Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Interesting how nobody speaks of fragmentation
Desktop OSes are a whole different ball game for fragmentation IMHO. Of mobile OSes, Apple has been consistent getting out software upgrades quickly and to many devices. Not so much with Android.

Desktop OSes are always more fragmented, for whatever reason. But again, Apple gets out its software faster than the competition.

----------

OS X Hello Kitty will rule it all. :cool:
Repost… but still good.
felidae.png

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Snow Leopard is still high because apple are dicks for dropping core duo support...

And you're sucking it.

----------

I'll never understand the use of the word "popular" in this context. Purchases of new Macs are not based on the popularity of Mountain Lion, it's just what comes in the package.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
Mountain lion is a great OS, not sure why the negativity about Apple's ability to develop a good OS. Yes it seemed back in the day Apple was writing an amazing OS which always blew competition out of the water, simple fact is competition has caught up. So now what Apple releases doesn't seem so impressive. Not sure about windows 8, but windows 7 is actually quite good. However I also think Mountain Lion is a very impressive OS too. Admittedly Lion was a disappointment. But still they fixed the issues with Mountain Lion, making that release equally as good as Snow Leopard.

This does seem to defend the "once a year is too quick" notion though. Everyone can agree that Mountain Lion is exactly what Lion was advertised to be. In fact if apple had waited two years developing Lion so it would of been released like Mountain Lion is, then Lion would have had that "wow big improvements" selling point.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
Even though I have been using Apple products since 1988, my feeling is Apple is getting too big now. A Monopoly. Kinda like Starbucks. One on each street corner. I like to support the little guy, not the big corporation. The independent coffee house. SO.... can some of you techy types please start a new computer company? just make your computers functional with minimal bells and whistles. I will be your customer!
in 1988 I was a rare oddity with my Apple Macintosh Plus. I really miss that feeling. Come on now... their has got to be another Jobs/Woz team lurking out there somewhere!

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Apple is not forcing anyone's hand any more than most companies. You can continue using your ancient hardware forever if you like.

I drive a 3 year old Toyota Venza with a Navigation system that doesn't show me weather forcasts or gas station prices like the new Venzas do. There are far more 2010 Venzas on the road than 2013 Venzas, but I'd look like an idiot if I went in and complained to my dealership. As things evolve, older things get older. Grow up and learn to live with it! :mad:

Since when is a three year old car anywhere near old? :eek: I swear that 90% of cars I see on the streets are at least 15 years old.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
Snow Leopard is still high because apple are dicks for dropping core duo support...

I can understand the full move to 64-bit. What I can't understand is with so many users running it, why they can't provide iCloud support. My mom just got an iPad and can't sync her contacts (old, non-upgradeable iMac on Snow Leopard), but she could if she ran WinXP.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
But 30% of all Macs would equal ~2% of all PCs. I guess this is great news and all but it is still being curb stomped by Windows Vista (5.67%). In fact, 10.6-10.8 combined just barely beat out the much maligned version of Windows.

Apple is generally a mobile company now. They may release new Macs from time to time, but I think they've either surrendered the desktop market or decided to no longer invest heavily in it. Apple needs to just continue to focus on their strengths lest Microsoft actually makes a move in the tablet space.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57561974-292/windows-8-gains-market-share-in-december/

Since when is a three year old car anywhere near old? :eek: I swear that 90% of cars I see on the streets are at least 15 years old.

Wow, now I don't feel bad about driving that 1999 Dodge Stratus.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I can understand the full move to 64-bit. What I can't understand is with so many users running it, why they can't provide iCloud support. My mom just got an iPad and can't sync her contacts (old, non-upgradeable iMac on Snow Leopard), but she could if she ran WinXP.

If they'd backwards ported the iCloud stuff to SL, I'd not be able to manage my Notes on my IMAP server because the Notes app on ML has a bug with IMAP mailbox prefixes. It doesn't work at all for many of us and Apple has not acknowledged it and no "Apple news" entity has felt the bug worthwhile to make a media sensation out of it. Apple won't get around to fixing it any time soon because they want us storing our data on their iCloud servers. Well this data of mine is too sensitive for trusting cloud servers. I use iCloud for other data somewhat reluctantly, but not for my accounts and software registrations lists.

So really, how about fixing it Apple? The Notes app is why I upgraded to ML. The only reason.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Apple is not forcing anyone's hand any more than most companies. You can continue using your ancient hardware forever if you like.

