Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonny Craig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I have a 2012 128 GB SSD Air with 67.5 GB left.

I just installed Left 4 Dead 2 for Steam and it took nearly 15 GB of space :eek:

I have gone through a few tips to save space such as removing apps I don't need/use, languages I don't need, and made it so the mail client doesn't store stuff locally. Is there anything else I can do?

The only thing I think I can move off my SSD would be my music which is about 15 GB. I don't store movies or any other media on my SSD and documents+apps don't take up that much space. Would playing music from an SD card or USB 3.0 through iTunes result in any sluggishness? That may be my only option eventually.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Would playing music from an SD card or USB 3.0 through iTunes result in any sluggishness?

No. You might notice a very short delay if you put them on an external HDD the first time you try to access a song after the HDD has spun down, but that is it. In practical terms you shouldn't worry about it.

Maui19

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2007
Your disk is more than half empty--I'm not sure I would worry about freeing up more space unless you need it, and right now you don't need it.

That said, the SD card is a great storage option for the MBA (assuming you have the 13" version). I have a 128GB and a 64 GB SD card for my 128GB MBA. That's where I keep large files that I only use occasionally, such as movies, old finanical files, etc.

It sounds like you already clean up your HD from time to time, and that is a GREAT habit to get into, IMO.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have a 2012 128 GB SSD Air with 67.5 GB left.

I just installed Left 4 Dead 2 for Steam and it took nearly 15 GB of space :eek:

I have gone through a few tips to save space such as removing apps I don't need/use, languages I don't need, and made it so the mail client doesn't store stuff locally. Is there anything else I can do?

The only thing I think I can move off my SSD would be my music which is about 15 GB. I don't store movies or any other media on my SSD and documents+apps don't take up that much space. Would playing music from an SD card or USB 3.0 through iTunes result in any sluggishness? That may be my only option eventually.

If you are willing to offload the music: I can buy a 32 GB flash card for £15, and you can just put that into your MBA and leave it there - it will stick out just a little bit. There was a discussion about someone making a card that will be flush with the computer, but that's quite a bit more expensive. Music can live on a slow drive. The only thing that may be slow is showing the album art for the first time when you start iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.