO), etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.