I drive a 3 year old Toyota Venza with a Navigation system that doesn't show me weather forcasts or gas station prices like the new Venzas do. There are far more 2010 Venzas on the road than 2013 Venzas, but I'd look like an idiot if I went in and complained to my dealership. As things evolve, older things get older. Grow up and learn to live with it! :mad:

This isn't right. I used to be able to sync calendars and contacts between my Mac, iPhone and iPad. It was great, then Apple took that away and told me I needed to upgrade to a new OS if I wanted it back. A new OS that my current Mac can't run.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I was not aware I could do that. Thank you for the tip! very appreciated!
trying it now...

Ya Apple could have made it a little clearer and easier to discover. In any case, pressing option often reveals hidden options so it's worth trying in various circumstances to see what you find.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I attempted to upgrade to 10.8.2 from 10.6.8 2 days ago, but it wouldn't let me install it on my disk for some reason.

I will try again this weekend.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Can someone let me know why apple users love snow leopard so much? Ive had, snow leopard - lion and now mountain lion, lion wasn't great, but mountain lion seems fine, runs all my audio apps fine, full screen apps is good and everythings synced via icloud.

Confused :/

• it is fast and stable, without weird graphics glitches (I'm talking to you Lion).

• it still supports PPC apps. There are developers too lazy to even update their damn installers (I'm looking at you Cakewalk!) and fun little games like Weird Worlds aren't getting intel updates on Mac at all.

• it still supports 32-bit drivers (Akai AkSys for Akai samplers)

• M-Audio still hasn't updated audio drivers for Lion, let alone Mountain Lion. Other developers are the same.

Surely the list goes on... I like ML, but as a refinement of Lion. I hate that the Notes app has the IMAP bug. But I love the new full screen mode, natural scrolling, gestures and autos save. Those all came with Lion. That's the OS I bought intentionally. Then they released it a second time as ML. That one I bought because I wanted the rest of what Lion claimed. They better not pull that again. I've dumped huge investments in companies for that behavior.

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005

We're stuck on Lion because Safari 6 doesn't run a Java application we use. Having used Snow Leopard for a long time, I prefer Lion because of iCloud syncing, which I hear is even better on Mountain Lion. However, I have read lots of complaints about Safari 6, including the removal of the separate search box. It's nice to have your prior searches and your prior URLs in different places. Not sure why Apple copied Chrome.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
But 30% of all Macs would equal ~2% of all PCs. I guess this is great news and all but it is still being curb stomped by Windows Vista (5.67%). In fact, 10.6-10.8 combined just barely beat out the much maligned version of Windows.

Apple is generally a mobile company now. They may release new Macs from time to time, but I think they've either surrendered the desktop market or decided to no longer invest heavily in it. Apple needs to just continue to focus on their strengths lest Microsoft actually makes a move in the tablet space.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57561974-292/windows-8-gains-market-share-in-december/

Wow, now I don't feel bad about driving that 1999 Dodge Stratus.

Mine is a 1997 Eclipse. Just starting to become a maintenance problem this last inspection. I'm poor. Impoverished actually. Once it dies... It's not like saving for an iPad.

Software isn't like physical merchandise. Back porting software is way more effective than updating hardware.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Snow Leopard is quite a bit faster that Leopard.

Have to agree. If you're happy with Leopard, Snow Leopard is a worth while step - I wouldnt bother with Lion or ML however. Snow Leopard will give you additional speed. It was effectively a 'clean up' - they stripped back a lot of the unused code and legacy junk that wasnt being used and basically brought OS X up to date.

They then undid all this good work with subsequent releases (IMO - not fact)

FWIW, Appleworks 6 works fine on 10.6.8.

Good to know about AppleWorks. Thanks.

How does Safari perform on 10.6.8? On 10.5.8, after visiting news sites that have a lot of flash video, Safari crashes. Is it any better in 10.6.8?

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
This isn't right. I used to be able to sync calendars and contacts between my Mac, iPhone and iPad. It was great, then Apple took that away and told me I needed to upgrade to a new OS if I wanted it back. A new OS that my current Mac can't run.

I feel your pain and these days I have major resentment for Apple and their ideas of how things should work. They want everyone on iCloud like it or not. Elevates my blood pressure more than anything.

I also have software that won't run on lion or mountain lion but at least it will run on my iMac. I created a partition with just snow leopard 10.6 so I can run the software. the other partition has 10.8 on it and I'm a prisoner of Apple's BS iCloud system just so I can sync my calendar and contacts.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
10.8 is just okay except for the loss of being able to "save as". The "duplicate" thing is just not happening. It is a stupid idea tied to another even more stupid idea... that being.... auto save. there was really nothing wrong with how it worked prior to 10.8 though. whoever at apple thought that was a good idea needs therapy. New ideas are not always better ideas. Don't fix it, if it ain't broke kinda thing. But in the name of progress Apple doesn't subscribe to that philosophy. Twisted! completely twisted.

Snow Leo 10.6 is so much better.

I like the ability to make changes to my documents and choosing to "save" or not to "save" at the last minute if I don't like the changes I made. That doesn't work at all in 10.8. so stupid = the "duplicate" feature.

So you're saying that Save As wasn't creating a duplicate file? That's what it always did. Renaming is easier now. It's in the title bar of the document. Choosing not to save changes is what versioning does for you. Really, it's a more thorough system that makes more literal sense. It's more human. It's what would have always been the case if the storage and speed had been there on the first day of desktop computing.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
If you pull out the real features, you've got 2, maybe 3 'real' features there. The rest is just 'padding'.

I don't know about that. I was one who liked Lion -- but mostly from a high-level perspective. A lot of the details were just wrong but ML fixed a lot of that.

I'm having trouble remembering the little annoyances of Lion that ML fixed but I swear they are in there! The things I can remember:

* notifications: I like it just fine. Nothing super about it, but it's reasonable well supported... and is increasingly well supported over time. Other notification systems I've used have been nicer in some respects, but it seems to me would get a certain level of support when released but over time third-parties would forget about.
* there are a lot of small things. I can't remember them all, but it's stuff like the fact that I can resize a window from any edge now -- it's just nice. Also, I greatly prefer that the mouse scroll "wheel" scrolling goes in the right direction. (did it ever make sense that the scroll wheel controlled the scroll thumb rather than the content being scrolled?!? Who was the idiot who though of that?!?)
* Mail app -- previously was a useless pile of junk to the point I stopped using it in favor of gmail's web interface. The ML version is now a joy to use.
* This was in Lion, too, but since many are comparing ML to SL: finally, finally, finally, Apple got rid of the incredible stupid yet (previously) ubiquitous "do you want to save changes?" dialog. Good god. It's a UX mortal sin to demand an answer from the user to a question that is, 99% of the time, "yes". And yet this was the standard for all apps, across operating systems for literally decades. Apple neatly solved the problem in a general and elegant way by providing a way to easily and automatically persist the current state of a document along with the undo state. (Not to mention that, at the same time, they solved the equally unforgivable UX issue that most apps would lose a user's work in the event of an unexpected crash or loss of power. Really, due to its rough edges, Lion does not get enough credit for its good points.)

I might be able to think of more points if I thought about it for a few minutes, but I've got to go see Sky Fall or The Hobbit now, so that's it.

----------

IDK, it is pretty cool.

BTW, this came from a cool webcomic called xkcd. You should check it out.

Er, maybe I got the direction wrong? I meant to say: I think Ocelot is probably about the coolest feline name... which is saying a lot because they are all pretty da*n cool. :D

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
It appears that both Mac and Windows have run into an "8" problem.

10.8 seems to be doing "okay" but not great while Windows 8 is expectedly not having the launch numbers of Windows 7 (but that's like asking Gene Chizik to duplicate Nick Saban's success).

Both versions of their respective OS made one major change: they both brought touch or mobile features to the desktop environment. Start Screen/Launchpad and full screen apps are just a couple of examples.

While Microsoft just bit the bullet and went all in with the touch space, I think it is only a matter of time until the line between OSX and iOS is so thin it is hard to see. Could 10.9 be the last version of OSX before iOS and OSX merge? Most of the gestures are the same in both OS environments already.

Add a touchscreen to that iMac and it becomes a tabletop iPad.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
So you're saying that Save As wasn't creating a duplicate file? That's what it always did. Renaming is easier now. It's in the title bar of the document. Choosing not to save changes is what versioning does for you. Really, it's a more thorough system that makes more literal sense. It's more human. It's what would have always been the case if the storage and speed had been there on the first day of desktop computing.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks and I'm an old dog (Apple user since 1988) Saving, or Save as, or choosing not to save at all worked fine. Perfectly fine. It worked fine in 10.6 and any OS earlier. It was destroyed in 10.7 and destroyed in 10.8. Yes... I know I can revert back to the original document but more steps, more key strokes.. for me now. "versioning" is just dumb. overall just more complicated than it used to be... It was not something that needed to be changed in my opinion and being that it is my opinion it is more important than anyone else's :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.